What more can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jg2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a junior this fall 2019 and i’m looking for ways to improve my application as this is sort of the final year I can do this unless I end up needing to take a gap year.

I have a 3.5 gpa, which I know isn’t too good but I am on the track to a 3.6 by the end of semester 1 of junior year. My gpa also includes a pretty impressive upward trend, as every single semester my gpa has boosted with no exceptions. I feel this is impressive as my courseload obviously got more difficult. I have around 400 clinical volunteering hours (at two children’s hospitals and one hospice), 200 non clinical, and 55 shadowing hours. I have researched in a lab studying cardiovascular mechanisms in mice for the last year and will continue to for the next year, and I will also be attending a conference in San Diego to present our findings next April. I am on the executive board for my sorority (which I know could be deemed as negative possibly, but it was a tremendous leadership opportunity and I got to travel across the country for a conference as well. Also, a lot of my non clinical volunteering comes from my sorority). I am also a Spanish minor and currently work as a pathology assistant at my local hospital. I have considered attending the Atlantis shadowing program abroad next spring, so let me know how that may look. I hear negative things sometimes, but I feel like it would be a good way to get more shadowing hours under my belt, as well as the whole concept of experiencing the healthcare system in another culture.

Sorry to basically post my app in a very brag-esque fashion, but I just would like some constructive criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an earlier thread about the Atlantis Fellowship with a lot of ad coms/advisors sounding negative about the program:

Reactions: 1 users
I will be a junior this fall 2019 and i’m looking for ways to improve my application as this is sort of the final year I can do this unless I end up needing to take a gap year.

I have a 3.5 gpa, which I know isn’t too good but I am on the track to a 3.6 by the end of semester 1 of junior year. My gpa also includes a pretty impressive upward trend, as every single semester my gpa has boosted with no exceptions. I feel this is impressive as my courseload obviously got more difficult. I have around 400 clinical volunteering hours (at two children’s hospitals and one hospice), 200 non clinical, and 55 shadowing hours. I have researched in a lab studying cardiovascular mechanisms in mice for the last year and will continue to for the next year, and I will also be attending a conference in San Diego to present our findings next April. I am on the executive board for my sorority (which I know could be deemed as negative possibly, but it was a tremendous leadership opportunity and I got to travel across the country for a conference as well. Also, a lot of my non clinical volunteering comes from my sorority). I am also a Spanish minor and currently work as a pathology assistant at my local hospital. I have considered attending the Atlantis shadowing program abroad next spring, so let me know how that may look. I hear negative things sometimes, but I feel like it would be a good way to get more shadowing hours under my belt, as well as the whole concept of experiencing the healthcare system in another culture.

Sorry to basically post my app in a very brag-esque fashion, but I just would like some constructive criticism.
Your application would be bolstered by having some teaching experiences. You do not need more shadowing, especially not through a paid international program. Focus on continuing to improve your GPA and to score well on the MCAT. And when it comes time to apply, be sure to adopt a more humble attitude. Plenty of applications have been sunk for arrogance (it's a fine line). Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application would be bolstered by having some teaching experiences. You do not need more shadowing, especially not through a paid international program. Focus on continuing to improve your GPA and to score well on the MCAT. And when it comes time to apply, be sure to adopt a more humble attitude. Plenty of applications have been sunk for arrogance (it's a fine line). Good luck

In terms of being a TA?

Medical schools like to see nonclinical volunteering with the underprivileged, underserved. Does your nonclinical volunteering fall in that category? If not, try to volunteer with the underserved and underprivileged. You might consider volunteering with Spanish speaking communities. That would be a good way to leverage your language skills while also reaching out to underserved populations.

Ad coms like to see shadowing with primary care physicians. Around 50 hours is average. What kind of shadowing have you done?

Reactions: 1 user
Medical schools like to see nonclinical volunteering with the underprivileged, underserved. Does your nonclinical volunteering fall in that category? If not, try to volunteer with the underserved and underprivileged. You might consider volunteering with Spanish speaking communities. That would be a good way to leverage your language skills while also reaching out to underserved populations.

Ad coms like to see shadowing with primary care physicians. Around 50 hours is average. What kind of shadowing have you done?

In high school I did a lot of work with teaching Hispanic children English in their after school tutoring sessions, but i’m not sure if this would carry over. I can certainly look into this. I have shadowed a neurosurgeon, a peds oncologist, and a sports medicine doctor. It’s difficult for me because my own PCP is through an academic practice, so with med students constantly with them I’m not sure if they’d allow an undergrad, but I can ask or look elsewhere. Thank you for your insight!

In high school I did a lot of work with teaching Hispanic children English in their after school tutoring sessions, but i’m not sure if this would carry over. I can certainly look into this. I have shadowed a neurosurgeon, a peds oncologist, and a sports medicine doctor. It’s difficult for me because my own PCP is through an academic practice, so with med students constantly with them I’m not sure if they’d allow an undergrad, but I can ask or look elsewhere. Thank you for your insight!

Activities carried out in between high school graduation and college count toward your medical school application. Any activities engaged in prior to that don't count.

In terms of being a TA?
Tutoring (paid or volunteering), TA, anything that falls under the umbrella of education. Should be recent, ie, not just done in high school.
Activities carried out in between high school graduation and college count toward your medical school application. Any activities engaged in prior to that don't count.
I agree, minor addition being that if an activity is continued from high school then it doesn't hurt to mention it for continuity.

Maintain The upward GPA trend and continue to do what you love and love what you do.

If you post a solid MCAT you'll be competitive at quite a few schools.

The diminishing point of returns on shadowing occurs at about 50 hours. Atlantis will not help your application, you'd be better off spending the money on a nice vacation.

Reactions: 3 users