What Psych schools are money mills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edavt04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI there,
I am researching schools, and I somebody gave me advise of avoiding professional psychology schools at all cost (this person was referring to Chicago school, the Alliant, and Argosy). I am new to researching this PsyD path. Cna anybody shine a light as to why avoid those? I live in CA :)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
HI there,
I am researching schools, and I somebody gave me advise of avoiding professional psychology schools at all cost (this person was referring to Chicago school, the Alliant, and Argosy). I am new to researching this PsyD path. Cna anybody shine a light as to why avoid those? I live in CA :)
Thanks!
Because they're expensive, admit anyone with a pulse and money, and provide poor training.

Look at median psychology incomes, look at the debt levels you will have finishing a program. Now there is just the pragmatic side of things as you go forward.

As for training specific stuff, take a look at attrition rates, accredited (not APPIC) match rates, licensure rats, EPPP pass rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, there are many threads on this, but in a nutshell, yes, you've been given good advice to avoid professional schools. University-based programs (PhD and PsyD) have smaller cohorts, offer more face time with faculty, and many of them waive tuition (more typical of PhD programs, though) and provide stipends for living expenses. Don't believe the lie that the PsyD degree is somehow "better" for a practice career; most PhD graduates go on to clinical practice. Don't rule out PhD programs from the start.

Also a rule of thumb: if an "admissions counselor" or the like (ie, anyone but faculty) contacts you to encourage you to apply for a program, it's a sign to run. If a program advertises itself on a banner ad, beware. Good PhD and PsyD programs don't spend a lot of time and money on marketing because they don't have to.

Reactions: 2 users
Look, there are many threads on this, but in a nutshell, yes, you've been given good advice to avoid professional schools. University-based programs (PhD and PsyD) have smaller cohorts, offer more face time with faculty, and many of them waive tuition (more typical of PhD programs, though) and provide stipends for living expenses. Don't believe the lie that the PsyD degree is somehow "better" for a practice career; most PhD graduates go on to clinical practice. Don't rule out PhD programs from the start.

Also a rule of thumb: if an "admissions counselor" or the like (ie, anyone but faculty) contacts you to encourage you to apply for a program, it's a sign to run. If a program advertises itself on a banner ad, beware. Good PhD and PsyD programs don't spend a lot of time and money on marketing because they don't have to.
Thanks so much! What you say makes sense :)
Ok, I'll look for other threads on this topic :)
Again, thank yout

Look at median psychology incomes, look at the debt levels you will have finishing a program. Now there is just the pragmatic side of things as you go forward.

As for training specific stuff, take a look at attrition rates, accredited (not APPIC) match rates, licensure rats, EPPP pass rates.
thank you! Valuable info :)

Because they're expensive, admit anyone with a pulse and money, and provide poor training.
Yikes. "Provide poor training". So disappointing to hear. Thank you :)