what response do interviewers look for when it comes to ethical dilemmas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patience222

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering what interviewers look for in your answers? Ethical dilemmas are really hard ones to answer. If you see your best friend cheating, would you really go to the professor and report? is that really what interviewers think you should do? In my opinion, i probably warn her and move on! what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no right or wrong answer to an ethical dilemma. Think of a great well-thought out response and be able to defend YOUR opinion without becoming defensive or aggressive.

Ethical dilemma: Should 13 year old girls be required to receive the HPV vaccine?

Answers:
Yes, I think it's important to defend all women against one of the major causes of cervical cancer. A well thought out vaccine program can in fact help reduce the incidence of HPV in the future, leading to better health for the larger population.

No, I believe that the sexual behavior of young teens should not be assumed by a large governing body. The discussion of safe sex or abstinence should take place in the home. The cost of mandating such an expensive vaccine could place undue hardship on families in lower income brackets.

Can you tell which one I believe? I hope not. But how would an interviewer take offense to either view when explained in a rational manner? Reality is gray, so don't look at these questions as having only 1 answer.

thank you so much for your prompt answer! That was really helpful.. it clarified some of the questions i had. By the way, I like your writing.. you're very articulate.. I wish i could write as good. English is my second language and I hope I don't screw up my essay tomorrow at VCU!

Members don't see this ad :)
i had this question in my interview and i tried to ACTUALLY put myself in that situation... anybody who says they are going to immediately report their best friend is probably just trying to tell the interviewer what they think they wanna hear... i said i would talk to them in private and explain that they were cheating both themselves and the pharmacy profession as a whole. then if i caught them again i would tell somebody else... i got accepted so hopefully they thought that was a good answer

that's definitely what i would do too. Its unrealistic to go out and say yeah definitely i'm gonna report to the professor and say my best friend is cheating and screw up her life. everybody deserves a second chance

The Cheating Dilema: For this question you need to look up your schools code of ethics. I know Faulkner is applying to Auburn, and Auburn's code of ethics holds you liable if you see/know of someone cheating and you are obligated to turn them in. I know it sucks, and pretty much your entire class would hate you for it, but that is how it works

As for other ethical dilemas, I don't think there is necessarily a correct answer, which is why it is a dilema. I think you just need to show that you can relate to both sides. my situation involved compassion on one side and then moral/ethical/legal problem on the other.