what school will you be attending in fall 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambition03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just thought it would be cool to see where people would be attending for their masters... feel free to leave ur stats and any other info...

unfortunately, i'm still waiting to hear back from schools :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

ambition03 said:
i just thought it would be cool to see where people would be attending for their masters... feel free to leave ur stats and any other info...

Hihi,

Well, I'm honestly not sure where I'm attending yet - but it looks like I'm leaning towards Michigan or perhaps Univ. of Iowa (for different reasons). My list is below.

Accepted: University of Michigan, University of Iowa, Columbia, Dartmouth, Yale, University of Massachusetts - Amherst, UCLA.

Rejections: Berkeley

PM me for my stats.

Hi guys,
Very new to the forum, but here are my stats.
Accepted: Yale,Columbia, and JHSPH :)
Rejected : UC Berkeley

I am going to Yale actually because their program is pretty well balanced and I felt it will help me in my career as I plan to work with WHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys hear from columbia? I thought they didn't send acceptances till 8 weeks or so after application due date. I sent in my application in early january. It would be great to hear from them sooner, i would love to start making plans. Also still waiting on JHSPH.

Shellio said:
When did you guys hear from columbia? I thought they didn't send acceptances till 8 weeks or so after application due date. I sent in my application in early january. It would be great to hear from them sooner, i would love to start making plans. Also still waiting on JHSPH.

Hihi,

I heard from Columbia like 3 weeks ago - however I sent my application in the second week of December (so very early!). I'm sure they'll be sending you information pretty soon. I hope that helps.

are most acceptance/rejection letters sent via snail mail? or email? or available online?

did columbia send your acceptance letter thru the mail? :)

ambition03 said:
are most acceptance/rejection letters sent via snail mail? or email? or available online?

did columbia send your acceptance letter thru the mail? :)

I'd say about half-half. Some I got in snail mail only, while others sent me an email and followed up with a package a week or two later. Columbia only sent me snail mail.

Thanks for the info, aspiringdoctor. I sent in my columbia app about 5 weeks ago, hope i hear soon! It was done so much earlier - now i wish i would have just sent it. :rolleyes:

Columbia sent my acceptance letter about 3 weeks back and I had applied in mid December. I called them back in late Jan to check if they had gotten everything and asked about the process. I was told that on average it takes them about 8 weeks, but it can happen faster based on which department you applied to. Some of the bigger departments have more people to review so the decision is a bit faster. Atleast that what they told me. They mail you a folder that has all this info if you get in. Decisions are usually mailed USPS. Just wanted to pass the information hope it helps. Good luck.

accepted: UNC, Berkeley, Minnesota
waiting: Harvard, JH
rejected: none yet

i will have my pharmD in may but have no experience, so i'm a bit worried about harvard...has anyone heard from them either way? or does anyone know when we can expect to hear from them? thanks!

ambition03 said:

Dartmouth or Emory

I don't know yet... someone tell me where to go :)

Accepted: Hopkins, UNC (epidemiology), Berkeley (interdisciplinary)
Waiting: Harvard

I'm pseudo-waiting on Harvard to make my decision, though I don't even know if the Harvard program is right for me.

PharmD, if I don't hear from Harvard in the next few weeks, I'm going to assume it's a rejection. I know my application went up to the review committee at the end of Jan. You'll have a professional degree when you finish your PharmD, so I think that counts in lieu of work experience at Harvard (I'm kinda similar--I have my PhD but don't have real work experience).

Just got acceptance from Emory today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ashylips when did you apply and what program?

Congrats :)

Man, I am so nervous about not hearing from JHU yet..you would think with the start date in July I would have heard, which probably means... :(
ah well, there are other fish to fry..t.

thanks =)

i applied RIGHT on the deadline (jan. 31 or feb. 1). i think my application arrived jan. 31. cutting it close, eh?

i was accepted into the Global health program, my first and only choice.

I'm at a loss as to where to go. Right now, it's narrowed to Yale (Health Mangament), Tulane, (International Health Management) or Emory (Global Environmental Health).

The Emory program is a joint program between the Global Health and Environmental and Occupational Health Depts. It's a little bit of an outlier compared to the other programs I applied to, but this was what my college major was and international health management is what I want to do, so I figured I could make it work.

The Yale program is cool b/c you take management/leadership classes in the business school while doing the public health core, and I can do my electives in the Global Health department.

Tulane has a fantastic International Health program and the MPH in International Health Systems Management is also a joint program between IH and Health Systems Mgmt.

It's a good dilemma, but still a dilemma. Any suggestions??

Hihi guys,

Actually, I take that back - I think I'm going to be considering Univ. of Michigan or Columbia (for different reasons). Michigan has a better program, and Columbia has (I hope anyways), a better quality of life.

I've only been accepted to University of Boston, and plan to go there.
I had a 3.4 GPA and a 36 on the MCAT didn't get into any med schools, but I'm really excited to go into pub health and maybe med school later.

piebruin said:
I've only been accepted to University of Boston, and plan to go there.
I had a 3.4 GPA and a 36 on the MCAT didn't get into any med schools, but I'm really excited to go into pub health and maybe med school later.

Have you gone to the Boston University open house yet? I got into the International Health program there... I'm going to the open house on April 1... I'm pretty excited about going.

hopeful32- I don't know what to tell you. Is money an issue w/ you? Maybe that can help you make a decision better. Have you visited all the schools yet? What is your "gut" feeling?

Path2Felicity said:
Have you gone to the Boston University open house yet? I got into the International Health program there... I'm going to the open house on April 1... I'm pretty excited about going.

hopeful32- I don't know what to tell you. Is money an issue w/ you? Maybe that can help you make a decision better. Have you visited all the schools yet? What is your "gut" feeling?

I just decided to go, I hope its worth it I'm flying from L.A. I'm sure I'll get a chance to meet you there. My acceptance letter just said I was accepted it didn't say what specialization, is it whatever you want, or do they accept you to certain programs. My first choice was International health, but I guess I'll call them today to find out.

piebruin said:
I just decided to go, I hope its worth it I'm flying from L.A. I'm sure I'll get a chance to meet you there. My acceptance letter just said I was accepted it didn't say what specialization, is it whatever you want, or do they accept you to certain programs. My first choice was International health, but I guess I'll call them today to find out.

I'm guessing you probably got into the specialization that you wanted to. My first choice was International health as well. From what I know of Boston, it has an excellent IH program- which I am very excited to check out on Friday!

Path2Felicity said:
I'm guessing you probably got into the specialization that you wanted to. My first choice was International health as well. From what I know of Boston, it has an excellent IH program- which I am very excited to check out on Friday!

Hihi guys!

I visited Columbia today and was not impressed at all. I'll definately be going to Univ. of Michigan now.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys!

I visited Columbia today and was not impressed at all. I'll definately be going to Univ. of Michigan now.

Hey...I never applied to Columbia b/c I missed the deadline. But I really regretted not applying afterward. So I'm just curious--what did you not like about the program???

AtlChic said:
Hey...I never applied to Columbia b/c I missed the deadline. But I really regretted not applying afterward. So I'm just curious--what did you not like about the program???

Hihi!

Well, let's see... there were many things I didn't like about my visit, and I'll list them off.

1) The campus was very ugly - it was a collection of old brick buildings in a part of New York City that was virtually off in the middle of nowhere (and not a great neighborhood either).

2) The students didn't seem very happy - I talked to about half a dozen, and of those, half of them seemed pretty unhappy about being at Columbia.

3) The dorms were awful - literally a mouse-hole room with a bed, desk and closet, nothing else. They weren't very nice at all, and for someone who is coming from out of state, it's a major problem.

4) I don't think the cirriculum for my department is as strong as Michigan's - since HPM is only 3 semesters long. I didn't feel like I'd learn enough in that much time.

5) The career fair wasn't impressive - there were maybe 20 recruiters there, and I don't know how that can possibly service the entire graduting class across ALL departments.

6) I didn't like New York City very much... although I am a city person, I found the place to be over-crowded, expensive, and the people were often very rude (not the school people, but the general public). I got fed up quickly with waiting for 2 hours in traffic to only go 20 miles. It's something I'd rather not deal with again.

7) Career services was not very developed - they had 2 people supposedly in charge of that, but when I went to the "career services office" - it was basically a room full of books, and was told it was always empty and you had to look everything up yourself.

8) The whole event was very disorganized. People seemed to be more impressed with the name of Columbia and New York City than of the actual school and programs itself, which I thought was pathetic. Many people there were pre-meds who failed and were hungry for prestige and/or redemption (in my opinion), and many others were totally aimless and directionless being admitted but with no real goals for the future (which was also pathetic to see at the grad school level). Many of them had no idea what they wanted to do, and many were asking to switch to other departments blindly without thinking.

If you want any elaboration on any of the above points, respond or PM me and I'll be happy to tell you more.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
I got fed up quickly with waiting for 2 hours in traffic to only go 20 miles. It's something I'd rather not deal with again.

Wow you singlehandedly made me stick columbia to the bottom of my list...haha. But you DROVE in NYC?? Oh you're just crazy! I wouldn't ride a bike in the city, much less a car. And as smelly/dirty/crowded as the subway system was, it's pretty good.

Speaking of smell...I never knew what it was, it seemed to be a mix of urine and potatoes, I didn't know whether to be disgusted or intrigued :confused: . /random thought.

Hey AspiringDoct,

Thanks for all your insight on the schoo.. You really made me feel better and totally okay with NOT applying there! I am really surprised to hear about the lack of effort in career services and the program itself. Oh well!

1) The campus was very ugly - it was a collection of old brick buildings in a part of New York City that was virtually off in the middle of nowhere (and not a great neighborhood either).

Just a quick observation about the location of Columbia (I did my MS at Columbia in BME, but I did not apply there for my MPH, I know very little about the Columbia MPH program). The Columbia med school campus (where I'm guessing the School of Public Health is located) is not in the same area as the main campus (main campus is in Morningside Heights arround 110th St, med campus is in Washington Heights around 168th St). Universally, med campuses tend to be in the worst areas of the city because that's where you'll find the patient population (this is true with most med schools... Johns Hopkins med campus for instance is in the worst part of Baltimore, Cornell med school is in NY City instead of Ithaca, etc). Anyhows, I just wanted to point out that this out as to why the campus was not near the main campus and in a bad neighborhood.

confettiflyer said:
Wow you singlehandedly made me stick columbia to the bottom of my list...haha. But you DROVE in NYC?? Oh you're just crazy! I wouldn't ride a bike in the city, much less a car. And as smelly/dirty/crowded as the subway system was, it's pretty good.

Speaking of smell...I never knew what it was, it seemed to be a mix of urine and potatoes, I didn't know whether to be disgusted or intrigued :confused: . /random thought.

Hihi!

Actually, I didn't drive myself - that's how long it took to get from the airport to my hotel by taxi (paying for every minute of it)... oddly enough on my way there, some guy climbed on the hood of our taxi during when it was stopped and flipped us off because he was trying to cross the street while the light was red (which he shouldn't have been doing anyways).

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

Actually, I didn't drive myself - that's how long it took to get from the airport to my hotel by taxi (paying for every minute of it)... oddly enough on my way there, some guy climbed on the hood of our taxi during when it was stopped and flipped us off because he was trying to cross the street while the light was red (which he shouldn't have been doing anyways).

omg that's hillarious....but wait did you fly into JFK? If so, then it should have been a flat rate from the airport to manhattan, you shouldn't have been paying by the minute. Even so it was expensive...in the realm of $40 if memory serves me right.

On the way back we took the A train...saved a WHOLE lot of money, but oh it was hell hauling giant pieces of luggage in a crowded subway. Had to buzz the lady to use the handicap door instead of the turnstyles. Ugh never again.

I'm going to Univ. of Texas, which I haven't seen anyone mention. Anyway, that's where I'll be.

Emory :cool:

ambition03 said:

SmartAlek said:

Hey smartalek what concentration are you going to emory for?

Dartmouth CECS, and excited. Not to mention happy!!

PolarBear04 said:

Hey I'm still deciding but leaning toward Dartmouth. I recently visisted the school, and talked to some people and i really like the program. Are you coming straight from undergrad, and doing the public health thing? Or are you thinking medschool?

I graduated in 2004 and since I have been floating around trying to learn spanish, become cultured, volunteer etc. I do have intentions of seeking additional schooling after the CECS program. Medicine is a possibility, as well as a phD. What about you? Are you just finishing undergrad? Did you apply for housing yet? I did.

@AtlChic

I will be in the epidemiology program. Will you be at Emory and if so, what's your concentration?

AtlChic said:
Hey I'm still deciding but leaning toward Dartmouth. I recently visisted the school, and talked to some people and i really like the program. Are you coming straight from undergrad, and doing the public health thing? Or are you thinking medschool?

PolarBear04 said:

I'm also thinking about going to Dartmouth CECS.

i'm going to the dartmouth CECS. i plan on going to a medical school afterwards.

hi there

i just finished the mph program at columbia. :thumbup: (graduating next week, in fact!) pm me if you have questions about the school.

lulubean said:
hi there

i just finished the mph program at columbia. :thumbup: (graduating next week, in fact!) pm me if you have questions about the school.

I'm also graduating next week (Monday to be exact) but from Emory with an epi concentration. If anyone has questions about their program, feel free to pm me as well.

Dartmouth CECS! :)

I am going to Oregon Health & Science University, The Oregon MPH.
Epid/Biostats

This summer I will be interning in Denver working in health policy. :D

Good luck at school everyone!

wow, does berkeley not accept anyone? seems as though some of you got into all the best masters programs in the country except cal??? what' up w/ that berkeley?
by the way, i got into my alma maters (iowa and gw), emory, and dartmouth cecs for mph programs? while health care management programs at the 1st 3 would have rocked and these 3 are all in better locations IMHO vs. boring, cold hanover, NH, i'm going to the dartmouth cecs simply because it's only 9 months vs. 2 yrs at the others...this time factor is huge to me because 10+ yrs of medical training will follow and i want to eventually have a job and make some money!!!

AspiringDoctor9 said:
I'd say about half-half. Some I got in snail mail only, while others sent me an email and followed up with a package a week or two later. Columbia only sent me snail mail.
what's snail mail?

rajloungani said:
wow, does berkeley not accept anyone? seems as though some of you got into all the best masters programs in the country except cal??? what' up w/ that berkeley?
by the way, i got into my alma maters (iowa and gw), emory, and dartmouth cecs for mph programs? while health care management programs at the 1st 3 would have rocked and these 3 are all in better locations IMHO vs. boring, cold hanover, NH, i'm going to the dartmouth cecs simply because it's only 9 months vs. 2 yrs at the others...this time factor is huge to me because 10+ yrs of medical training will follow and i want to eventually have a job and make some money!!!

I actually did my undergrad from Berkeley, and I hear they usually dont like accepting their undergrads for their grad program unless they are really exceptional. If you look at the student profiles you will hardly find ppl who did both their degrees from CAL.

rajloungani said:
what's snail mail?

Snail mail is mail delivered by the postal service. As opposed to e-mail.

rajloungani said:

Hihi!

You know, I really have no clue what happened with me and Berkeley. They were my only rejection of out 8 schools. God knows what's going on in that admissions department..............

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys!

I chose to go to Berkeley after an unimpressive visit to columbia as well.

what was so unimpressive about columbia? i got accepted to the health mgmt program but havent visited the campus. also got into the human nutrition as well as international health program at michigan, but really unsure! please help!