What schools cut off at 16 or lower scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabeck74

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what schools have a cutoff score per section on the DAT. I contacted LSU, and they don't like to see anything below a 17 :eek:

Anyone know what other schools have similar cutoffs?

Members don't see this ad.

jabeck74 said:
Does anyone know what schools have a cutoff score per section on the DAT. I contacted LSU, and they don't like to see anything below a 17 :eek:

Anyone know what other schools have similar cutoffs?

hmmm so you have to have all around 17s? even if you have 1 score, say PAT of 15 or 16, but an AA of 20+ ??? That is quite scary.

TUFTS DAT requirement:

Test must be completed after June 1, 2003; applicants are strongly encouraged, though, to complete it before January 1, 2006;
Minimum scores:

15 Academic Average

14 Perceptual Ability

15 Total Science

Additional Requirement:
A minimum of 30 hours observing/assisting in a general dentist's office

ucsf "wants" 19+ all around.. i'm not sure wat the cutoff is though..

You have to look at what you scored a 16 or lower on. For a composite score 16 if something like the 15th percentile. That is very low. However for one of the sections with lower average scores like the PAT a 16 is about the 42nd percentile.

See http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_usermanual.pdf for a listing of recent percentile scores correlated to standard scores.

Just as an example, I am currently a first year student at the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry. I scored a 15 on the PAT (31st percentile), but I scored a 21 academic average (93rd percentile).

At OU the admissions director doesn't think that the PAT has validity for predicting hand skills. He would just like to see at least a 15 and other than that seems to mostly ignore the PAT score. So I got in based on my academic strength despite a low PAT score.

So it depends on the factors. Other portions of your application may compensate for a low score on one or two sections. It also depends on what the school thinks of those specific sections.