What schools did you turn down to go to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochemgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering....

Members don't see this ad.

same here, I heard USC is the back up school for CA residents. ANYBODY turn down another school for USC?? I heard UCLA is the best in CA, then UCSF,UoP,LL, lastly USC... is that right?
(I personally would turn down NYC, Meharry and Howard for USC, NYC is more expensive....)

Members don't see this ad :)
is this a joke?

RE: What schools did you turn down to go to USC?

Only school I turned down was USC itself. Had no problem choosing ASDOH over USC :D

Did you actually choose SC over ASDOH?? :eek:

Ok....all i see is a bunch of haterrs here lol...first off...i don't care what dental school you got accepted to...we are all going to become dentists...and the word is that USC gives the best clinical experience around...my brother is graduating from USC and although he does share many negative aspects of the school...he reminds me that USC will give you great clinical experience and that every school has its pitfalls...now if you wanna go to UCLA great...ur gonna be book smart and save some money but ur also not going to have as good clinical skills as a USC graduate...my family is here...and lets say ASDOH is not going to give me anything more then what USC will give me....no school is "better"...they are dental schools and at the end of the day....and please explain to me this...why if USC is soo bad...more and more schools are moving toward PBL?

Ok....all i see is a bunch of haterrs here lol...first off...i don't care what dental school you got accepted to...we are all going to become dentists...and the word is that USC gives the best clinical experience around...my brother is graduating from USC and although he does share many negative aspects of the school...he reminds me that USC will give you great clinical experience and that every school has its pitfalls...now if you wanna go to UCLA great...ur gonna be book smart and save some money but ur also not going to have as good clinical skills as a USC graduate...my family is here...and lets say ASDOH is not going to give me anything more then what USC will give me....no school is "better"...they are dental schools and at the end of the day....and please explain to me this...why if USC is soo bad...more and more schools are moving toward PBL?

Your right bmrboy, USC does get a lot of bad publicity on these forums where in reality we will all end up with a DDS/DMD degree. However, i wouldnt go so far to state that USC prepares you better clinically than UCLA. Although USC may have more patients, i doubt you can conclusively say USC is clinically superior to UCLA. A wise poster once said, its not the sheer number of patients you see, but the quality of the patient (diversity in procedures). Also, more and more schools may be implementing some form of PBL, it is still combined with traditional lecture. PBL is effective, the argument is is it effective by itself. also, when i interviewed at USC, they mentioned that they were planning to reimplement traditional lectures. To everyone else, the OP asked a genuine question, lets respect the thread and lay off the sarcastic remarks. :)

USC is a great school if you like pbl. Its in CA (there are alot of folks crazy about cali) and as the other poster said you can get a great clinical experience there. Who cares if you choose X school over Y school. No school is "better" than others. For those who say so, then why don't they just make an "OFFICIAL U.S DENTAL SCHOOL RANKING". Go where ever it fits your needs. :thumbup:

Your right bmrboy, USC does get a lot of bad publicity on these forums where in reality we will all end up with a DDS/DMD degree. However, i wouldnt go so far to state that USC prepares you better clinically than UCLA. Although USC may have more patients, i doubt you can conclusively say USC is clinically superior to UCLA. A wise poster once said, its not the sheer number of patients you see, but the quality of the patient (diversity in procedures). Also, more and more schools may be implementing some form of PBL, it is still combined with traditional lecture. PBL is effective, the argument is is it effective by itself. also, when i interviewed at USC, they mentioned that they were planning to reimplement traditional lectures. To everyone else, the OP asked a genuine question, lets respect the thread and lay off the sarcastic remarks. :)

oh i wasnt trying to be sarcastic and to the OP it was a valid question...many of the other posts in response were sarcastic and critical of USC and those are what i was responding to...but i have 2 friends at UCLA as well and they say clinically they aren't as good...and USC has a lot of requirements which is why i said that they get a lot of clinical experience not because of the number of patients...but yes all in all we will all be DDS/DMD...and go to whatever shcool fits ur needs as someone else said in this thread...:thumbup:

i guess tuition plays a minimal role as a determining factor for you.

Are you guys on crack!!! Envision, Bmrboy is right, I GO TO USC...and I am also one of the two USC representative for the UCLA pre-dental society...So I do get to meet many UCLA dental students and I have talked to them...Clinically we have much higher number of requirements than UCLA...UCLA seems to sometimes have about 1/4 of the requirements in some areas as USC. So lets say (this is only an example and not a fact) IF ucla had 25 extraction in order to graduate we would have something around 90 to 100. So it is not the patient pool, but the amount of clinical experience you accumulate from USC that renders you better clinically vs other schools. Many upperclassman complain that we have much more requirements than not only UCLA, but a lot of other dental schools....as for PBL, i have made many comments on my older posts...

The best school, is the school where YOU can gain the most, regardless of its reputation!!!

I've said it before and will say it again dentistry is all about experience.

and the answer to the original question "what schools did I turn down", well, all the ones I got accepted to except USC!!!

Are you guys on crack!!! Envision, Bmrboy is right, I GO TO USC...and I am also one of the two USC representative for the UCLA pre-dental society...So I do get to meet many UCLA dental students and I have talked to them...Clinically we have much higher number of requirements than UCLA...UCLA seems to sometimes have about 1/4 of the requirements in some areas as USC. So lets say (this is only an example and not a fact) IF ucla had 25 extraction in order to graduate we would have something around 90 to 100. So it is not the patient pool, but the amount of clinical experience you accumulate from USC that renders you better clinically vs other schools. Many upperclassman complain that we have much more requirements than not only UCLA, but a lot of other dental schools....as for PBL, i have made many comments on my older posts...

The best school, is the school where YOU can gain the most, regardless of its reputation!!!

I've said it before and will say it again dentistry is all about experience.

and the answer to the original question "what schools did I turn down", well, all the ones I got accepted to except USC!!!

That's right!!! lol :smuggrin: :thumbup:

Thanks for all the comments! I have chose USC because I want to stay and practice in california. I think if I went to ASDOH and tried to come back to Cali it would be hard to find a practice to work in then graduating from USC. I heard USC alumni tend to hire it's own..correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks for all the comments! I have chose USC because I want to stay and practice in california. I think if I went to ASDOH and tried to come back to Cali it would be hard to find a practice to work in then graduating from USC. I heard USC alumni tend to hire it's own..correct me if I'm wrong...

I think most dental offices that offer a position will usually take the dentist: one, who is well trained, competent, reliable, amiable; and two, who has the money for the buy in. I would be surprised if the locality of the dental school is the primary factor in hiring.

I graduated from UNLV and am now practicing in Southern California. I have not had a problem finding positions. I am currently working at two nice offices and neither cared at all that I was from the first graduating class at UNLV. Where I graduated from has been a non-factor.