**What Schools Should I Apply To? / What Are My Chances?** (Read if this is you)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't go to Detroit Mercy.

We have terrible professors. Only a few are decent and 2-3 profs that are really amazing. Beside that, communication at this school sucks, most classes are disorganize, and it's expensive. Detroit is not that bad, but it's not the greatest place to live.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,
California resident with family members in Texas. I am applying to all three dental schools there..... Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. I know Texas accepts 90% students from Texas. Any one on here from California that got accepted???? and any advice from anyone that might help my chances?

I am applying to so many schools that I can't keep count:) and willing to go anywhere But California and Texas are my choices:) due to family.

Please help and reply???

Thanks a whole bunch in Advance:)

Hi Guys,
California resident with family members in Texas. I am applying to all three dental schools there..... Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. I know Texas accepts 90% students from Texas. Any one on here from California that got accepted???? and any advice from anyone that might help my chances?

I am applying to so many schools that I can't keep count:) and willing to go anywhere But California and Texas are my choices:) due to family.

Please help and reply???

Thanks a whole bunch in Advance:)

Not sure what people can really help with. I would suggest saving your money and not applying to texas schools though unless you have stellar stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
and likely won't ever get one either. Someone donated $30 million to get it started, but the state doesn't want to fork over the $2 million a year to keep it running. Since Utah really doesn't have issues attracting dentists (there are already too many), and USN is putting up shop 30 miles away, the state doesn't have much incentive to create a dental school at the University of Utah.

Stinks to be a Utah resident.

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum's for a long long time, but now decided finally to make the dive and post a message. I would really need advice on how to keep going to pursue my goal of getting into dentistry. I'll explain as much info about me below, so please reply with as much detail about your opinion on what I should do. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. It will be my third year applying and I am not sure if I could go any further. Anyways, here is my information.

University = in Canada
Ethnic Background: White / Non-hispanic
Degrees = Major in Business & almost finished second major in Biology
Undergraduate GPA = 3.3 (Was 3.29 when I applied last year)
Science GPA = 3.32 (Was 3.16 when I applied last year)
Last 4 semesters (2 years) GPA = 3.51 with almost all science classes
DAT Score = 21 AA = 20 (Didn't change since last year as I didn't re-write)

Shadowing Hours = 65 total hours shadowing at 3 different dental practices (roughly 20 / 20/ 25 hours)
Work Experience = Nothing relevant to dentistry
Volunteer / Other = Sport teams, environmental/sustainability groups, student clubs etc..

Again, any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! I have been applying to 9-10 schools each year and have yet to get an interview. If you guys need anymore info please lemme know! The questions I would kinda like answers to are:

1) Do I have a shot with my current application?
2) Which part is hindering me the most? My DAT score or GPA? Aka if I tried the DAT again and got a 22 would that be enough?
3) Should I do a 1 year masters in the states? I have been doing undergrad courses for quite a while and now my courses don't move the needle anymore so its extremely difficult to raise my GPA...
4) How much shadowing experience should I have to be competitive?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who helps me out!

gpa >3.8
dat aa 25

100 hours shadowing
free dental clinic volunteering
research

the problem is that non dental community service was only for one semester right before graduation. how important is community service for schools like penn and columbia?

gpa >3.8
dat aa 25

100 hours shadowing
free dental clinic volunteering
research

the problem is that non dental community service was only for one semester right before graduation. how important is community service for schools like penn and columbia?

You're fine. As long as you don't have the personality of a brick wall you will get in.

This information is a couple years old and some of the numbers may be outdated. If anyone has new links or new information from the ADEA book, post it and I'll update the sticky. In the meantime predents, just assume that you need to get a higher GPA/DAT than the 2009 numbers indicate, since the scores seem to rise every year.

Ooohh...here's the thread.... (embarrassed)

Hi everyone,
gpa: 3.6
sgpa: 3.42
AA: 21
TS: 21
PAT: 16
Research, some shadowing, some volunteer work. Asian. Maryland resident.

Here's my list. I want to throw a couple out...but which ones? Add any others in?

Maryland
Boston University
Columbia University
New York University
Case Western Reserve
University of Pittsburgh
University of Pennsylvania
Temple University
Virginia Commonwealth
University of Southern California
University of Michigan
University of Detroit Mercy
Midwestern Arizona

Help me throw a couple out?

Last edited:
In high school, I took an AP Economy class that transferred units to University of San Jose. From there, I requested a transcript to be sent to UCD. Even though I did not ATTEND USJ, should I still request a transcript be sent out for dental school?
Also, because the schools in the US have a "first come first serve" basis, I would like to submit my application as soon as possible. However, I am taking the DAT on September 9 which is very close to the application deadline of October 15th. Is it possible for me to send out my application first, and then my DAT score later? Or, do I have to send out my application only when I receive my DAT scores?

This response applies to everyone posting on this forum -- hope it helps. I was on the admissions committee during my final year of dental school so perhaps I can share some wisdom...

While I think it's smart to establish a list of schools you'll be applying to based on stats, looking at numbers alone ignores a huge part of the application process. DentalMTL99, I'll use you as an example. Your stats are fine. They're not top notch, but I would put plenty of money on that fact that people with those numbers are getting all sorts of interviews. It's easy to focus on GPA, DAT, number of shadowing hours, etc. but you need to take a broader look at your application. A few things to consider:

- Who is writing your letters of recommendation? And how strong are those letters? People frequently pay too little attention to the letters, but in reality, they can make or break an otherwise OK application.

- How strong is your personal statement? Someone with perfect numbers might skid by with a mediocre essay, but if you're concerned that you fall into the average range, make sure your personal statement jumps out at readers. It's your chance to tell an adcom why you're worthy of acceptance over the 1000s of other applicants.

- How are you putting your whole story together? Are you crafting a nice resume and cover letter that will help you stand out? Remember, an admissions officer WILL look at your application regardless of your stats (with the exception of a few schools), so every piece of paper you send them should work to your advantage. You need to tell a story (a true story) about yourself that will make adcoms want to meet you.

I assure you it's not simply a 3.3 GPA that's holding you back from interviews. Work on refining your overall application and the story you tell, and you'll have a shot.

Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum's for a long long time, but now decided finally to make the dive and post a message. I would really need advice on how to keep going to pursue my goal of getting into dentistry. I'll explain as much info about me below, so please reply with as much detail about your opinion on what I should do. Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. It will be my third year applying and I am not sure if I could go any further. Anyways, here is my information.

University = in Canada
Ethnic Background: White / Non-hispanic
Degrees = Major in Business & almost finished second major in Biology
Undergraduate GPA = 3.3 (Was 3.29 when I applied last year)
Science GPA = 3.32 (Was 3.16 when I applied last year)
Last 4 semesters (2 years) GPA = 3.51 with almost all science classes
DAT Score = 21 AA = 20 (Didn't change since last year as I didn't re-write)

Shadowing Hours = 65 total hours shadowing at 3 different dental practices (roughly 20 / 20/ 25 hours)
Work Experience = Nothing relevant to dentistry
Volunteer / Other = Sport teams, environmental/sustainability groups, student clubs etc..

Again, any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! I have been applying to 9-10 schools each year and have yet to get an interview. If you guys need anymore info please lemme know! The questions I would kinda like answers to are:

1) Do I have a shot with my current application?
2) Which part is hindering me the most? My DAT score or GPA? Aka if I tried the DAT again and got a 22 would that be enough?
3) Should I do a 1 year masters in the states? I have been doing undergrad courses for quite a while and now my courses don't move the needle anymore so its extremely difficult to raise my GPA...
4) How much shadowing experience should I have to be competitive?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who helps me out!

One more piece of advice to those reading this forum:

Don't apply to schools based solely on statistics. Don't forget that all the stats you read are means. If the average GPA at a school is 3.7, there are many people attending that school who have 4.0s, and an equal number with 3.4s. I think it's much wiser to apply to schools based upon the type of applicant they're looking for. Does a school value community service and invite students to complete dual degrees and other extra-curricular activities? If so, perhaps your 3.3 GPA with an exciting resume will take you far at that school, regardless of their high average GPA and DAT scores. Some of the top dental schools truly appreciate applicants with varied backgrounds, so marking those schools off your list simply because your GPA is below their average may cheat you out of a great dental school experience and will also deny that school the chance to offer you an interview. Don't be totally unrealistic when applying, but focusing too much on numbers is to your disadvantage. There's so much more to an application than your DAT and GPA.

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion....I have a total of 4 W's on my transcript with an overall GPA of 3.26

The first W was my freshman year in precalc because I realized my community college had already given me credit for pre-calc, and that I could have gone straight into Calc 1 at my university; therefore, I withdrew from pre-calc. I didn't realize at the time that a W would be crucial to my transcript.

My second W was in Ochem the first semester of my soph year. Due to a serious injury, I missed an exam, and couldn't catch up. (This was the W I took to avoid a failing grade).

The third and fourth W's were the Summer after my soph year. Because my family was going through financial difficulties, I had to pay for summer school out of my own pocket. I took physics, physics lab, and cell bio. I had to withdraw from physics and lab because the work overload with a bio class plus work (which I had to do, and couldn't quit) in the Summer was too much to handle. My university required that I drop lab also, but they only counted it as 1 W. However, on my transcript a W will appear for both lecture and lab.

This brings me to a grand total of 4 W's.

If I kill my DAT which I plan on taking in February, and do really well in the next two semesters before I apply, do I still have a chance at Dental School? I can potentially apply with a 3.42 GPA. Also, my extra-curriculars/work experience/volunteer work are great.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I know that TX schools only accept very few out-of-state applicants, so I'd like to know my chances before throwing in my money and time. If you know UT Houston thru your own experience or thru close acquaintances, please help by giving recommendations:

I'm a US citizen but Asian; Was in TX for 3.5 yrs thru Grad school at Baylor U (waco) and then employment; after that moved to Oklahoma b/c of marriage. I really enjoyed my time in TX and had many close friends there so I'd like to go back (but I don't know if a definite tie to TX is necessary, which I don't really have.)

DAT: 26TS/26AA.

I'm not transferring my undergrad credits b/c I can't get things work (WES evaluation) with my undergrad college which is overseas.
I have 36 hours of Graduate school credits: GPA 3.8.
Took undergrad pre-reqs since 2009 and GPA 4.0 for 40+ credit hours.
Will take more credit hours pre-reqs before getting into dental school.

Now: I'd like to apply to Houston - Do I have much chance, or should I simply apply to other OOS-friendly schools?
Thanks so very much!!

-Alicia

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion....I have a total of 4 W's on my transcript with an overall GPA of 3.26

The first W was my freshman year in precalc because I realized my community college had already given me credit for pre-calc, and that I could have gone straight into Calc 1 at my university; therefore, I withdrew from pre-calc. I didn't realize at the time that a W would be crucial to my transcript.

My second W was in Ochem the first semester of my soph year. Due to a serious injury, I missed an exam, and couldn't catch up. (This was the W I took to avoid a failing grade).

The third and fourth W's were the Summer after my soph year. Because my family was going through financial difficulties, I had to pay for summer school out of my own pocket. I took physics, physics lab, and cell bio. I had to withdraw from physics and lab because the work overload with a bio class plus work (which I had to do, and couldn't quit) in the Summer was too much to handle. My university required that I drop lab also, but they only counted it as 1 W. However, on my transcript a W will appear for both lecture and lab.

This brings me to a grand total of 4 W's.

If I kill my DAT which I plan on taking in February, and do really well in the next two semesters before I apply, do I still have a chance at Dental School? I can potentially apply with a 3.42 GPA. Also, my extra-curriculars/work experience/volunteer work are great.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You absolutely have a chance! :) I have 6 Ws on my transcript and around 5 C's in biology courses. I still thank God for the early interview I received a couple weeks ago.

What you need to do is to do well in the rest of your semesters and try your best, especially in the upper-science courses. Study for your DAT and do well enough. And then I think you're set. Since you said your ECs and volunteer work is great, that's a big plus and a must in my opinion. If you did not shadow a dentist yet, it's in your best interest to do this and eventually get a recommendation letter from him/her. When the time comes and you are about to apply, make sure you get different opinions on your personal statement before submitting it. And when you are ready to request letters of recommendation, make sure you know it will be a good one and from someone who knows you well enough. Good luck! And focus on your school work for the time being :)

Hello everyone,
I know that TX schools only accept very few out-of-state applicants, so I'd like to know my chances before throwing in my money and time. If you know UT Houston thru your own experience or thru close acquaintances, please help by giving recommendations:

I'm a US citizen but Asian; Was in TX for 3.5 yrs thru Grad school at Baylor U (waco) and then employment; after that moved to Oklahoma b/c of marriage. I really enjoyed my time in TX and had many close friends there so I'd like to go back (but I don't know if a definite tie to TX is necessary, which I don't really have.)

DAT: 26TS/26AA.

I'm not transferring my undergrad credits b/c I can't get things work (WES evaluation) with my undergrad college which is overseas.
I have 36 hours of Graduate school credits: GPA 3.8.
Took undergrad pre-reqs since 2009 and GPA 4.0 for 40+ credit hours.
Will take more credit hours pre-reqs before getting into dental school.

Now: I'd like to apply to Houston - Do I have much chance, or should I simply apply to other OOS-friendly schools?
Thanks so very much!!

-Alicia

I'm basing only what I'm about to say on statistics, and based on these statistics, Houston interviewed 0 out of 411 out-of-state applicants. The statistics, however, were for the entering class of 2009. I'm assuming the trend is still very similar today. I also looked on Predent and if I remember correctly, even the out-of-state applicants with exceptional scores was not admitted. In my opinion, because you are not a TX resident, you should probably not apply to UT-Houston. If you don't mind other parts of TX, Baylor in Dallas, for instance, accepts a few out-of-state applicants every cycle. Good luck! :)

... In my opinion, because you are not a TX resident, you should probably not apply to UT-Houston. ... Good luck! :)

Thanks NguyenDDS for your suggestion.
I guess I should save the money and hassle with Houston...:(

-Alicia

Thanks so much! I feel so much better. I just wasn't sure if it was even worth trying, since my W's occurred almost every other semester. Thanks for your advice, and congrats on your interview!

Trying this in a separate thread...thanks.

Last edited:
One more piece of advice to those reading this forum:

Don't apply to schools based solely on statistics. Don't forget that all the stats you read are means. If the average GPA at a school is 3.7, there are many people attending that school who have 4.0s, and an equal number with 3.4s. I think it's much wiser to apply to schools based upon the type of applicant they're looking for. Does a school value community service and invite students to complete dual degrees and other extra-curricular activities? If so, perhaps your 3.3 GPA with an exciting resume will take you far at that school, regardless of their high average GPA and DAT scores. Some of the top dental schools truly appreciate applicants with varied backgrounds, so marking those schools off your list simply because your GPA is below their average may cheat you out of a great dental school experience and will also deny that school the chance to offer you an interview. Don't be totally unrealistic when applying, but focusing too much on numbers is to your disadvantage. There's so much more to an application than your DAT and GPA.

This is inspiring! Thanks! :thumbup:

Hey guys, so here it goes. I'm going to be 23 years old this november. I went through very tough things in life ever since i was 10. My mother, 2 sisters and I now live in Arkansas after moving from California 12 years ago. We have no father and i have been working since i turned 16. My sister and I have full time jobs and it makes it difficult to dedicate time to school. I was attending CC and did not really have an idea of what i wanted to do. I asked a counselor that i was maybe planning in being a Dentist. He told me to take a AS degree and i listened without looking further "until i was ready to decide what i really wanted to do" bad idea... these last two years ive had some good memories, and some really bad ones.. but i finally gathered courage to face reality and to accept what life has brought forth.

Life changed a little for the best and i am ready to take on School. My problem is that during my freshmen year of CC i took only part time classes, about 11 hours. Not only that, i also went through depression big time and withdrew from 3 classes and got an F on a elective.. i look back and regret not fixing that. So right now i have a total of attempted hours of 38 and 35 hours with a grade.. I have a 2.36 right now.. After all this i have decided to turn things around and start taking on my classes..i finally decided that i want to become a Dentist for many reasons. So im here asking for your thoughts on my situation and any advice. I've only taken 1 science course and it was a CC and got an A. I have not taken any other sciences yet thank God. Please anyone, what would you recommend i do to show that i have changed? I have changed and im definitely going to reflect that on my upcoming grades.. but any suggestions on what can help me improve my chances of getting interviewed when the time comes to apply? Any Feed back will easy my mind and chest.. Thank you in Advance! :) Sorry for my long post too :oops:

Hey guys, so here it goes. I'm going to be 23 years old this november. I went through very tough things in life ever since i was 10. My mother, 2 sisters and I now live in Arkansas after moving from California 12 years ago. We have no father and i have been working since i turned 16. My sister and I have full time jobs and it makes it difficult to dedicate time to school. I was attending CC and did not really have an idea of what i wanted to do. I asked a counselor that i was maybe planning in being a Dentist. He told me to take a AS degree and i listened without looking further "until i was ready to decide what i really wanted to do" bad idea... these last two years ive had some good memories, and some really bad ones.. but i finally gathered courage to face reality and to accept what life has brought forth.

Life changed a little for the best and i am ready to take on School. My problem is that during my freshmen year of CC i took only part time classes, about 11 hours. Not only that, i also went through depression big time and withdrew from 3 classes and got an F on a elective.. i look back and regret not fixing that. So right now i have a total of attempted hours of 38 and 35 hours with a grade.. I have a 2.36 right now.. After all this i have decided to turn things around and start taking on my classes..i finally decided that i want to become a Dentist for many reasons. So im here asking for your thoughts on my situation and any advice. I've only taken 1 science course and it was a CC and got an A. I have not taken any other sciences yet thank God. Please anyone, what would you recommend i do to show that i have changed? I have changed and im definitely going to reflect that on my upcoming grades.. but any suggestions on what can help me improve my chances of getting interviewed when the time comes to apply? Any Feed back will easy my mind and chest.. Thank you in Advance! :) Sorry for my long post too :oops:

Best thing I can suggest is IMPROVE your Grades as you already know. You have to pull your GPA to at least 3.3~3.4 ish. Try to shadow dentists in your spare time and take more science courses that will prepare you for the dental school.

Good luck

Hi guys,

Here's my info:

Registered dental hygienist
1.5 years work experience in private practice
2nd time applicant (first time without masters)

Stats:
DAT: AA19, TS19, PAT20, nothing below 18
Undergrad GPA: 3.10------->BS in Psychology
RDH GPA: 3.3-------------->Registered Dental Hygienist degree
Grad GPA: 3.75------------>MS Physio science non-thesis

Research: 3 years, abstract publication+presentation at a conference

Letters: 1 dentist, 1 state representative, 1 biochem professor, 1 bio professor from masters

Extras: Fluent in 3 languages and conversational in Spanish, 1000+ hours in shadowing and assisting, 3 years neuro research, 1.5yrs working as a hygienist. Tutored high school students in algebra, chem and Spanish.

Current list of schools I'd like to apply to:
Midwestern
Arizona
USC
Western
U. Louisville
Creighton
Marquette
Pitt
Boston U
Tufts
NYU
U Maryland

What are my chances? The only thing I can't do much about is my undergrad GPA but I've tried my best to get my other stuff up to par by getting a masters in physio science. Grateful for any recommendations and advice! Thank you kindly :)

Makes me worried about my stats :(

Since I dont have much luck finding a thread about international predental applicants, hopefully, someone kind enough here would throw me some clues.

I am an international dental school applicant from Hong Kong. The following are some of my spec.:
I got my bachelor's degree in Hong Kong (BSc. Hons, Science in Chemistry; The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2006-09, GPA 2.89(ECE evaluated...), credit 101);
studied one year in a dental school in the Philippines (D.M.D., Centro Escolar University,2009-10, GPA3.48(again, ECE evaluated...), credit 34.5);
currently studying in a CC in New York (A.S., Physical Sciences; Fulton-Montgomery Community College, 2011, cGPA/sciGPA: 3.87/4.00, credit 23.00 up to spring2011);
TOEFL iBT (110 : 30/30/26/24)
DAT (AA/TS/OC/GC/BI/RC/QR/PAT: 21/22/21/22/22/20/20/25)

My GPA in my BSc is bad(2.99) and get even worse after evaluated by ECE. It is mainly because of my devotion to the university rowing team( one year as a member, one year as a trainer) and the difference in academic performance evaluation system (prof do not give A/A- easily, maybe 1~3 in a class of 60, so, students in HK almost never have a 4.00GPA, but one around 3.00 w/ +/-0.30). In the year in the philippines, I worked my tail off and got pretty decent grades in a 4years graduate dental program. I learnt a great deal about dentistry through lec, lab and volunteering in the school clinic, which could hopefully make up for my lack of shadowing experience in HK(totally around 40 hours in an ortho-, a prostho and two general dental clinics). Since I missed some of the DS prerequisites, I enrolled in a CC here this year and took gen chem 1, english 1& 2, phy 1, statistics, calculus1 and gen. psychology. I got all As except Eng 1 in winter.
I just submitted my AADSAS application on the 19thJul and its was mailed to the DS on the 29thJul, which is pretty fast considering the rather relaxed manner of AADSAS in handling applications usually. I applied 20 schools and is now working on my secondaries and will start my shadowing in a dental clinic next week.
My questions are:
1) What is my chance?( I know its been asked a million times, and most of the student here are citizen, I would still love to hear what you guys think about my chance as an international student)
2) My international applicant status, BCs GPA and the fact that I am studying in a CC right now should be my weakest links, but how much do you guys think they would affect my chance?
3) What can I do to improve my chance?
4) What do you think the adcom would think about my dentistry study in the philippines? it was a graduate program and would yield a DMD after 4 years of study. I took Oral Anatomy, Gen Anat I(whole body), Gen. Anat II(head and neck), Microscopic anat and embryology, Gen. Physio, Oral Mic. Anat and Embryology, Dental Materials, Biochem., Nutrition, dental history, dental informatics and some social sci. courses. They are higher level bio/dental courses, can they attest to my ability to handle well in a DS?
5) I know there is a group for international DMD/DDS, but is there a group/ post/ useful webpage for international pre-dental applicant?

I am new to this country and its education system, so, any advice would be highly appreciated! Your help could make my app journey much easier! Thank you!

PS: anyone from HK? lol, I guess its very unlikely.

Wondering what some may think of my current plans to increase my chances of dental school as I've been following the forums for some time and have found some useful, realistic advice.

oGPA-2.65
sGPA-2.5
EC-tutoring, public readings, reserve, and school committees
shadowing-doing so currently and will continue

Senior-staying for extra semester or year so 1.5-2 years left
If straights As for remainder (taking more science than anything)
oGPA-3.15-3.25
sGPA-3.29-3.4

Problem grades
Phys II-F
Genetics-C
Ochem I-C+
2 Cs and 2 Ds in nonscience classes

I've had a roller-coaster like few years in undergrad-getting 3.5 some terms then as low as 1.7 other terms. Since then, I've done some soul searching and realized that I was lost because I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do with myself. (And its disappointing when you see sooo many others that know exactly what they want to do) It's been a discovery of myself at, probably, the worst time possible, but since realizing what I really want to do, I've been looking into it day and night this past summer.

Current plans-
I calculated what my GPA would be if I continued for the next couple years obtaining all As, but I am realistic and know I would need more to prove that I've changed. Taking that into account, I plan to apply to a SMP or postbac or take more science classes at a state school to increase my chances for the 2013-2014 year. I also plan to take the DAT spring 2013 and use the scores to apply to dental schools the summer of 2013, keeping in mind that the GAP year will be for extra classes.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

hey guys what are my chances..

AA:20 TS:19 PAT:19

GPA overall is around a 3.3 and Science GPA is 3.26

Did a year of Microbiology research, EMT, joined various pre-dental organizations at my school, inducted into a honor society, shadowed GD and ortho, worked at a dental office, have 6 letters of rec and a committee letter.

Applied to NYU, UMDNJ, UNLV, VCU, Tufts, BU, Western, Pacific, ASDOH, MWU( az and Il), Pitt,UMD

So as it gets closer to schools giving interviews/acceptances/rejections I am getting worried. I feel like my stats are pretty good and I have a good shot in getting into a dental school, but I'm not sure with the current list of schools I have if I will get into them. So check this out and any advice would be great!

Resident: California
DAT: AA:21/TS:22/PA:21
sGPA~ 3.8 oGPA ~ 3.78
lots of EC and worked as a dental assistant, might be lacking in community service.

I applied to 8 pretty competitive dental schools with 6/8 having stats ~3.7+ DAT 21+
UCLA
UOP
UCSF
USC
UPENN
HARVARD
COLORADO
NOVA

I tried to be realistic because I'm low on money and don't have the luxury to apply to a lot of schools. Is 8 enough? Should I put more lower tier schools? If so, which ones? I just don't want to be one of those horror stories that don't get in anywhere because I was too "cocky" with applying to schools.

Thanks!

I need very important advice from you guys. Here are my stats --

cGPA - 3.7, science GPA - 3.69. Graduated this year.
DAT (Unofficial) - AA - 23. PAT - 15:scared:, BIO 22, CHE 23, ORGO 29. RC 24, QR 23.

Currently shadowing a dentist.

How accurate is the unofficial score report?
What are my chances considering its very late in the cycle?
What schools should I look into?

I need very important advice from you guys. Here are my stats --

cGPA - 3.7, science GPA - 3.69. Graduated this year.
DAT (Unofficial) - AA - 23. PAT - 15:scared:, BIO 22, CHE 23, ORGO 29. RC 24, QR 23.

Currently shadowing a dentist.

How accurate is the unofficial score report?
What are my chances considering its very late in the cycle?
What schools should I look into?

When you say DAT (unofficial) score report, do you mean practice DATs? Or do you mean you actually took it and got the score, but it hasn't officially been sent to schools directly from the ADEA (that's the actual meaning of a Unofficial DAT score reports). If that's your current score, I think you'd be fine, but some schools do have a minimum cut off for each section, and that 15 would be an automatic no. I don't know if a retake is worth risking the other sections that you did very well on. But, to be honest, if you can do that well on those other sections, i'm sure you can at least pull off a 20 on all of them.

If you meant those scores were your practice scores, then no, they're not representative of your actual DAT. Some programs tend to be harder (topscore) than others (kaplan DAT), so it's hard to guage what's the most accurate. Like, Kaplan DAT is wayyyyyyyyyyy too easy, but Kaplan sciences are really good.

chances are not as good bc it's so late in the cycle.

When you say DAT (unofficial) score report, do you mean practice DATs? Or do you mean you actually took it and got the score, but it hasn't officially been sent to schools directly from the ADEA (that's the actual meaning of a Unofficial DAT score reports). If that's your current score, I think you'd be fine, but some schools do have a minimum cut off for each section, and that 15 would be an automatic no. I don't know if a retake is worth risking the other sections that you did very well on. But, to be honest, if you can do that well on those other sections, i'm sure you can at least pull off a 20 on all of them.

If you meant those scores were your practice scores, then no, they're not representative of your actual DAT. Some programs tend to be harder (topscore) than others (kaplan DAT), so it's hard to guage what's the most accurate. Like, Kaplan DAT is wayyyyyyyyyyy too easy, but Kaplan sciences are really good.

chances are not as good bc it's so late in the cycle.

no they are my real DAT scores. I just want to know if its too late to apply?

no they are my real DAT scores. I just want to know if its too late to apply?

If you didn't have the 15 in the PAT section, I would say it's not too late to apply. But, as amalgamgrillz said, 15 is below the cutoff for many schools. You should check the schools you want to apply to and see if they would accept a 15 PAT score or not.

Okay guys, I have an announcement.

I just graduated with a B.S. in Biology from Louisiana Tech University. Dentistry is my passion, and I'm running with it--always has been, always will be. I was crushed my by academic advisor a year ago; he said with my grades, that I would NEVER get in dental school. I let him control what I would do; that day, I decided to pursue nursing after my Biology degree. I tried nursing school for the month of August 2011; I am not cut out for nursing. All I could do is think about dentistry anyways. This sounds all nice and dandy, but unfortunately, I have a very poor cumulative GPA of 2.5 and can honestly not tell you my science GPA, as I just don't know it. LSU is the only dental school in the state and is overly competitive; 4.0 GPA/20 DAT students applying 3-4 times before getting in. My plan now is to pursue an M.S. in Biology with a concentration in either Microbiology or Physiology at ULM; I've been accepted fortunately! I am currently applying for a teaching assistantship, so that will definitely put some perks on my portfolio. I hope to get in some research experience while pursuing my master's. I am hoping to excel in my master's program to boost my science GPA. I have not taken the DAT, but I know I need to shoot for 20+. Here's the list I've narrowed down based on percentages of OOS acceptances, DAT and GPA ranges:

Virginia Commonwealth
Case Western
NOVA
Midwestern--AZ
Mercy
ASDOH
University of Tennessee (closest to home that I may have a shot getting in!)
LSU (just because..)

I also tried to choose schools closest to LA that were OOS-friendly; I really have no desire to live in Philadelphia, Boston, or NYC.

Does anybody think I'm ridiculously nuts?? I'm just going after what I truly want; I'm going to retake Physics, the second half of general chem, and I'm going to complete my OChem's +labs--my degree plan at Tech didn't require you to take OChem to graduate. Granted, this is about a couple of years away--but I truly believe I can do this.

Hi everyone,

I really need some advice on where to apply...

Stats:
BS in Chemical Engineering at Georgia Tech (May 2012)
Asian, Georgia resident
DAT: AA20, TS18, PAT24
15 in Biology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: 3.49

Shadowing: 40 hours volunteering at a dental clinic, 16 hours shadowing at a private practice

Letters: 1 dentist, 2 chemical engineering professors, 1 from employer

Extras: Worked as a tutor for high school students in all subjects and college students in core subjects. Did an internship unrelated to dentistry. Did a study abroad program at Imperial College London. Member of several student organizations and officer in one.

Other Negatives: Have a W on my transcript from synthesis lab (A on retake). My transcript is heavy on engineering courses (C in Survey of Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry; only the minimum of two Biology courses). Applying late.

Current list of schools I think I can apply to:
UCLA
Western U
Detroit Mercy
Minnesota
Nebraska
UNC
Temple
???

What schools have a cutoff for Biology?

Will my professors count as science professors? AADSAS includes engineering in "other science." I know some schools specifically say natural sciences.

I don't meet the prerequisites of many schools (Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology, Sociology, Cell Biology, Histology). What other schools can/should I apply to?

I really wish I had some less competitive schools I could apply for, but because I'm applying so late I've already missed their deadlines. :(

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I really need some advice on where to apply...

Stats:
BS in Chemical Engineering at Georgia Tech (May 2012)
Asian, Georgia resident
DAT: AA20, TS18, PAT24
15 in Biology
Overall GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: 3.49

Shadowing: 40 hours volunteering at a dental clinic, 16 hours shadowing at a private practice

Letters: 1 dentist, 2 chemical engineering professors, 1 from employer

Extras: Worked as a tutor for high school students in all subjects and college students in core subjects. Did an internship unrelated to dentistry. Did a study abroad program at Imperial College London. Member of several student organizations and officer in one.

Other Negatives: Have a W on my transcript from synthesis lab (A on retake). My transcript is heavy on engineering courses (C in Survey of Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry; only the minimum of two Biology courses). Applying late.

Current list of schools I think I can apply to:
UCLA
Western U
Detroit Mercy
Minnesota
Nebraska
UNC
Temple
???

What schools have a cutoff for Biology?

Will my professors count as science professors? AADSAS includes engineering in "other science." I know some schools specifically say natural sciences.

I don't meet the prerequisites of many schools (Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology, Sociology, Cell Biology, Histology). What other schools can/should I apply to?

I really wish I had some less competitive schools I could apply for, but because I'm applying so late I've already missed their deadlines. :(

Yeah 15 Bio will probably warrant a retake. If your school has a dental committee than your letters should be okay. However, if you are sending in the letters solo than you'll likely need natural science letters. You may want to call whatever schools you are interested and see if your ChemE letters are okay since you're a non-trad applicant. Course pre-reqs can be found on various school websites so with a little research, you can find which schools you can apply to given what you have already taken.

Yeah 15 Bio will probably warrant a retake. If your school has a dental committee than your letters should be okay. However, if you are sending in the letters solo than you'll likely need natural science letters. You may want to call whatever schools you are interested and see if your ChemE letters are okay since you're a non-trad applicant. Course pre-reqs can be found on various school websites so with a little research, you can find which schools you can apply to given what you have already taken.

My school doesn't have a dental committee, just a Pre-Health advisor whose policy is to not write recommendation letters. I'll definitely call and find out though.

I've updated my list to include all schools for which I can meet requirements and deadlines. I guess the question now is, do you think it's a waste of time/money for me to apply to any of them with my stats?

UCLA is likely the only one that would probably be a waste of money. The UC's are tough even for in state applicants and love high DATs. I'll keep my eyes posted for schools with no Bio cut offs as I browse around.

It's pretty late this cycle, but if you have the cash laying around minus well try

I'm graduating this Spring (2012) as a Cell and Molecular biology major, I'll probably have about a 3.9 GPA, 3.8 sGPA.

I am graduating in 3 years so I will take the DAT this spring, submit in the summer for attendence in Fall 2013, so I have a gap year.

I have worked part-time during school and taken about 19 units every semester to graduate early (save $$). I am also married.

Problem is I don't have any volunteering to speak of. I have shadowed dentists, probably about 30 hours worth, also shadowed a Pain specialist MD for about 40 hours when I was heading MD route.

I'm really trying to weed out some time to volunteer but with my school/work/being married I just can't seem find it.

Edit: I'm a peer tutor at my college and I do research with a professor (1.5 years at graduation) if that counts for anything.

Any experiences of acceptance with high GPA/DAT but very little EC/volunteer? :scared:

This is a X-post from a thread I started. I wasn't sure if I should post it here or not. I need some help on where/when to apply.

First off I want to thank you guys in advance for your help. Even though I'm new to the SDN community I am very impressed with the quality of the answers and the maturity of everyone here. Though, I guess that's to be expected from America's future health professionals.

The goal of this thread is to determine whether or not I should apply in June of 2012 or 2013. I apologize if its long, but I want to paint a clear picture for you guys.

I graduated from the Schreyers Honors College at Penn State in December 2010 with a degree in Bioengineering (concentration in chemical engineering). My overall GPA was 3.86. I graduated with "High Distinction" (top 6% of the college of engineering) and produced an original undergraduate thesis on the molecular biomechanics of kinesin motors. I am also a member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honors society.

I was on the boxing team for 2 years training about 15 hrs/week and I was president of my 90 man fraternity in addition to other leadership positions.

I wanted to take some time off before grad school and work (probably apply in June of 2013), but I haven't been able to get my foot in the door and find a full time job. I've been employed as a part-time private tutor for a while now. The time has come where I have to decide to stick to the plan or try to move the timeline up. For the most part I didn't consider dental school (I always thought of myself as a pre-med), but from all the research I've done dental school seems like the right choice for me.

I calculate my sGPA to be 3.88 from the classes below. The classes are as follows.

Calc 2 - A-
Calc 3 - A
Diff Eq - A

Phys Mech - A-
Phys E&M - A

Cell bio - A
Physiology - A-
Physiology lab - A

Ochem 1 - A
Ochem 2 - A
Ochem Lab - A-

I have two WP's (withdrew passing). One is for E&M honors level spring of freshman year. I was probably going to get a B- and my perfectionism wouldn't allow it at the time (I got a 4.0 that semester). I took that and DiffEQ at the local branch campus over the summer after freshman year. The second WP was for Ochem Lab spring of my senior year. My workload was way too high and I had some personal issues (sick in-house family member) and I didn't want my GPA to suffer. I went back in the following Fall as a part time student and took that course solo. I missed an A by a hundredth of a point due to the previously mentioned family member dying and me spending a lot of time traveling back home. My head just wasn't in the game.

I got AP credit for Calc 1 and for the 8 credits of inorganic chem. I also have a molecular and cellular bioengineering course which I think would likely count as biochemistry (A in that class). I'm not sure if my other engineering classes would affect my GPA, but they were mostly As and A-s with a B+ or two thrown in there.

After some research I've come to see that the AP credits for the inorganic chem would disqualify me from applying at quite a few schools (including Temple and Pitt, which is bad considering I'm a PA resident).

I see myself as having two possible plans, both of which are very open to suggestions/modifications.

1. To apply by June 2012. Take the two inorganic chem classes and lab in the spring and first summer session of this year at the local PSU branch campus, maybe with a microbiology or biochemistry class to boot. While doing this I'll shadow a dentist and study for the DATs and try to get some more volunteer work done (I have 85 hours at the local hospital from college). I will almost definitely get A's in the chem classes and I suspect I'll do well on the DATs.

2. To apply by June 2013. Move back to PSU main campus and take the chem/bio classes in the spring and summer. I'd also plan on enrolling in an EMT course and get my certification. I could also reconnect with some professors and do some more research or TA or whatever. I would have to work at least part time (waiting tables, delivery driver, etc...) in order to help pay for rent/food/living. I could probably get some shadowing/volunteering done, but I wouldn't be able to study for the DATs. I could then move back home in August, work as an EMT, volunteer, shadow and study for the DATs until the next application process.

Plan 1 allows me to move my timeline up and get my life started, but I am concerned about getting the prereqs done before even submitting the application. My prof letters and older prereqs will be more recent. I wouldn't have as much volunteering or shadowing time as plan 2, but it would be sufficient. My DAT score would probably be about the same, but maybe a little lower. I could start studying tomorrow if this is the plan.

Plan 2 gives me more time to do everything and take my classes at main campus, but I worry about my letters being a little out of date or my prereqs getting old (which seems to be an issue at a couple of schools). I could also do more research and take some more upper level classes.

Are my concerns for plan 2 valid? Do I have to worry about my college professors letters being considered "out of date" or my freshman and sophomore prereqs expiring? Is it worth it to try to perfect everything or should I just get the ball rolling and apply in June of 2012? Would being a few weeks late in the application process be a big deal if it comes to that?

I'm really struggling with this decision and I need to make my mind up soon before it is made up for me. I'd like to get into a good dental school and eventually specialize so I can use the engineering side of my brain (maybe ortho?). Can you guys offer any advice? Am I over thinking this way too much? I really really appreciate it.

Wondering what some may think of my current plans to increase my chances of dental school as I've been following the forums for some time and have found some useful, realistic advice.

oGPA-2.65
sGPA-2.5
EC-tutoring, public readings, reserve, and school committees
shadowing-doing so currently and will continue

Senior-staying for extra semester or year so 1.5-2 years left
If straights As for remainder (taking more science than anything)
oGPA-3.15-3.25
sGPA-3.29-3.4

Problem grades
Phys II-F
Genetics-C
Ochem I-C+
2 Cs and 2 Ds in nonscience classes

I've had a roller-coaster like few years in undergrad-getting 3.5 some terms then as low as 1.7 other terms. Since then, I've done some soul searching and realized that I was lost because I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do with myself. (And its disappointing when you see sooo many others that know exactly what they want to do) It's been a discovery of myself at, probably, the worst time possible, but since realizing what I really want to do, I've been looking into it day and night this past summer.

Current plans-
I calculated what my GPA would be if I continued for the next couple years obtaining all As, but I am realistic and know I would need more to prove that I've changed. Taking that into account, I plan to apply to a SMP or postbac or take more science classes at a state school to increase my chances for the 2013-2014 year. I also plan to take the DAT spring 2013 and use the scores to apply to dental schools the summer of 2013, keeping in mind that the GAP year will be for extra classes.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

If you continuously increase your GPA without any set backs, your chances will improve. But you need to get high DAT scores. Aim for scores around 21 in DAT and do alot of volunteerings and shadowings so you could receive good recommendation letters. Good Luck

My Stats:

Overall GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.72
DAT AA: 20
DAT TS: 20
DAT PA: 21
George Mason University: Integrative Studies Major, Chemistry Minor
Occupation as Dental Assistant, Physics Tutor, and Chemistry Tutor
Volunteer at Youth Shelter Home and Hospital

I am interested in applying to Virginia Commonwealth University, Howard and possibly other schools.

My question to you all is......

WHAT DO YOU THINK MY CHANCES ARE TO GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOL?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
My Stats:

Overall GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: 3.72
DAT AA: 20
DAT TS: 20
DAT PA: 21
George Mason University: Integrative Studies Major, Chemistry Minor
Occupation as Dental Assistant, Physics Tutor, and Chemistry Tutor
Volunteer at Youth Shelter Home and Hospital

I am interested in applying to Virginia Commonwealth University, Howard and possibly other schools.

My question to you all is......

WHAT DO YOU THINK MY CHANCES ARE TO GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOL?!?!?!?!?!?!

Those are pretty solid stats. There's no reason why you couldn't get in somewhere.

Good luck!

there is no extrodinary lack of diversity at Midwestern. there are as many URM's at MWU as the average around the country which is lower than it should be. somethinpositive is still wants to carry on this old discussion so here we go.
agree with it.

Without scholarship it can leave a huge dent, are there any easy to get scholarships given that gpa is fairly good?

Are ECs helpful, and if so which ones are the best (e.g. research, community service). Also is shadowing and clinical/patient exposure important? Thanks.

This may be a long shot but her it goes, let me kwow what my chances are:

Alabama resident

Applying to UAB
BS biomedical sciences -3.09
Science- 2.75
DAT- taking it soon

Extracurricular:

President or several college organizations
500 campus volunteer hours
Mentor
Tutor

Strong rec letters.

I know I need more volunteer in a dentist office, and my gpa sucks. Any other suggestions? Anyone know what the minimum UAB accepts?