**What Schools Should I Apply To? / What Are My Chances?** (Read if this is you)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would really like to go to either a top school or a cheaper school. so NOVA, I wouldn't dig. and yes. FL would be one of my top choices :luck:

nova is same price as other OOS schools.. just saying, location is priceless.

UDM UOP and Temple are top 3 clinical program

Louisville is a great school, newly renovated, research oriented, academics, clinical, and friendly atmosphere, and school schedules your patients.

add BUFFALO and Uconn

Members don't see this ad.

nova is same price as other OOS schools.. just saying, location is priceless.

UDM UOP and Temple are top 3 clinical program

Louisville is a great school, newly renovated, research oriented, academics, clinical, and friendly atmosphere, and school schedules your patients.

add BUFFALO and Uconn

wow I see. thank you very much!! I see that you are in Texas. Do Texan dental schools have lower tuition than other states? I heard that their med schools are extremely tough to get into because of stellar program and lower tuition. I presume dental schools are similar.

wow I see. thank you very much!! I see that you are in Texas. Do Texan dental schools have lower tuition than other states? I heard that their med schools are extremely tough to get into because of stellar program and lower tuition. I presume dental schools are similar.

texas schools are the cheapest in the nation. OOS tuition for you here is still cheaper than the avg public school.

Members don't see this ad :)
texas schools are the cheapest in the nation. OOS tuition for you here is still cheaper than the avg public school.

ohhhh I seee. This is why everything is better in Texas.:thumbup::thumbup: How long it will take me to become a resident??? I presume it would be tough to get into?

ohhhh I seee. This is why everything is better in Texas.:thumbup::thumbup: How long it will take me to become a resident??? I presume it would be tough to get into?

yep but OOS tuition is cheaper than instate for other schools

Hi guys I am new to this site. I was wondering what are my chances on getting into dental school. My current gpa is 3.37 science is around. 3.4 I have a two year degree I'm dental hygiene currently working on my ba in health care admin. So far these are my preq grades English 1 B English 2 C math college Algebra A bio 1 B Bio 2 A chem 1 A chem 2A Orgo 1 A- Orgo two I'm currently taking Ap 1 and 2 B+ micro bio C. I haven't taken the dat yet but based on my grades do I have a chance. Also by being a hygienist does that help. And are my chances better because I'm Hispanic or is that a rumor. Thanks for the help guys and good luck!!!

GPA 3.3
DAT scores 6/12/13
17 AA
18 TS
16 QR *concern
16 RC * concern
18 Bio
18 GC
19 OC
20 PAT
DAT retake 9/13/13

Achievements
a) VP and webmaster of Pre-dental society
b) Treasurer of Arab Student Association (ASA)
c) independent research involving antimicrobial properties
d) full time job as Health Home Aide (HHA) while enrolled full time school
e) prior to HHA employment I worked at Best Buy and was top sales associate for 11 consecutive months, earned awards, promotion, and expanded communication training that required me to travel.
f) volunteered at two M.O.M projects
g) Volunteered at two dental offices 100+ hours
h) Volunteered at Oral surgeon office 50+ hours
i) President of ASA in the upcoming semester
j) continuing research in the upcoming semester

k) six total L.O.E
1) microbial genetics professor
2) research mentor
3) Physics lab professor
4) Dentist
5) Surgeon
6) employment at Best Buy from manager

Details and questions
As mentioned above I will retake my DAT in September. I strongly believe I can improve my scores to a minimum of a 20 AA. On my practice test I was scoring 26 on O chem and 24 on bio,my low test scores were due to my lack of sleep the night before the DAT. I was completely out of it while taking the test and evidently lacked any comprehension during the test. My concern is what are my chances of being accepted during this cycle?

I'm also seeking advice on which of the 6 L.O.E I should include in my application?

My strongest letters are (1,2,5,6) although my dentist letter is also strong just not as strong. I'm contemplating whether to include the dentist or surgeon letter (btw the surgeon is my brother-in-law). I plan on sending the remaining two by mail to all the dental schools I apply to.

I will not hold off until the next cycle, I have high but realistic hopes. Lastly, what schools should I apply to and any further advice on how I can improve my chances whether its contacting the schools, informing the schools of the reason behind my low test scores, etc.....

Thanks

Last edited:
GPA 3.3
DAT scores 6/12/13
17 AA
18 TS
16 QR *concern
16 RC * concern
18 Bio
18 GC
19 OC
20 PAT
DAT retake 9/13/13

Achievements
a) VP and webmaster of Pre-dental society
b) Treasurer of Arab Student Association (ASA)
c) independent research involving antimicrobial properties
d) full time job as Health Home Aide (HHA) while enrolled full time school
e) prior to HHA employment I worked at Best Buy and was top sales associate for 11 consecutive months, earned awards, promotion, and expanded communication training that required me to travel.
f) volunteered at two M.O.M projects
g) Volunteered at two dental offices 100+ hours
h) Volunteered at Oral surgeon office 50+ hours
i) President of ASA in the upcoming semester
j) continuing research in the upcoming semester

k) six total L.O.E
1) microbial genetics professor
2) research mentor
3) Physics lab professor
4) Dentist
5) Surgeon
6) employment at Best Buy from manager

Details and questions
As mentioned above I will retake my DAT in September. I strongly believe I can improve my scores to a minimum of a 20 AA. On my practice test I was scoring 26 on O chem and 24 on bio,my low test scores were due to my lack of sleep the night before the DAT. I was completely out of it while taking the test and evidently lacked any comprehension during the test. My concern is what are my chances of being accepted during this cycle?

I'm also seeking advice on which of the 6 L.O.E I should include in my application?

My strongest letters are (1,2,5,6) although my dentist letter is also strong just not as strong. I'm contemplating whether to include the dentist or surgeon letter (btw the surgeon is my brother-in-law). I plan on sending the remaining two by mail to all the dental schools I apply to.

I will not hold off until the next cycle, I have high but realistic hopes. Lastly, what schools should I apply to and any further advice on how I can improve my chances whether its contacting the schools, informing the schools of the reason behind my low test scores, etc.....

Thanks
With your GPA being a 3.3, a 17 AA and 18 TS will put you on the borderline of most schools. Also, many schools place a strong emphasis on RC since they say it correlates with DS performance. When you retake in September, aim for 20+ across the board since you have a lower GPA. One score below 20 will not kill you as long as it isn't below 18. You have excellent extracurriculars though, so that will definitely improve your chances. As far as the LOE's are concerned, you should submit your strongest 4, unless you have a committee letter, in which you can submit all 6. Be careful about submitting letters from relatives because some schools explicitly state not to have your dentist letter be from a relative. Some schools will allow you to submit extra LOE's directly to them (VCU) so check to see if the schools you are interested in allow that. I wouldn't try to make excuses to the schools for your low test scores, just do better next time. However, you might want to contact the schools just to let them know that you are planning on retaking the DAT just so they don't evaluate you on your first attempt.

EDIT: Not applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am sending my application in this week and everything is officially finished. I have my transcripts/LoR's in with AADSAS. My official DAT is on its way. Here are my stats and I was wondering which schools should I apply to:

BS in Molecular and Cellular Biology with a gpa of 2.90, and I just graduated with my Masters with a 3.20. I just finished my DAT and did well. My state is Arizona:

-oGPA: 3.01
-sGPA: 3.02
-DAT: 21/22/21
-Extracurricular-
-Shadowing: 310 hours (General, Endo, Perio, Ortho)
-Community Service: 1204 hours (Includes dental trips to Haiti and Honduras)
-Research: 1418 hours (Includes research at undergrad and grad university on cancer)
-Work: 6400 hours (Worked all through my undergrad)
-Committee Letter with four professors from grad courses, and One letter from a dentist
-Pre-dental workshop at two dental schools

Basically I am asking which schools give me a better chance with my DAT scores/high extracurricular hours, rather than my gpa (although I do have an upward trend on my gpa).

So far I have chosen schools: Midwestern ILL, Midwestern AZ, ASDOH, Boston, LECOM, Roseman, and Western.

If you can please give me any other schools that would give me a chance that would be great. I want to add three more schools and I really want to add Pacific but I don't think I have a chance there. Thank you everyone!

Can someone give me some advice?

Canadian citizen

GPA 3.76
Canadian DAT:
RC 16
TS 23
AA 21
PAT 22

80hr volunteering/shadowing dentist
1000+ volunteer (non dental)
1 year Coop/Work experience

Which schools should I apply to? I am really concerned about my RC. Are there schools that put less emphasis on DAT or are there schools that only look at AA and PAT and TS?

Which schools should I apply to? I am really concerned about my RC. Are there schools that put less emphasis on DAT or are there schools that only look at AA and PAT and TS?
What about NYU? I would save the money on Pacific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pacific is only 3 years and about the same per year as NYU. You will save 100k by going to Pacific

I love Pacific. In fact, my step-father went there. From what I've read, it would be miraculous to get in with a 3.0.

worried about my rc score..

Academic Avg. 20
PAT Avg. 23
Quant. 22
Read. Comp. 17
Biology 18
Inorg. 20
Org. 21
Total Sci. 20

BCP 3.63 (Bio 3.40 Chem 3.98 Physics 4.25 (not so sure how))
Science 3.67
Total 3.66

Dentistry Experience total hours 428
Work Experience total hours 1220
Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service total hours 243

directly from aadsas app

1 good lor from prof and 1 excellent from dentist and 1 not so sure from prof

im gonna apply to

MWU
USC
LECOM
MICHIGAN
NYU
CASE
PENN
baylor
houston
san antonio

resident - texas

Pacific is only 3 years and about the same per year as NYU. You will save 100k by going to Pacific

What are my chances at Pacific or NYU given that my stats are:

Canadian citizen

GPA 3.76
Canadian DAT:
RC 16
TS 23
AA 21
PAT 22

80hr volunteering/shadowing dentist
1000+ volunteer (non dental)
1 year Coop/Work experience

New to the site.. Just want some feedback on what ya'll think my chances are.. I'm an early applicant (not planning on a degree) but just took the DAT yesterday and here's my breakdown
PAT 22
QR 18
RC 21
BIO 21
GC 23
OC 25 (haven't taken second half yet either)
TS 22
AA 22
GPA: 3.98

should have put my previous thread since I failed to notice it

18 PAT
19 QR
19 RC
17 bio
15 GC
17 OC
17 AA:(

3.7 overall and science GPA (counting in summer grades); transferring to finish my bachelors this yr

1200 community service hours
3 years work experience
good LORS (dentist, two science, one non-science)

applying to UCSF, UOP, UCLA, USC, western, midwestern, AT still, roseman, UNLV, OHSU

debating to add Nova, Indiana, Lecom, and Temple

cant apply to NYU, Tufts, BU bc of CC classes in some pre-requisites

AADSAS submitted already and GPA verified; DAT was only thing holding

should have put my previous thread since I failed to notice it

18 PAT
19 QR
19 RC
17 bio
15 GC
17 OC
17 AA:(

3.7 overall and science GPA (counting in summer grades); transferring to finish my bachelors this yr

1200 community service hours
3 years work experience
good LORS (dentist, two science, one non-science)

applying to UCSF, UOP, UCLA, USC, western, midwestern, AT still, roseman, UNLV, OHSU

debating to add Nova, Indiana, Lecom, and Temple

cant apply to NYU, Tufts, BU bc of CC classes in some pre-requisites

AADSAS submitted already and GPA verified; DAT was only thing holding

Realistically speaking, your chances are not very good. Some students have been accepted with your stats before but it is tough.

Ok so a little background I am applying to Dental schools right now I just finished my DAT today didn't go so well I will apply to as many school as I have to that give me a chance to get in (even private school, money isn't an issue for me). I have a 3.6 GPA with an upward trend from 3.3 freshman year, it will probably go up during senior year as well. My extracurricular activities are very good, was an officer for a pre professional health club at my school (the largest organization at my school) as well as President of the largest fraternity at my school. I have well over 800+ community service hours and was the person in charge of raised over $10,000 with 2 main organizations mentioned earlier. 100+ hours of shadowing. Now the bad: I rushed my DAT studying so I could apply this cycle and ended up getting a 17 AA my lowest section was QR: got a 15 also didn't get anything over 20. Will take it again if I have to, the nerves got to me and I ended up doing worse in every section than any practice test I took from Qvault/Bootcamp/CrackDat also ended up studying way to in depth stuff that never ended up showing up everything was super general. But anyways I was wondering if you think I have a chance to get into USC NYU BU or really any school at this point lol. I know I'm not like most of you guys on here scoring 20s and applying to top schools, I just want to get in somewhere let me know what you think my chances are at getting in and where I should apply. Thanks guys!

Ok so a little background I am applying to Dental schools right now I just finished my DAT today didn't go so well I will apply to as many school as I have to that give me a chance to get in (even private school, money isn't an issue for me). I have a 3.6 GPA with an upward trend from 3.3 freshman year, it will probably go up during senior year as well. My extracurricular activities are very good, was an officer for a pre professional health club at my school (the largest organization at my school) as well as President of the largest fraternity at my school. I have well over 800+ community service hours and was the person in charge of raised over $10,000 with 2 main organizations mentioned earlier. 100+ hours of shadowing. Now the bad: I rushed my DAT studying so I could apply this cycle and ended up getting a 17 AA my lowest section was QR: got a 15 also didn't get anything over 20. Will take it again if I have to, the nerves got to me and I ended up doing worse in every section than any practice test I took from Qvault/Bootcamp/CrackDat also ended up studying way to in depth stuff that never ended up showing up everything was super general. But anyways I was wondering if you think I have a chance to get into USC NYU BU or really any school at this point lol. I know I'm not like most of you guys on here scoring 20s and applying to top schools, I just want to get in somewhere let me know what you think my chances are at getting in and where I should apply. Thanks guys!

If you are looking to get in somewhere, I think you have a chance. APPLY to as many schools as you can ASAP. You might not get pre-dec invites, but post-dec invites and acceptance are certainly possible.

New to the site.. Just want some feedback on what ya'll think my chances are.. I'm an early applicant (not planning on a degree) but just took the DAT yesterday and here's my breakdown
PAT 22
QR 18
RC 21
BIO 21
GC 23
OC 25 (haven't taken second half yet either)
TS 22
AA 22
GPA: 3.98

No chance. Stats are way too good.

As a reapplicant, I retook DAT and I am wondering what you guys think dental schools will see in these change in stats?
_________DAT1___DAT2
PAT______19______19
QR_______23______20
RC_______21______19
Bio_______17______20
GC_______17______21
OC_______17______16

TS_______17______19
AA_______19______19

I'm nervous. Even though the AA increased, it only increased by 0.2 point. In addition, now I have a score below 17.

What do you guys think about the impact of these new scores to my application? Does it making it better or worse?

As a reapplicant, I retook DAT and I am wondering what you guys think dental schools will see in these change in stats?
DAT1 DAT2
PAT 19 19
QR 23 20
RC 21 19
Bio 17 20
GC 17 21
OC 17 16

TS 17 19
AA 19 19

I'm nervous. Even though the AA increased, it only increased by 0.2 point. In addition, now I have a score below 17.

What do you guys think about the impact of these new scores to my application? Does it making it better or worse?

Look out for schools that do not accept scores under 17 other than that you're fine.

Just wanted to get a feel for everyone's opinions on my chances. I have been accepted to a couple of masters programs, but I am still going to apply this cycle.

Went to a large university and graduated with an oGPA of 2.85 and sGPA of 2.5. Took my DAT a few weeks ago and received: 18 BIO / 19 GC / 19 ORGO / 19 PAT / 20 RC / 16 QR

I have over 1,700+ hours of dental experience in an orthodontist, periodontist, endodontist and general dentist's office. I have over 200+ hours of volunteer service. I have had leadership positions in various university organizations. Additionally, I have had two research experiences at a major university and cancer center. I have LORS from a professor, research coordinator, coordinator at the cancer center, and a dentist I shadowed.

In my opinion your GPA's are too low...I would save your money...do the masters program and apply then.

I just took the DAT last week, and I am trying to determine how many schools I should apply to.

3.95 oGPA
3.95 sGPA

DAT Scores:
PAT 19
RC 26
BIO 19
GChem 20
OChem 29
QR 19
AA 23

I have over 100 hours volunteering in two different dental offices. I have 500+ hours volunteering with cub scouts. I also served a two year LDS mission in Veracruz, Mexico. Due to that I am obviously 100% fluent in spanish.

I live in MD and I am crossing my fingers that I can get into the University of Maryland. How many additional schools should I apply to? Right now I am thinking about applying to a total of 10 schools. Is that enough? Too many? I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

-Nick

I just took the DAT last week, and I am trying to determine how many schools I should apply to.

3.95 oGPA
3.95 sGPA

DAT Scores:
PAT 19
RC 26
BIO 19
GChem 20
OChem 29
QR 19
AA 23

I have over 100 hours volunteering in two different dental offices. I have 500+ hours volunteering with cub scouts. I also served a two year LDS mission in Veracruz, Mexico. Due to that I am obviously 100% fluent in spanish.

I live in MD and I am crossing my fingers that I can get into the University of Maryland. How many additional schools should I apply to? Right now I am thinking about applying to a total of 10 schools. Is that enough? Too many? I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

-Nick

That is a perfect amount. Maybe even too many schools. Your stats alone should get you some interviews.

Just finished the DAT today:
PAT: 19
QAT: 27
RC: 24
BIO: 20
GC: 24
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 23

Overall GPA: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.93

EC:
500+ hours volunteering at hospital
250+ hours shadowing
50+ hours observing dental students at community clinics
Intern then Secretary for health organization
2 year member of university dental club
1 Year Intramural Sport

What do you guys think my chances are, especially since I am a CA resident and Asian.
Do you think my PAT and BIO score will hurt my chances?

Just finished the DAT today:
PAT: 19
QAT: 27
RC: 24
BIO: 20
GC: 24
OC: 22
TS: 22
AA: 23

Overall GPA: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.93

EC:
500+ hours volunteering at hospital
250+ hours shadowing
50+ hours observing dental students at community clinics
Intern then Secretary for health organization
2 year member of university dental club
1 Year Intramural Sport

What do you guys think my chances are, especially since I am a CA resident and Asian.
Do you think my PAT and BIO score will hurt my chances?

Dude... No.

So I have a 3.84 overall GPA and 3.7 BCP and overall science GPA. I have good extracurriculars and my DAT is good as well (23AA/22TS/22PAT). I have applied to Louisville, MUSC and GRU but still no interviews. Should I be worried? I want to apply to more schools but I am in the hole financially... :(

So I have a 3.84 overall GPA and 3.7 BCP and overall science GPA. I have good extracurriculars and my DAT is good as well (23AA/22TS/22PAT). I have applied to Louisville, MUSC and GRU but still no interviews. Should I be worried? I want to apply to more schools but I am in the hole financially... :(

Same boat as u except ur dat is better! Louisville is my number 1 but no in interview yet. We ain't got a school here so I'm outta state applicant pretty much everywhere except there and LSU. I didn't have enough money to apply until august but lsu's dean of admissions told me "we should make a plan for next year."

When did u get the email back from Louisville that ur application was bein processed?

hmm...my aadsas says that on September 5th it went from Application Received/Under Review to Application Received/Complete

what do you guys think about this...

applied very late (9/29) and took DAT late (9/26)...

26 AA, 25 TS, 29 OC, 26 GC, 28 Reading, 23 Bio, 22 PAT, 22 QR

3.89 overall GPA, 3.95 science GPA

BUT....

no bachelors.... just four years of undergrad work (all the pre-reqs except Physics II complete; will take Spring of 2014), and two years of a four year Pharmacy school/Pharm.D. program complete.... don't plan on finishing the Pharm.D... hoping to get into dental this year...

....so ya basically am just a High School graduate haha...

Entire personal statement is on why I made the switch....

I feel like a tremendously odd candidate... maybe I am not alone? Any guesses on if I will get in?

as far as stats go you are certainly qualified..what dentistry experience do you have?

unfortunately only 28 hours of shadowing....

8 general dentist
8 orthodontist
4 endodontist
8 oral surgery

You think that's more of a concern than not having a bachelors degree?

unfortunately only 28 hours of shadowing....

8 general dentist
8 orthodontist
4 endodontist
8 oral surgery

You think that's more of a concern than not having a bachelors degree?

You shadowed 28 dentists fo 1 hour each? Why?

Reactions: 1 user
You shadowed 28 dentists fo 1 hour each? Why?
oh haha no, 8 hrs of general dentistry shadowing, 8 hours of orthodontist shadowing, etc..... i also just did 12 more hours of general dentist shadowing to bring my total number of shadowing hours to 40. i think its a total of like 5 dentists

This might be unrelated, but I was wondering, has anyone used the ADEA dental guide? I'm considering ordering one to apply for next year, but a lot of people have said they get their books late even if they place the order well in advance. Would there be any harm in using a version that's one year older? How useful was it when you were applying?

This might be unrelated, but I was wondering, has anyone used the ADEA dental guide? I'm considering ordering one to apply for next year, but a lot of people have said they get their books late even if they place the order well in advance. Would there be any harm in using a version that's one year older? How useful was it when you were applying?

I mean they release around every February, si eve if you get them "late", you will have the book before the application. I was able to narrow down the schools based on stats, ethnicity, tuition cost and state change availability. At least for me it was very helpful and good resource to see how much chance I have once I get the interview. Also later edition can give you information about the new schools.
It's definitely a good investment.

Reactions: 1 user
If I am international student frm asia side, with bachelor degree of biomedical. And I want to continue a DDS program? Which uni should I look for ? And which uni is international applicant friendly? Hope someone can help me out ? Thank you so mch

Hey everyone! I'm wondering what my chances are given my DAT scores below. I'm not sure whether they're good enough or if I should consider re-taking it.

DAT scores:
RC: 21
BIO: 19
CHEM: 20
SCI TOTAL: 19
AA: 20
PAT: 23

Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

Also, when schools are looking at the scores, do they only consider the reported scores, or will they also consider percentile rankings?

Last edited:
Hello friends. I live in CA and I am taking the prerequisite courses for dental schools. If any body has considered it is indicated in the UCLA website that no prerequisite courses should be taken online. Because of my situation I have to take some courses online this semester. If not I have to wait one more semster for my situation to go away before I can take these courses traditionally. Does it worth to wait one or two more semesters to take them traditionally in order to meet the requirements of UCLA dental school or it is better to take them online now. I asked the other dental schools in CA. Most of don't care about the prerequisite courses be taken online or traditionally. What is my chance to get accepted in UCLA? I have Master's degree in engineering and my BS GPA is 3.72 and my Master's GPA is 3.71
Thanks,