What schools to apply for during G'town SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MustaphaMond

El Gran Chojiji
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we're supposed to find out during orientation, but I'd like to fill out AMCAS before then. So far, from what I've gathered on this forum I'll be applying to:

drexel, mcv, jeff, nymc, gw, goergetown, florida, usf, miami, tulane, uva.

I'm a florida resident, I know FSU has a med school now but they start classes in may so I dont' think it would work out. Also, I'm not sure what mcv or jeff are, I've just seen them mentioned. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mcv = mcw?? (med college of wis)
jeff = jefferson

also try st. louis, uic, mco (med college of ohio), evms, case western, penn st.

do apply to a couple other skools you just like. don't have to think you have a chance at them, but try anyways.

batchild39 said:
mcv = mcw?? (med college of wis)
I'm not sure which one of these is SMP-friendly, but I just wanted to clarify this acronym:

MCV = Medical College of Virginia = Virginia Commonwealth University

MCW = Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
good call
mcv (aka vcu) is def smp friendly

i think you should still apply to fsu, especially since it is one of your state schools. i was talking with the smp program directors and they were saying that every year students get into programs that start early, before the smp classes are over (one that i can remember is some md/mba program at tufts). they said that it's definitely possible to do something like that. i'm sure they'd be willing to work with you on that - their main goal is to help you get into medical school! good luck. also, another school you might consider adding is temple. i know quite a few people in smp who were interviewed there this year.

Do you really have a chance coming out of the SMP to get into public schools like uva/vcu if you are out of state?

i got two friends from other states who just got into vcu

how is the georgetown smp viewed at those "top tier" schools?

mR LaZy said:
how is the georgetown smp viewed at those "top tier" schools?

you probably have to be a very well qualified applicant BEFORE smp in order to get into a top school. in other words, you most likely could have gotten into medical school without doing smp. that's not to say that it doesn't help. it might be that that type of applicant would have been accepted to some medical school without smp, but maybe it is the smp that helps get him/her into a better school. apparently there is at least one person in our class this year who has been accepted to a california school and i know that last year's class had someone who was accepted at columbia. it would be my guess that top tier schools don't know as much about smp as a school such as nymc because those top schools probably do not receive very many applicants from smp students each year. that's just my theory though. good luck.

Allright Im from WI and heres my list, any addtions/subtractions?

BU, Case Western, Drexel, EVMS, Geo Wash, Georgetown, Jeff, Layola, MCO, MCW, Penn State, St. Louis, Temple, Tufts (dads alum, and im on the waitlist there this year), Tulane, University of Illnois Chicago, UVA, UW, VCU, Wake Forrest

is there more preference for gtown smp to gtown's medical school?

mR LaZy said:
is there more preference for gtown smp to gtown's medical school?

They say they usually interview about 50% of the SMP class and accept about 20%. They definitely take the most of any one medical school.

Are you going there this fall?

tacrum43 said:
They say they usually interview about 50% of the SMP class and accept about 20%. They definitely take the most of any one medical school.

Are you going there this fall?

oh no, i'm just looking at options, i've been messing around in my undergraduate years and my gpa is like crap..so i'm just curious at what options i have and looking for the best ways to get in med school