What should I do? cGPA: 3.1, sGPA: 2.85

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Keep on waiting for Nebraska Masters of Anatomy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johns Hopkins MSPH in Family and Reproductive Health

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Ohio State MPH

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Take another year of undergrad to take physics/genchem/ochem, then do a post bacc

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

JimmyC3340

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm in some need of advice for next year...

I'm about to graduate from a top 50 undergrad school, and I need some advice on where to go from here.
My end goal is to become a doctor, whether it be an MD or DO, and I just want some guidance from all of you. Here is a little about me:
I have plenty of volunteer experience/did an SMDEP program over the summer/plenty of research over the summer/internships constantly
450 hours of volunteer experience, 350 hours of shadowing
I'm a URM, and from the state of Ohio, but I could change my residency to Nebraska since my dad lives there.
No MCAT yet, and I received C's in gen chem 1/2, physics 1/2, and ochem 1... I am thinking to retake them during either a masters, or if i decide to pursue another year of undergrad next year...

So I've applied to a few masters programs. I'm waiting to hear back from a Masters of Anatomy in the University of Nebraska. They grant you an interview at UNMC med school upon completion.
I've also been accepted into a MSPH at Johns Hopkins University for Family and Reproductive Health (falls in line with my ultimate goal of becoming an OB/GYN, and I've always wanted to get an MPH/MSPH)
I have been accepted to Ohio State for an MPH.

Now I know that an MPH isn't a remedy for a bad undergrad GPA, but I talked to the people at Hopkins and they said that I could take undergrad classes at the homewood campus for free (included in my tuition for the masters). I can't do that for Nebraska or OSU...

My overall question is, what do you guys think I should do? Should I go to Hopkins and retake gen chem/physics/ochem, or keep on waiting for Nebraksa and go there, or go to OSU and take their undergrad classes for an extra fee? Or should I just take another year of undergrad classes to retake all of these classes, do well in them, and then pursue a masters? I'm just confused as to what I should do... Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Which community do you represent?
If you are African American, there are 3 HBCU affiliated medical schools that will consider you (though bringing your Sgpa above 3.0 would be a big help). An MCAT over 500 would also help.
If you communicate effectively in Spanish, the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders are an option.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am white, but I come from a very low income area with a very high poverty rate. I've been told that I can be considered as a URM though because of my background...

Members don't see this ad :)
Med school right now is a pretty far stretch. In a sense, what I would ask is how comfortable you are being active in public health without being a clinician? You've gotten into an amazing school (JHU) for your MSPH and you seem really passionate. If you wanted, you could go on to get a PhD or DrPH in Family and Reproductive Health and work alongside physicians. Just a thought, since you seem to be at a point (stats wise) where getting in to medical school is going to require significant time and money.

Med school right now is a pretty far stretch. In a sense, what I would ask is how comfortable you are being active in public health without being a clinician? You've gotten into an amazing school (JHU) for your MSPH and you seem really passionate. If you wanted, you could go on to get a PhD or DrPH in Family and Reproductive Health and work alongside physicians. Just a thought, since you seem to be at a point (stats wise) where getting in to medical school is going to require significant time and money.

See, I really want to be a clinician since while I want to have a more global view of medicine with an MSPH, I still want to be able to individual help people one on one, like a doctor. That's the only problem...

If you are African American, there are 3 HBCU affiliated medical schools that will consider you (though bringing your Sgpa above 3.0 would be a big help). An MCAT over 500 would also help.
If you communicate effectively in Spanish, the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders are an option.
@gyngyn do you think I would have a chance if I just retook all the classes, and got into an SMP somewhere?

So I am white, but I come from a very low income area with a very high poverty rate. I've been told that I can be considered as a URM though because of my background...
You are not likely to be considered UiM at any of the schools I mentioned, then.

A low-income childhood that prevented your chance of consideration at a strong university would be an important point of context for a medical school application.
From what you have posted, it appears that this was not the case.

If you are from a rural or urban poor neighborhood, there is a bit of a boost if you have shown a validated commitment to service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn do you think I would have a chance if I just retook all the classes, and got into an SMP somewhere?
Re-taking classes can be recommended if you didn't master the material sufficiently to provide a background for MCAT self-study.
A sustained period of academic excellence resulting in an undergrad science gpa>3.0 would be my recommendation.

You are not likely to be considered UiM at any of the schools I mentioned, then.

A low income-childhood that prevented your chance of consideration at a strong university would be an important point of context for a medical school application.
From what you have posted, it appears that this was not the case.

If you are from a rural or urban poor neighborhood, there is a bit of a boost if you have shown a validated commitment to service.

So I do fit into the category of a low income childhood in a rural neighborhood, but luckily i received a full ride to my state school. The only thing is that I've still had to work around 30 hours a week to pay for rent, since I get no help from my parents.

And that is what I was thinking of doing, I'm unsure of how wise it would be to take out a 65 thousand dollar loan for an MSPH, when my number one goal is to become a physician...

So I do fit into the category of a low income childhood in a rural neighborhood, but luckily i received a full ride to my state school. The only thing is that I've still had to work around 30 hours a week to pay for rent, since I get no help from my parents. Do you think retaking courses would be a good choice?
State schools have a mission to serve their rural areas.
Your home state would welcome someone from your background, as long as the rest of the application was acceptable.

So I do fit into the category of a low income childhood in a rural neighborhood, but luckily i received a full ride to my state school. The only thing is that I've still had to work around 30 hours a week to pay for rent, since I get no help from my parents.

And that is what I was thinking of doing, I'm unsure of how wise it would be to take out a 65 thousand dollar loan for an MSPH, when my number one goal is to become a physician...
Read this (and everything the wise @DrMidlife has written int he NonTrad forum):
Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

An MPH isn't going to help you. You need to show that you can handle med school.

Unless you can verify that your state school views such a Master's degree differently from the MD schools I'm familiar with, no.

Your reading skills worry me, as they are necessary for the MCAT. What did I and gyngyn write above (more than once) about MPH degrees?
Ok, so an MPH will not help, understood!

So you have C's and have no MCAT score and you want to slide by as an URM?

I'd fix your train of thought first and then come back and ask for advice.

That's the most honest advice you will get man.

Don't distract yourself with public health classes, particularly if the price tag is a loan of 65K. Stay in undergrad for an extra year and take the classes you've not yet taken that are required for MCAT.

Study intensively for the MCAT. This cannot be emphasized enough.

Make a try for MD and/or DO but also consider a post-bac RN program as a way into nurse-midwife training. I think that there are also MS in nursing programs that qualify you for the RN exam and then for midwifery. Another option is to get a couple years of full-time employment in a clinical care role (patient care technician, EMT, etc) and then apply for a physician assistant program.

Hi,
Which 3 HBCU's are you referring to? Inquiring URM AA-female ....

You're not a URM...you're disadvantaged (maybe) --big difference. 2.85 with 120 credits is frankly terrible. Would take years to rehab for possible DO attempt. MD is out of question. Good luck.