What should I do next now that I have my MCAT scores, which are not top class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kam03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 21 years old completing my Bachelor's in Biology with a minor in Business (in my University's Honors program) and my overall GPA is 3.85. I recently got my MCAT scores back and I received a total of 27(10V, 9B, 8P), suffice to say this was not what I was hoping for after I took the Kaplan course and studied on my own for two months. *I still plan on applying to a few medical schools just in case they give me a shot at an interview.

I have a lot of leadership experience (president of student council, president of *my fraternity, and officer in other organizations). I have volunteered and shadowed physicians for over two years in undergrad. My letters of recommendation are from our Dean, Biology department chair, and other professors who wrote amazing letters (they showed me a copy).

I am wondering what are my chances of being accepted into a US medical school given my subpar MCAT score?

Secondly, what should my plan of action be from here on? I am primarily considering three options:
1. Apply to DO school ( I am intrigued by their philosophy)
2. Apply to Saint George and Ross in the Caribbean
3. Study for MCAT again and apply for 2013 ( I graduate in 2012 so I would be wasting one year) and it's very discouraging having not done well the first time and going through the whole process again

I would appreciate honest answers that will guide me in making the best decision. Thank you all in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cross out #2 for sure because your well above average GPA makes up for your low average mcat. You could retake and do better to be in a better position for next year, but if you apply now, a DO acceptance is well within your reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the cons of going to DO school?

From what I've read, there are very few cons associated with attending a medical school that offers a DO degree. As research has shown, MDs and DOs are receiving increasingly identical education, and are emerging from medical school to provide nearly indistinguishable treatment to patients. You have probably been treated by a DO.

As a DO, you will have access to all of the specialties that MDs have access to. This is, to my mind, the most important thing to remember, because it dispels the old myth that DOs do not wind up in lucrative or enjoyable jobs, or that they are somehow disadvantaged by the two letters proceeding their name. It allows a DO hopeful to stay focused on what is important: providing quality healthcare.

Once you specialize, it is unlikely that colleagues will remember (or care) which of the two medical degrees you hold. It has been noted, however, that DO students are confronted with more difficulty when trying to place into an MD residency of their choice (if it is a very competitive residency.) A DO student or physician will please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Thanks for that information. The only thing I am worried about is getting matched up for residency as I know that is VERY competitive, but I figure if you have the scores and letters of recommendation behind you then it will make your life easier. Tough decisions ahead (I wish there was an easy button in life!).