What should I do second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats going on everyone! So I have (almost) made it through my first year of med school. It's been a slug fest to say the least, but block by block, I've slowly understood my learning style and how to study properly. I went from studying 10+ hours everyday, to 4-5 hours per day with board studying thrown in. Saying that, I want a decent score on USMLE/COMLEX because I want the option of being able to match into a range of specialties. I'm not bent out of shape over anything competitive like surgery, derm, or plastics. I just want the option of being able to match EM, radiology, etc if I enjoy it.

And before I ask my main question, here is a little background: I go to one of the VCOM's and our match list usually looks decent, I'm probably in the middle of the pack when it comes to GPA (but I know this is low on the list compared to board scores), and I come from a SUPER small town (population size <1,000.) and I intend on returning once residency is over. I could care less about doing my residency at an academic hospital, and just want a firm understanding, so I can treat future patients in a rural town. Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should start "dipping my toes in" within the next year? I won't divulge too much info but I am slightly involved in my school e.g. member of a few clubs, SGA, etc. And to be quite honest, research sounds like a headache because I truly enjoy working in the community more, but if it is something that needs to be done, I will do it.

After reading my post I realize how many stipulations and how bratty I sound, but I don't want to do anything counterintuitive and SDN has never lead me astray, so thank you guys in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't want to do research, then the answer to your question, is no.
Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should start "dipping my toes in" within the next year?

That said. I would recommend getting your name on a poster or publication simply because it makes your application look a little better. You have to be involved in research in residency and if you decide to do something moderately competitive (EM, radiology) it can only help

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should start "dipping my toes in" within the next year? I won't divulge too much info but I am slightly involved in my school e.g. member of a few clubs, SGA, etc. And to be quite honest, research sounds like a headache because I truly enjoy working in the community more, but if it is something that needs to be done, I will do it.

Do whatever you want. Work in a free clinic back home. Volunteer. Whatever you feel like doing.

Research can be applied to a community setting including population health and disparities in smaller towns. Research is expected in some way, shape, or form in residency. So having the experience is alway helpful. Since you really don't want to do alot, the least you can do is some sort of project or case report that you can present at your schools research day conference. Who knows, you may enjoy it in the right setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
A pertinent question is "have you been keeping up with your reviews?" A lot of first years' don't keep up with their reviews as they adjust to medical school life. I know several friends that are using the summer to catch up on first-year course reviews so that they don't have to relearn everything when it comes time for dedicated.

Do whatever you want. Work in a free clinic back home. Volunteer. Whatever you feel like doing.

Research can be applied to a community setting including population health and disparities in smaller towns. Research is expected in some way, shape, or form in residency. So having the experience is alway helpful. Since you really don't want to do alot, the least you can do is some sort of project or case report that you can present at your schools research day conference. Who knows, you may enjoy it in the right setting.

Thank you for the info. I was involved in bench research during undergrad and never truly enjoyed it. I guess my mind always assumes research has to be inside of a lab. I’ll definitely reach out to our professors and see if I can get involved.

A pertinent question is "have you been keeping up with your reviews?" A lot of first years' don't keep up with their reviews as they adjust to medical school life. I know several friends that are using the summer to catch up on first-year course reviews so that they don't have to relearn everything when it comes time for dedicated.

Definitely! I make sure that the first part of my morning is spent going over my reviews. I decided against Zanki and went with Lightyear because I knew I would never keep up with reviews. I’m hoping to start USMLE-RX or Kaplan soon to make sure I’m conceptualizing everything. Wish me luck lol.

Thank you for the info. I was involved in bench research during undergrad and never truly enjoyed it. I guess my mind always assumes research has to be inside of a lab. I’ll definitely reach out to our professors and see if I can get involved.

Definitely! I make sure that the first part of my morning is spent going over my reviews. I decided against Zanki and went with Lightyear because I knew I would never keep up with reviews. I’m hoping to start USMLE-RX or Kaplan soon to make sure I’m conceptualizing everything. Wish me luck lol.

Nice job keeping up on your reviews, that's a solid start. The next question is, have you been doing Qbank questions? I think the # I saw in the latest research was something to the tune of peak scorers did 4K+ practice questions, which means you should probably have done about 1K by then of year 1 (assuming you will crank out 2k during dedicated).

Nice job keeping up on your reviews, that's a solid start. The next question is, have you been doing Qbank questions? I think the # I saw in the latest research was something to the tune of peak scorers did 4K+ practice questions, which means you should probably have done about 1K by then of year 1 (assuming you will crank out 2k during dedicated).
Does this 1K include practice questions from textbooks like BRS? I am in a traditional curriculum which the Qbank is above our scope for now...

What up, VCOM fam. Literally and philosophically sitting in the same boat as you are.

Like said, dipping your toes into some research is always helpful, but when looking at match statistics for Radiology, the average matched applicant had 1.8 research experiences and 2.8 posters or publications. For EM, it was 1.5 and 1.8 respectively. However, the average matched volunteer and work experiences for Rads was 2.9 and 5.0, and for EM was 3.3 and 6.0.

This makes me believe that those residency types value research less and individuals who get out and help their community populations more. So, if you absolutely can't do research, go out and volunteer some in the community, lord knows we have all kinds of that available to us. Then you wait till fourth year when we are all required to do a paper to count as research.

I am doing Lightyear also, keeping up with the reviews (sucks), and doing cards related to the block we are in, so currently cardio. At the end of each block, I try to do board questions. We get free ones through our library site from Board Vitals. They are not the best, but they are something. Recently, I did the free trial of USMLE-RX, and they were much better, but i didn't want to waste them, so I didn't continue with them yet.

Does this 1K include practice questions from textbooks like BRS? I am in a traditional curriculum which the Qbank is above our scope for now...

The research was specifically Qbank multiple-choice questions. I think specifically they referenced RX/Kaplan/Uworld but I don't see how BRS is substantially different, though personally I've never found BRS questions to be helpful for NBME tests.

Learn to invest and manage time money and energy. And improve the way you do things over all. And I’ll learn to use commas

Hey VCOM students!

Quick question for any of you guys. So I am trying to decide what medical school I should attend this summer, and I am currently considering VCOM-CC. I was wondering how you guys feel about the block schedule. Is it true there are 2 tests a week? Does this get annoying? Do you ever have a weekend to relax? Or is every weekend spent cramming for the 2 two exams?

Also, do you guys think VCOM gives students a good chance at going into specialties or is it too primary care focused? I am interested in PM&R and possibly Anesthesiology.

Finally, how brutal is mandatory attendance and dress codes?
Probably not the best place to high-jack a thread. Message me, and we can talk.