What Should I do with my life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rummie93

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now applying for a third year in a row (my first application was too late, so I really consider this a second year application). I am 22 years old, and my application highlights are:
30 MCAT (10,10,10), 3.85 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA, BA in Biochemistry.
>85 hours shadowing
1700 hours Americorps service
Founded a cross-country program in low income neighborhood
>400 hours additional community service both medical and non-medical
>1000 hours Organic Lab Research (no publication) but poster presentation at national conference
320 hours clinical research with 100 hours of direct patient contact (administering exams oral exams in University Hospital)
Have completed 11 half marathons, 11 marathons, 1 half Ironman
WL at VCU and Creighton (2015-2016)
Interview and rejection at Colorado (2015-2016)
Rejected: Oakland, Quinnipiac, PSU, Loyola, MCW, RF, OHSU, Sidney Kimmel, NYMC, USUHS, V Tech, Vermont
And now I have to decide if I should go to a Masters Program (Biochemistry no thesis) or work in research for an additional year while I await the decision for this year. I will be applying to schools in the same Tier as VCU and some DO schools. What do I need to do to improve my application, should I just do research or get my masters or anything else (Please don't respond improve your MCAT, I have already been strongly advised by two admissions directors to not retake it because if I screw anything up my application is trashed)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have approximate stats of the median matriculant, and your ECs seem pretty good also. Any thoughts on what may have affected your app if anything?

Also, perhaps you should try applying broadly to both MD and DO this cycle, you have very good stats for DO.

I was told by Creighton that my volunteer experience lacked (apparently they didn't know that I was an Americorps service member but said that would have greatly helped). VCU said there wasn't a single thing but that I should keep making additions. I have no idea why I only received three interviews because I was complete with almost all secondaries by August 1 and small pooled at almost every school.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many volunteer hours besides Americorp did you have during the time of applying? Your ECs show a lot of altruism. In your position I would be planning to apply broadly to MD and DO schools.

What were your ECs this past cycle? Could you be more specific? And is CO your state of residence?

Your hashtags made me laugh btw lol.

Approximately 250 with at risk youth for sexual assault, Special Olympics Coordinator and volunteer, and working with disabled athletes plus a couple other small hours.

What were your ECs this past cycle? Could you be more specific? And is CO your state of residence?

Your hashtags made me laugh btw lol.

250 hours volunteer, 70 shadowing hours, same research experience, a few less endurance events. IMO I am much more competitive this year than last.

To be honest that volunteerism sounds above average (and also more interesting than average). Perhaps the answer they gave you was a generic one. Are you OK with going DO as well as applying broadly MD? That seems to me to be the best approach this year.

Approximately 250 with at risk youth for sexual assault, Special Olympics Coordinator and volunteer, and working with disabled athletes plus a couple other small hours.

Did any of this take place in a clinical setting? Not having active clinical experience is what I would say held you back.

Reactions: 2 users
To be honest that volunteerism sounds above average (and also more interesting than average). Perhaps the answer they gave you was a generic one. Are you OK with going DO as well as applying broadly MD? That seems to me to be the best approach this year.

Yes, I am applying to RVUCOM, KCUMB, and Midwestern right now. Still trying to research the best DO to apply to for the first 2 years. And MD is super broad. Already applied to 15 and researching about 15 more to apply to

That sounds like a good plan. In your position I would go with 5-10 DO schools minimum if you can, just so if you do go DO you have a better chance of getting in and also possibly some choices of where to go.

Approx 50 hours

50 hours is on the lower side. Hopefully you've increased your patient contact hours for this cycle.

Here are some MD schools I would consider:

Tufts
Georgetown
Wake Forest
MCW
Jefferson
Creighton
Drexel
Morsani
NYMC
RFU
Temple
Rush
Vermont
VCU
EVMS
Tulane
Albany
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
OUWB
TCMC
PSU

You should be competitive for the DO schools you listed. Just make sure your MCAT score is still valid for this cycle for whatever schools you decide to apply to.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Yes, I am applying to RVUCOM, KCUMB, and Midwestern right now. Still trying to research the best DO to apply to for the first 2 years. And MD is super broad. Already applied to 15 and researching about 15 more to apply to

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

So is your point that I need to keep being an altruistic person?

He's saying you need more clinical/patient contact experience so Adcoms know you're not just altruistic but also know what you're getting into by going to medical school.
An example would be 150+ hours hospital volunteerism in addition to your shadowing.

What part of "We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years" don't you understand?

Please see addendum concerning clinical research and patient contact and let me know what you think? I just reread and saw that it wasn't added in OP.