What Should I Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ithyphallic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, in order to set a good example for my future family, I need to attend an elite med school. My dream is either Harvard or JHU. I am looking for incredibly blunt and honest opinions about my stats and what I need to do in order to get into these schools.

I attend UCR, which though is a UC, is notorious for being one of the less prestigious UCs.
I just finished my 1st year, and I have over 300+ hours of hospital volunteering. My GPA is 3.915
I plan to take a MCAT prep course in the summer following 2nd year, and then take the test my 3rd year.
I have no research at the moment, but I am going to start when I go back to school in the Fall.
I do not have close relationships with any faculty at this moment.
I do not have a physician mentor or any of the like.
I believe that I will score 515+ on the MCAT when I take it.

My questions are:
Should I transfer to a more prestigious school in order to have a better shot at Harvard or JHU, or is staying at UCR okay?
In order of priority, what should I work on at this moment?

Members don't see this ad.

:troll:?

However, if you want blunt opinions - I think your motivations for attending any medical school, much less an "elite med school," are crass and immature. It's disappointing that after 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, you have not found a better reason for choosing a medical school or better understand the purpose of medical education. For the sake of my profession, and as someone who went to an Ivy League undergrad, an "elite medical school," and is in a hyper competitive subspecialty, I hope you either gain a better perspective by the time you apply for medical school or that you fail miserably and that someone more deserving gets in. Good luck.

Reactions: 16 users
Hello everyone, in order to set a good example for my future family, I need to attend an elite med school. My dream is either Harvard or JHU. I am looking for incredibly blunt and honest opinions about my stats and what I need to do in order to get into these schools.

I attend UCR, which though is a UC, is notorious for being one of the less prestigious UCs.
I just finished my 1st year, and I have over 300+ hours of hospital volunteering. My GPA is 3.915
I plan to take a MCAT prep course in the summer following 2nd year, and then take the test my 3rd year.
I have no research at the moment, but I am going to start when I go back to school in the Fall.

My questions are:
Should I transfer to a more prestigious school in order to have a better shot at Harvard or JHU, or is staying at UCR okay?

I don't think your kids will hate you or look down on you because you didn't go to Harvard.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your kids will hate you or look down on you because you didn't go to Harvard.

I don't know, my non-existent children can definitely be judgemental, status-seeking little ****s.

Reactions: 20 users
Definitely transfer to Stanford!...ASAP! Only way you stand a chance getting into JHU or Harvard. Can't believe you even considered going to UCR in the first place? What WERE you thinking? o_O

Reactions: 5 users
Well see the problem is that your GPA isn't >4.0. I hear to get into Harvard or JH you need AT LEAST a 17 if not more. Also, your MCAT should be around a 540+ if you want a realistic shot, not to mention the 5 PHD's you will need.

Reactions: 4 users
If you attend UCR you should aim at UC med schools that are already hard enough to get into. I don't think you can predict whether or not you'll be good enough to get an acceptance from either school no matter what you do because they are extremely competitive.

The GPA and volunteering look good but you should've started research as well since HMS and JHU love love love a strong research background.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

DZn2Qhd.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
My condolences to your future children, as their upbringing will be tainted by such a bizarre mentality.

Reactions: 6 users
0/10 humblebrag, since this either isn't real or is otherwise meant to troll

for a trollpost, it gets 2/10

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, @caffeinemia I just want to say that I am deeply disappointed that a person anchored in such prestige like you, can fail to even attempt to see through such a shallow film that is my personality on the internet. I apologize that I tried to make things short and simple, and that I didn't account for the fact that you did not have the ability, to think even for a second that the sentence I wrote about my ambition might not be everything.
Second, I want to say that my post was absolutely not a "troll" post, and that everything that I mentioned is 100% true. I was actually looking for legitimate advice and not a bunch of self righteous moral compasses bombarding me with irrelevant criticism. However, I still do appreciate everyone for taking the time to reply, as I now realize what kind of people inhabit this forum. I tried to keep my post clear and concise, with only relevant information, but it seems that this type of behavior is looked down upon here. With this I will respond no more, and will look elsewhere for legitimate advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Says the guy with the screen name of "ithyphallic"

Jeeze, trolls these days. In my day, trolls were trolls. You had to actually work at being a troll!

First of all, @caffeinemia I just want to say that I am deeply disappointed that a person anchored in such prestige like you, can fail to even attempt to see through such a shallow film that is my personality on the internet. I apologize that I tried to make things short and simple, and that I didn't account for the fact that you did not have the ability, to think even for a second that the sentence I wrote about my ambition might not be everything.
Second, I want to say that my post was absolutely not a "troll" post, and that everything that I mentioned is 100% true. I was actually looking for legitimate advice and not a bunch of self righteous moral compasses bombarding me with irrelevant criticism. However, I still do appreciate everyone for taking the time to reply, as I now realize what kind of people inhabit this forum. I tried to keep my post clear and concise, with only relevant information, but it seems that this type of behavior is looked down upon here. With this I will respond no more, and will look elsewhere for legitimate advice.

Reactions: 1 user
On the off chance this isn't a troll post --

The elite medical schools are looking for superlative candidates. A 3.85+ GPA, 515+ MCAT and strong ECs are simply expected and should get you past the hourly-wage screener.

What will get you interviewed and accepted is something special -- a combination of humility, demonstrated service, dedication to others, creativity, passion for medicine. You'll need something to demonstrate that you're not a robotic prestige-***** and to hint that someday, Harvard/Hopkins/Stanford will be proud to claim you as an alumnus.

If you and your family can't be proud of attending any US MD school, the problem is your values. Earning your MD is not some award you win --

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, not the most professional choice of screen names, considering the educational goals expressed.
But it DOES set a good example for his future family. :p

First make a new SDN account because I assure you no one will be taking you seriously after this post

Second pre-write your "Chances for Harvard with a 3.9/498" thread.

Third start practicing your rants about how you refuse to apply DO because your orthopedic surgeon father doesn't consider them real doctors.

Its a good thing you're starting early, some students wait until their junior year!

If you get started now, one day you too can be one very happy Chinese girl.

Reactions: 1 users

Big words for a bunch of drivel. So much for being "clear and concise." How's this for concise: your stated rational sucks. I'd never infer that you or anyone else have any insight beyond what you've written, and as shown by your follow up, you don't.

Go away. There will be better candidates than you, including undergrads at UCR who do not feel the need to put down their non-prestigious school. In addition, if you pull your head out of your defensive arse, you might read between the lines and see that there is advice to find a better motivation for medical school and not just viewing it as a prestige degree/profession. I'd aim for professional sports, Nobel Prize, President of the United States, if that's what you're after. Also, check out the people who liked my comment - you might see a couple of adcoms and attendings in there, which might indicate that I'm on to something. Medicine's a rough sport, best not show what a soft underbelly you have.

Finally, cry me a river. The moment you leave this forum, the moment I win and another student gets the spot.

Reactions: 3 users
On a real note though, OP, in all seriousness, you currently attend a US college. Let alone a UC university. This is something that the VAST majority of humanity does not have the chance to do. Be grateful. Be humble. No need to say that your university is not prestigious enough to get into Harvard. I would safely bet that there are multiple acceptances to JHU and Harvard that are awarded to applicants who graduated from small, no-name, liberal arts colleges.

My questions are:

I think you should try to get advice from people who actually got into such universities. It would probably be hard to connect with such people on sdn. I would try a more targeted approach. maybe look them up on linkedin and try to connect with them and ask them questions. Also conect with admmission officers and seek their advice. I've learned life is all about networking. don't underestimate it.

Big words for a bunch of drivel. So much for being "clear and concise." How's this for concise: your stated rational sucks. I'd never infer that you or anyone else have any insight beyond what you've written, and as shown by your follow up, you don't.

Go away. There will be better candidates than you, including undergrads at UCR who do not feel the need to put down their non-prestigious school. In addition, if you pull your head out of your defensive arse, you might read between the lines and see that there is advice to find a better motivation for medical school and not just viewing it as a prestige degree/profession. I'd aim for professional sports, Nobel Prize, President of the United States, if that's what you're after. Also, check out the people who liked my comment - you might see a couple of adcoms and attendings in there, which might indicate that I'm on to something. Medicine's a rough sport, best not show what a soft underbelly you have.

Finally, cry me a river. The moment you leave this forum, the moment I win and another student gets the spot.
Savage

On a real note though, OP, in all seriousness, you currently attend a US college. Let alone a UC university. This is something that the VAST majority of humanity does not have the chance to do. Be grateful. Be humble. No need to say that your university is not prestigious enough to get into Harvard. I would safely bet that there are multiple acceptances to JHU and Harvard that are awarded to applicants who graduated from small, no-name, liberal arts colleges.

Please don't hate on "small, no-name, liberal arts colleges" -- They offer some of the very best undergraduate instruction that any amount of money can buy. It would be a safe bet indeed that there are many such grads in high places.

I LOL every time I read quotes like this. OP ha zero legitimate evidence that they can score this high, if he isn't a troll.

Just wanted to point out how funny it is that even as OP imagines a lofty MCAT score they still imagined one that would fail to impress people are Harvard or JHU

Please don't hate on "small, no-name, liberal arts colleges" -- They offer some of the very best undergraduate instruction that any amount of money can buy. It would be a safe bet indeed that there are many such grads in high places.

Not to derail but its always been my impression that there is a small cohort of very strong LACs (swarthmore, middleberry, etc) and then a much larger cohort of small, expensive, academically "forgiving" colleges.

Just wanted to point out how funny it is that even as OP imagines a lofty MCAT score they still imagined one that would fail to impress people are Harvard or JHU
I had the same thought reading this. I am only replying to this to bring more light to it.
Troll rating 1/10.

Apologies to have implied any hate with that comment. I simply stated it because it seems as if OP views his current college as some small no-name school. A school he would probably view in the same light as he would a small LAC.

Not to derail but its always been my impression that there is a small cohort of very strong LACs (swarthmore, middleberry, etc) and then a much larger cohort of small, expensive, academically "forgiving" colleges.

That may very well be true -- I have no insight or opinion on that either way. My only real point is that small liberal arts colleges are generally all about teaching undergraduates. That's what they do, what they care about, their entire mission. They're about thinking and learning and teaching.

In large big-name universities, it's "publish or perish" for the faculty and the system is designed to process through large numbers of students efficiently, which often means big, big classes and a much less personal touch. Classes or sections taught by grad student TAs who sometimes aren't the most English-proficient or aren't the best teachers. True, opportunities abound -- if you're the kind of student willing to search them out and assertive enough to make them happen. But less assertive and/or more introverted students can easily get left in the dust.

Check out the "Colleges that Change Lives" perspective --