This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anperry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently going to a small state school which I planned to attend for two years before transferring to UIUC (only about 45 min. away). I did this b/c, at the time, I was just planning on engineering and I could easily do the pre-engineering program at the small state school then transfer.

However, now that I've finished my first semester, I feel that this isn't the wisest idea with pre-med. Should I go ahead and transfer for my sophomore year so that I will have 3 continuous years at UIUC before applying to med school? There are also more opportunities there for volunteering, etc. and help for premeds from career center.

My only concern is that I will just be starting research this next semester at my current school, so I will have only one school semester and summer to work on that. And then there's letters of rec...will transferring make getting those more difficult? I'm really working to have a good application for when I do apply to med schools and (I hope this doesn't sound overly ambitious...) I'm really hoping to make it into a top 20...so I'm sort of worried a transfer will be harmful to this.

ANY ideas on this problem are welcome--I don't really know which option is the best at this point...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your current school a 4-year school? You might be best off staying there for the duration and majoring in something that will garner you an excellent GPA. It sounds like you already have the opportunity for research which is good and you should be seeking opportunities to be involved in community service in the local area that will provide help to those who can't help themselves.

The problem with big state schools that you may avoid at a smaller school is that classes are so large that it is almost impossible to get a decent letter of recommendation that is more than a rehash of the instructor's grade book. Instructors at smaller schools tend to get to know their students in a less superficial way and tend, therefore, to write more personalized letters.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in agreement with LizzyM. Small schools are great as you can really build a relationship with your professors. The only problem is that research can be hard at some schools due to lack of resources, but unless you are gunning for MD/PhD, this really should not be an issue. Also, engineering can really do a number on your GPA. I would suggest a challenging but less difficult major, if you are sure you want to go to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your current school a 4-year school? You might be best off staying there for the duration and majoring in something that will garner you an excellent GPA. It sounds like you already have the opportunity for research which is good and you should be seeking opportunities to be involved in community service in the local area that will provide help to those who can't help themselves.

The problem with big state schools that you may avoid at a smaller school is that classes are so large that it is almost impossible to get a decent letter of recommendation that is more than a rehash of the instructor's grade book. Instructors at smaller schools tend to get to know their students in a less superficial way and tend, therefore, to write more personalized letters.

@LizzyM Yes, my current school is a four-year school if I were to switch to another major; but for engineering, they only have a two-year program. I do see your point about sticking with my current school. The only problem is, the town it's in is very small, and there are significantly fewer opportunities for volunteering (I found hospice possibly and working at the local hospital. Whereas, in the area around UIUC, there's a refugee center I could volunteer at, free clinic, etc. Opportunities I'm passionate about.). I could drive 45-min every week to UIUC's campus to volunteer in that area, but is that an unreasonable thing to do during school?

And I know prestige is really a small issue in med school admissions, but I feel like the caliber of peers at UIUC is higher and might challenge me more than if I stay at my current school?

Also, if I switched my major from engineering and still transferred to UIUC, would that be a better idea (to keep up better GPA)? I received a 4.0 this past semester, but I don't feel very accomplished about it, considering it's not a 4.0 from a really challenging school...Ultimately, I guess I just want to transfer so that I know I'm not taking the easy route in terms of schools, and so I have more volunteering opportunities.

Will you really have more volunteer opportunities? You may find that you have much more competition for a volunteer slot in a big college town.

Why do you want to be an engineering major if you plan to be a physician and not an engineer? do you believe you can maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout. GPA is far more important than the school attended or your major. Non-clinical volunteering and clinical exposure are important, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Will you really have more volunteer opportunities? You may find that you have much more competition for a volunteer slot in a big college town.

Why do you want to be an engineering major if you plan to be a physician and not an engineer? do you believe you can maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout. GPA is far more important than the school attended or your major. Non-clinical volunteering and clinical exposure are important, too.

I agree about the engineering major issue--I have been considering switching majors for a while, and I think that's the best thing to do. I think, at whichever institution I end up at, a biology or chemistry major may be the way to go.

In terms of volunteer opportunities, I think so--there's a refugee resettlement clinic, for instance, that I am really hoping to work with, as well as a free clinic in the area, and two hospitals. Yes, there is competition, but there seems to be available resources, if one tries hard enough to find them.

I agree with what other posters are saying - I would not transfer. If you can maintain a 4.0, that would be awesome, and anyway the MCAT acts as the equalizer between schools of varying "difficulty." Is it possible for you to pursue these volunteer opportunities during your breaks or during the summer? Are there really no "unique" opportunities near your college? I think a lot of people struggle to find the most unique experiences to participate in, but I think if you can just get that patient contact in a clinical experience, that's great in of itself. Many people do basic volunteering in a hospital setting and get into a medical school. Don't feel like you have to go through all the hassle of transferring just to find the most unique ECs in order to get into medical school, because I really don't think that's the case.

I agree with what other posters are saying - I would not transfer. If you can maintain a 4.0, that would be awesome, and anyway the MCAT acts as the equalizer between schools of varying "difficulty." Is it possible for you to pursue these volunteer opportunities during your breaks or during the summer? Are there really no "unique" opportunities near your college? I think a lot of people struggle to find the most unique experiences to participate in, but I think if you can just get that patient contact in a clinical experience, that's great in of itself. Many people do basic volunteering in a hospital setting and get into a medical school. Don't feel like you have to go through all the hassle of transferring just to find the most unique ECs in order to get into medical school, because I really don't think that's the case.

Perhaps so. I'm thinking of then volunteering with hospice and at the local hospital, if possible, and then volunteering on the weekends in the area around UIUC. I guess I was just worried since it's my current school is so small and unknown, and there really aren't many pre-meds here, and none that I've met who have gone on to good med schools. But it seems that it's almost solely up to the individual applicant to stand out, regardless of the undergrad school?

What school do you attend? If the town can support a four year college there are opportunities for you. You just have to find them. Maintaining a 4.0 will be difficult at UIUC. But despite the great advice you've gotten here it seems you really want to transfer. Just think about it and how it will impact your ultimate goal of med school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But it seems that it's almost solely up to the individual applicant to stand out, regardless of the undergrad school?
Exactly! I don't think a lack of pre-meds will hurt you. If you ever have questions about the process, you can always ask here and there will always be people willing to help. I think your plan of volunteering in hospice and at the local hospital sounds very solid. :) Good luck!

The school I go to currently is Eastern Illinois Uni., if that helps at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm an EIU student too! EIU's small school size has helped me immensely in my opinion because the small class size has let me get really close with professors and do research, as well as find leadership opportunities on campus. Small town or not, there's a lot of opportunities available to you if you talk to your professors. Just ask around and you can find plenty of ways to boost your application!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for responding. I figured it was either EIU or ISU. OP stay where you are and do the best you can academically. Look for EC opportunities and find a couple you like. EIU used to be considered a hidden gem in the Illinois College system. It might still be. Their professors are good and very caring. Developing your application is on you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users