What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxpharm 2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice here. I recently got licensed in October. I have been working with a chain pharmacy for about 2 years now ( first as technician, then intern) and once I got licensed they offered me part time pharmacist job. I like working with this chain. But there is no guarantee of hours, right now I am only getting mostly 20 hrs per pay period, sometimes 30. I don't have any hospital experience, so I think there is no chance there.
Should I start looking for job at other chain pharmacies or should I stay in the same and wait until condition gets better, according to my DM there is no guarantee and specific time period after which I can get more hours.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have a minimum amount of hours that you are guaranteed? I'd probably start looking for a full time job but keep that one until you find one.

Reactions: 3 users
No, there are no minimum guaranteed hours. Some weeks I don't even get any hours at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't ask for advice without providing relevant details. Firstly, your hours as an intern and a pharmacist will greatly differ. Do you have student loans? How fast do you want to pay this off? What are the likeliness of you finding another job in your area? Are you willing to relocate? There is nothing wrong with taking the job offer and working to gain experience. If you're not willing to relocate then I would accept the job, see their offer, and decide whether you will decline or accept. Nothing is set in stone into you actually accept the job offer letter.

I would apply for other jobs then make decision whether to stay or leave. Right now you have no other option to choose from. I can't survive with 0-30 hours per pay period (Q 2 weeks?) even without student loan.

No, there are no minimum guaranteed hours. Some weeks I don't even get any hours at all.
You need to get ready. This is the future of pharmacy. We will have an average of 5 hours worked a week per a pharmacist. That way all the new pharmacists are employed and the per an hour wage stays high.

Find another job, CVS is always hiring. Be ready to move wherever. All the metro areas are saturated, they have abundance of part time floaters ready to be a full time staff at all times.

Hi, I need some advice here. I recently got licensed in October. I have been working with a chain pharmacy for about 2 years now ( first as technician, then intern) and once I got licensed they offered me part time pharmacist job. I like working with this chain. But there is no guarantee of hours, right now I am only getting mostly 20 hrs per pay period, sometimes 30. I don't have any hospital experience, so I think there is no chance there.
Should I start looking for job at other chain pharmacies or should I stay in the same and wait until condition gets better, according to my DM there is no guarantee and specific time period after which I can get more hours.
Thank you
Licensed in October?
Did you fail a board?

Could they be retaliating against you for that?

You need to get ready. This is the future of pharmacy. We will have an average of 5 hours worked a week per a pharmacist. That way all the new pharmacists are employed and the per an hour wage stays high.

I had not thought of it that way. Makes sense. Scary, though.