1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What Should I Do????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by smurf528, Jan 5, 2009.

1. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am in my third year of undergrad, and starting my spring semester today. I want to apply this summer, but I don't know if I'll be able to graduate by spring 2010 and go into to d-school for the 2010 cycle. I have 6 hard electives that I still have to take and a couple of other classes for my bachelor's. Should I load up or should I take it easy and apply for the 2011 cycle?? I don't know what to do....:(

2. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It depends. If you are a patient person, I would wait till 2011. You could concentrate on your studies and on shadowing and the like. If you are impatient and your GPA wouldn't suffer, Id go for 2010.

3. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Finishing a degree may or may not be required depending on your stats and on the school you will be applying to.

4. smurf528

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well I am shadowing throughout the semester so that will be fine. I know some schools don't require a degree, but I want to get my bachelor's degree before moving on. My gpa is not that great, but I'll be taking about 12-14 credits per semester and about 7 credits this summer.

5. Rajan247

Rajan247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if i were you i would wait, sounds like you've got your hands full already

6. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If I were you I'd apply, why not? The worst that happens is your re-apply in 2011 with a better idea of the ins and outs. Best case you get in a year early (you don't have to finish a degree unless you've told them you will before matriculation). I'd say go for it. Apply to your in state school and maybe a couple others, why wait?!

7. whlee84

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you're still young, and you shouldn't rush to apply to dental school. make sure you take all the electives and get good grades. make your application the best possible and take your time. many people take a year off after graduation, so you don't necessarily have to apply this year.

8. dc0617

2+ Year Member

I would def wait a year. It is hard enough taking a heavy coursework and dental school applications are really time consuming, especially if your school's pre-health committee has a separate process for getting a committee letter. The applicant pool is really competitive, you're better off focusing on your classes now and making your application shine later :) If you want to get started, it's never to early to start studying and practicing for the DAT!

9. ncjdent74

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you have $ to apply, then apply.

I personally wanted my undergraduate degree and waited to apply to dental school until I knew I would have my degree in the may of my entering year in d school...but some people could care less about a batchelor's, as long as they get their dds degree.

You make that decision for yourself.

ALSO! Keep in mind when you go on interviews...its messes up your class and work schedule. If you are gonna be taking hard classes you should keep this in mind cause it might drop your gpa...which you don't want. Trust me...these interviews come at the worst times. The majority of the schools I applied to gave me 2 weeks notice before the interview date....so you have to try to get off from work...reschedule test and what not. And with Science classes you need every possible night to study.

So if I were you I'd get my degree! You did all this work for it....you deserve it!

Good luck deciding! :)