What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm taking my DAT July 3rd for the first time and have submitted my application, transcripts, and LOR to only one school just so AADSAS can verify my application. My question is, right after I take my exam on July 3rd, should I apply that same day since I'll know my scores and a realistic list of schools or should I wait a few weeks for the score to be official on my application when the school receives them? Thank you again! If you have any better suggestions to make this more efficient, please don't hesitate! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm taking my DAT July 3rd for the first time and have submitted my application, transcripts, and LOR to only one school just so AADSAS can verify my application. My question is, right after I take my exam on July 3rd, should I apply that same day since I'll know my scores and a realistic list of schools or should I wait a few weeks for the score to be official on my application when the school receives them? Thank you again! If you have any better suggestions to make this more efficient, please don't hesitate! Thanks!

I'm a little confused, b/c you say that you did submit an application already to one school. So you should have just applied to all the schools you wanted to consider at that time...from what it sounds like, you want to go back after you take the DAT to submit additional applications and I dont think you can actually do that. Once you submit one application, e-submit, then thats it. correct me if i'm misunderstanding what you are asking. :)

I'm a little confused, b/c you say that you did submit an application already to one school. So you should have just applied to all the schools you wanted to consider at that time...from what it sounds like, you want to go back after you take the DAT to submit additional applications and I dont think you can actually do that. Once you submit one application, e-submit, then thats it. correct me if i'm misunderstanding what you are asking. :)

You can add schools later. He's just waiting on scores to help his school selection process. He wants to avoid applying to Harvard and then rolling a 17AA.

OP, I'd apply as soon as you know your scores if you really want to wait on them. It's early yet. I wouldn't worry about your application getting to schools a week or two before your scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the confusion. What my plan is, is to take the DAT on July 3rd and then add additional schools (or in my case, add all my schools except one which I already chose). I just wanted to get the verification process and gpa calculation started so I picked one school. My thinking is come July 3, I'll know my score and a realistic set of schools to apply to. Should I add the other schools right after my exam?

Jeff got it right on the money! Haha maybe not Harvard but Columbia ;) but would you say to add the additional schools right after my DAT on July 3rd?

Would you have waited for your score, as I'm doing? Or am I hurting myself this way? It's just to narrow my 19 schools down to a realistic number! At least after the exam, I'll know where I stand.

@Jeff: based on what youre saying, I should just apply to the schools right after I get the score that day, since it won't matter if they get my app a week early or so?

Would you have waited for your score, as I'm doing? Or am I hurting myself this way? It's just to narrow my 19 schools down to a realistic number! At least after the exam, I'll know where I stand.

@Jeff: based on what youre saying, I should just apply to the schools right after I get the score that day, since it won't matter if they get my app a week early or so?

If I were in your shoes (with a July 3 date), I think I'd do the same thing you're doing. It's kind of a smooth move to get your transcripts taken care of and hopefully your letters rolling. So you've got an 'active' application ready to roll.

I don't think you're hurting yourself either way. You're ultimately going to save some money. It's still really early. I think there's a general fear that schools are going to cast applications aside that don't have DAT scores or letters. From my experience with schools and from what I've gathered lingering around here for a couple of years, there aren't many schools that are sorting and filtering through applications this early. You'll be fine if your scores arrive after your applicaiton.

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. It was just a way for me to have my application completed by the time my DAT is taken. That way, I can just add the additional schools right after I see how I scored and all that's left is to pay and have it sent. I don't know if there are any disadvantages to this method though? Thanks again guys!

Any one else have any comments on my plan? I really want to know if there's any faults in my plan.