What specifically makes the AAMC Sample FL easier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyronitro

Reaction score
I just took the sample FL (unscored) and got a score I was fairly happy with (95%/94%/100%/97%). However, I also am reading that the sample FL is anywhere from "little bit harder" to "significantly easier." The B/B section was for sure easier and more straightfoward (almost Kaplan-esque with its discrete questions).

I can also see the CARS being slightly easier (maybe the passages were more interesting/digestible?). Is the CARS significantly harder on the actual exam? However, I'm a bit worried about the C/P because it already felt a bit hard. I've taken some NS C/Ps and it got kind of close to some of those NS FLs. Is the real deal actually even harder than this C/P?

Also with P/S I had some moments of self-doubt. Particularly with questions that ask "what kind of theory/term/concept best represents this scenario." There was always an alternative that got me anxious. Is this normal and does this occur with greater frequency on the real deal?

Members don't see this ad.

The sample is considered significantly easier because it mostly tests content knowledge. Keep in mind, this was the first version of the 2015 MCAT produced by the AAMC. It introduces you to taking a full 7.5 hour practice exam, but doesn’t test your critical thinking as much as the real MCAT.

As far as C/P goes, you’re in pretty solid shape. I believe I scored around an 85% on the C/P section on the sample (8 weeks out) and ended up with a 129 on the real deal. I felt like the C/P section on NS 1-5 was very close to my actual MCAT.

CARS on the sample was easier than the real deal. I had about 4 passages that were sample level difficulty, 2 that were NS difficulty, and 3 that were just stupid hard. Lol. This section brought my overall score down to a good, but not phenomenal score. Just make sure ALL parts of your answer agrees with the author, passage, etc. they like to trick you with partially correct answers.

B/B on the sample was exponentially easier than the real deal. The real thing was mostly like the section bank. Very data analysis heavy, almost no pseudodiscretes, and really tested my critical thinking skills. I also did well on this section.

P/S was pretty easy and similar to the sample on my MCAT. I will preface this with, I spent a lot of time on P/S. I listened to videos in my car, kept flash cards on my phone, and studied content every day. There were very few terms on my actual MCAT that I hadn’t seen. The sample asked mostly high yield content, while my MCAT was about half high yield half not high yield. Unfortunately, there is a higher frequency of 2 correct answers, but one is more correct due to a detail in the passage or question. But the overall style of the questions were pretty similar. Very straightforward. Anyone with solid reasoning skills and great content knowledge could’ve done well on my P/S section.

All in all, just keep pushing on. Take the AAMC scored full lengths 1-3 (if there’s a 4th one now do that too), and do the section bank timed. If you can do well on those under test-like conditions, you’re in good shape. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Pyronitro, you got a (95%/94%/100%/97%) on that exam, which is fantastic. I agree with Pharm2MD that the unscored AAMC exam rewards content knowledge, but it is still good indicator of how you will do on the real deal. While the MCAT is more of thinking test, a good foundation is also necessary, and you are in great shape in that area.

Do all of the AAMC material you can get your hands on and you should be 520+. You'll get used to the uncertainty that some incorrect answer choices can cause.

Reactions: 1 user
There were a good amount of descriptive, challenging science passages for C/P and B/B but a lot of the ensuing questions were strictly content based and didn't require passage information to answer. The CARS and P/S sections are notoriously easier on the unscored as well.