What stand/position does the AOA have on another OD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
opening up? From 16 schools in the 90's we are at 19 or 20. Each year, thousands of ODs pay their annual AOA, state and local optometric dues inclusind PAC. Why aren't thet putting a stop to no more Optometry schools?
Now another one to open up in Mass next summer.
Why isn't there anything done ?
I personally am disappointed in the AOA. Are they really looking after their members? practicing OD's?

Members don't see this ad.

opening up? From 16 schools in the 90's we are at 19 or 20. Each year, thousands of ODs pay their annual AOA, state and local optometric dues inclusind PAC. Why aren't thet putting a stop to no more Optometry schools?
I personally am disappointed in the AOA. Are they really looking after their members? practicing OD's?

Totally agree here. The AOA is really an embarrassment to our profession when it comes to how they handle serious issues. All we hear about these days is "Board Certification" and how critical it is for our survival. In reality, it's a total farce and makes us a laughing stock to legitimate board certified specialties in medicine, dentistry, and other fields. Are they addressing the real issues within optometry; insurance? oversupply? expansion of corporate and commercial "optometry?" Not a chance. They're too worried about getting people to buy into the Board Certification nonsense.

The people I'm even more frustrated with are those like Lesley Walls, OD,MD (founding dean of the new Mass school). They are the ones who could step in and say "Wait a minute, this doesn't make sense. Why are we starting up new programs when there is no need for more new ODs?" But, as usual, money talks so when someone offers you a few hundred K per year to blow sunshine up people's butts about a brand-spankin'-new OD program, you take it with a big smile on your face. Never mind the existing ODs who are seeing their profession collapse in front of them and the unfortunate souls who will pay even more than I did for their OD, only to graduate into a world with little in the way of respectable work and less pay than ever before. Thanks Dr. Walls. I wish I could be there for your introductory speech to the incoming 1st years when they start next year. I'd love to hear what you'll say to them about the bright future which lies ahead.

http://www.aoa.org/x5153.xml

"The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) is the only accrediting body for professional optometric degree (O.D.) programs, optometric residency programs and optometric technician programs in the United States and Canada.
Both the U.S. Department of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation recognize the ACOE as a reliable authority concerning the quality of education of the programs the Council accredits. ACOE accreditation means the programs that have attained accredited status:

• Meet the Council's standards of educational effectiveness; and

• Show a demonstrated commitment to quality assessment and improvement.
ACOE Mission

"The ACOE serves the public by establishing, maintaining and applying standards to ensure the academic quality and continuous improvement of optometric education that reflect the contemporary practice of optometry. The scope of the ACOE encompasses professional optometric degree programs, optometric residency programs, and optometric technician programs."

• Professional Optometric Degree programs are courses of study leading to a doctor of optometry (O.D.) degree.

• Optometric Residency programs of postdoctoral optometry clinical education are designed to advance the optometric graduate's preparation for patient care services beyond entry-level practice.

• Optometric Technician programs prepare students to work as optometric technicians with a working knowledge and an understanding of the procedures within the current scope of optometric practice. These programs are a minimum of one academic year."
I don't think the ACOE is affiliated with the AOA so the AOA really has no control over the opening or accreditation of new schools.

http://www.aoa.org/x5153.xmlI don't think the ACOE is affiliated with the AOA so the AOA really has no control over the opening or accreditation of new schools.

Yes, the ACOE is only on the AOA website. And 9 out of 11 of the members are from the AOA: http://www.aoa.org/x5154.xml There is most definitely noooooo affiliation.

Why do you even post your opinion if you don't bother to click your mouse 2 times to find this info out that I just did?