What state has the best in-state resident advantage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What state has the best in-state resident advantage. I know Cali has a good number of seats, but it is over-flooded with pre-meds. I also know TX comes up alot, but I am wondering can it be the FL is the best state to be an instate resident in if your a prospective applicant because of the new DO medical schools that are going to open/opened and the current med schools, UofF, USF, U of M, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

check out the MSAR. It will show you the number of instate students who applied and the # accepted. I think that's only for MD though. I don't know about DO.

i have a friend who moved to Florida specifically to establish residency and re-apply, so this may support your theory...

Members don't see this ad :)
Louisiana and Mississippi.

Ohio is good.

Texas is good, but has gotten much more competitive instate.

Ohio is definately good. Six MD and 1 DO, I think? The fact that I used to live in Ohio even helped me with getting in as an OOS'er.

Colorado sucks for IS'ers.

University of Nevada accepts very very few out of state. Quote from their site:

"Currently 5 spaces in the class are open to out of state applicants. That number will increase slightly as class sizes increase. The average GPA of admitted students is 3.6 and the average MCAT is 9.6."

NY state; as per what I heard from friends that got accepted.

When considering this, don't forget instate "ties" if you used to live in a state, (go Bioteach!) have family who live in a state, etc. Indiana specifically mentioned this as a preferance, Nebraska (not Creighton) said it was essentially a requirement to be considered as an OOS applicant.

I'm still considered an instate applicant for one IL school as my parents own a house in IL, & will pay instate tuition if accepted to another, although I've resided outside the state for several years. This last note was buried in the school's charter and was unknown to the admissions office; had to go to the residency expert to verify.. check those rules carefully..

Texas, Ohio, Florida, maybe NY - probably best.

California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania - probably worst.

You guys might laugh, but I look at the MSAR before bed almost every night. According to my search, Missippi was really good, virtually no out of state applicants and roughly 200 applied students applied with about 150 getting interviews-eventually leading to a class of 100 or so. I was seriously thinking about moving, but you do know that MS is the poorest state in the country and on top of that I don't think they like minorities much down there. I looked into Texas, and it is definitely a good number game to play there because of the sheer magnitude of seats available and if I am not mistaken they even have their own common application only for texas schools, which means people around the country are less willing to apply. My new found remarkable finding is that if you want to maximize your chances at an LCME accredited school, consider moving to Puerto Rico. Yep, they have 3 schools all accredited by LCME and the entering stats are very low. The rate of acceptance is a little over 70% if you calculate the total offered admissions at these 3 schools over the total applicants to all 3. The only down side is that you have to have atleast a working knowledge of Spanish (but thats a little sacrifice for the greater good) and two of the 3 schools have "funky" or lets say out of the ordinary school names that sound similar to a mexico medical school. I was thinking about packing my bags to PR but I am a bit hesitant because of all these factors and plus, the MCAT averages are extremely low. SGU/Ross students in the carribean might possibly have better stats.

When considering this, don't forget instate "ties" if you used to live in a state, (go Bioteach!) have family who live in a state, etc. Indiana specifically mentioned this as a preferance, Nebraska (not Creighton) said it was essentially a requirement to be considered as an OOS applicant.

I'm still considered an instate applicant for one IL school as my parents own a house in IL, & will pay instate tuition if accepted to another, although I've resided outside the state for several years. This last note was buried in the school's charter and was unknown to the admissions office; had to go to the residency expert to verify.. check those rules carefully..

Do you know more about Indiana? I was kind of wondering about that. I grew up in Indiana and graduated high school there, but my parents moved to Florida once I graduated. Half my family still lives there...(one of the largest farms in Indiana)

Florida is very nice as well. Even Miami, a private school, sets the bar higher for OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys might laugh, but I look at the MSAR before bed almost every night.
Worth picking up the new one, if you're spending that much time with it.
According to my search, Missippi was really good, virtually no out of state applicants and roughly 200 applied students applied with about 150 getting interviews-eventually leading to a class of 100 or so. I was seriously thinking about moving, but you do know that MS is the poorest state in the country and on top of that I don't think they like minorities much down there.
I hang out with a SE Asian surgeon who recently graduated from Mississippi. You might find that the minority communities are strong and supportive.
My new found remarkable finding is that if you want to maximize your chances at an LCME accredited school, consider moving to Puerto Rico. Yep, they have 3 schools all accredited by LCME
4 schools. San Juan Bautista was LCME accredited for the '08 class.
The only down side is that you have to have atleast a working knowledge of Spanish (but thats a little sacrifice for the greater good)
You're interviewed in Spanish, some of your classes are in Spanish, the grocery store checker only speaks Spanish, and all your patients on rotations speak only Spanish. That "working knowledge" can get you into a world of hurt if you're not up to becoming fluent at the same time you're in med school.
and two of the 3 schools have "funky" or lets say out of the ordinary school names that sound similar to a mexico medical school.
Dude. It's called Spanish. You realize that Ponce is the name of a major city? That PR is actually in the center of the Carribean, so a University of the Central Caribbean is as logical as NEOUCOM?
I was thinking about packing my bags to PR but I am a bit hesitant because of all these factors and plus, the MCAT averages are extremely low. SGU/Ross students in the carribean might possibly have better stats.
SGU/Ross students are IMGs. PR students are not. PR is Hawaii in Spanish.

Do you know more about Indiana? I was kind of wondering about that. I grew up in Indiana and graduated high school there, but my parents moved to Florida once I graduated. Half my family still lives there...(one of the largest farms in Indiana)

Florida is very nice as well. Even Miami, a private school, sets the bar higher for OOS.
Just a thought.. a bunch of us got outright rejections pre-secondary from IU(PUI) at the beginning of the 2008 application season, ostensibly because we were all out of state. So if I were you, since you do have pretty strong ties, I'd call them before submitting your AMCAS and ask them how to explain your ties when there's no ability to do that on your primary. It can't hurt, and it might help you at least get the secondary.

As a backup, if you do get one of those early rejections, you could call and ask for reconsideration based on state ties.

I even have drool spots on some of the pages from sleeping on it. Maybe a school will just pop out at me one day. but NC seems to be getting better as more spots are going to be opening up so you have Wake; Duke; Brody; and UNC each are very good schools.

I even have drool spots on some of the pages from sleeping on it. Maybe a school will just pop out at me one day. but NC seems to be getting better as more spots are going to be opening up so you have Wake; Duke; Brody; and UNC each are very good schools.

But Duke and Wake are both private schools (IS/OOS doesn't really matter) and UNC is TOUGH! So, I wouldn't consider NC an amazing place to be in-state . . . unless you're pretty awesome and in love with UNC (I had a friend in undergrad who fit that description to a T!)

And then there's me - I am not even remotely in love with ANY of my in-state possibilities (Michigan schools or Missouri schools). Mostly, because I don't want to live in either of those places (been there, done that!) The whole IS thing is SUCH a bummer. There are so many schools that I would love to go to (and places I would love to live), but I can't bother to apply to a lot of them because they have such tough OOS acceptance rates/rules. Sometimes I wish I lived in Idaho or Montana, just so I could apply to some of those West coast schools, like UW. :laugh: And maybe other state schools would feel sorry for me, too . . . having no state med school of my own!
But alas . . . 'tis not the case. +pity+

Just a thought.. a bunch of us got outright rejections pre-secondary from IU(PUI) at the beginning of the 2008 application season, ostensibly because we were all out of state. So if I were you, since you do have pretty strong ties, I'd call them before submitting your AMCAS and ask them how to explain your ties when there's no ability to do that on your primary. It can't hurt, and it might help you at least get the secondary.

As a backup, if you do get one of those early rejections, you could call and ask for reconsideration based on state ties.

Thanks for the reply. I got a PM about it too. I guess I will need to call sometime! I'd want the Evansville campus, which is one of those places nobody normally wants to go to, but it is only an hour from where I grew up and my sister/nephew live there...and my dad was a doctor in the same town for near 20 years. Hopefully that'll help!

Sometimes I wish I lived in Idaho or Montana, just so I could apply to some of those West coast schools, like UW. :laugh: And maybe other state schools would feel sorry for me, too . . . having no state med school of my own!
But alas . . . 'tis not the case. +pity+

Idaho and Oregon are probably two of the worst states for IS. Idaho gets 28 in-state seats a year combined between Utah and Washington, though PNWU (DO) has changed this a bit. OHSU as a private University gives no preference to Oregon Residents (maybe the new DO school in Lebanon will help in 4 years).
Montana and Wyoming get WICHE exception and I think this is where you are getting Idaho confused in with them, but our legislation wasn't smart enough to hop on bored and get us West Coast IS like Montana and Wyoming. Instead we have probably about 10% of pre-meds getting an IS look, everyone else is forced OOS.

To OP:
I'd say Puerto Rico as huge IS (though it may be a stretch to establish residency ecspecially if you don't speak spanish.) Because of the bilingual requirnement and the heavy bias towards IS, you can see there stats leave much to be desired in the academic/MCAT area.

OHSU as a private University gives no preference to Oregon Residents

False. OHSU is a public, state-supported school, which (like Vermont) accepts a sizeable OOS population. But still, roughly 70% of the student body are Oregon residents.

I'd say Puerto Rico as huge IS (though it may be a stretch to establish residency ecspecially if you don't speak spanish.) Because of the bilingual requirnement and the heavy bias towards IS, you can see there stats leave much to be desired in the academic/MCAT area.
Uh, the low MCAT might be because English is a second language for many Puerto Ricans and the MCAT is only offered in English?

Uh, the low MCAT might be because English is a second language for many Puerto Ricans and the MCAT is only offered in English?

I don't remember arguing this point? Regardless of the reason the fact is the avg GPA and MCAT are significantly lower than other schools, that is all I said. You seem to be a bit on the defensive side for no apparent reason...truthfully I would give up a chunk of my academic record and MCAT in exchange for being bilingual in spanish/english (I'm working on it but far from it).

And DrMidLife is correct about OHSU, I must have got confused sorry for the false info on Oregon

UMASS Medical School lists being a certified legal Massachusetts resident as part of it's selection criteria on the website. Hope this helps.

UMASS Medical School lists being a certified legal Massachusetts resident as part of it's selection criteria on the website. Hope this helps.

but isn't it notoriously hard to establish MA residency?

Idaho and Oregon are probably two of the worst states for IS. Idaho gets 28 in-state seats a year combined between Utah and Washington, though PNWU (DO) has changed this a bit. OHSU as a private University gives no preference to Oregon Residents (maybe the new DO school in Lebanon will help in 4 years).
Montana and Wyoming get WICHE exception and I think this is where you are getting Idaho confused in with them, but our legislation wasn't smart enough to hop on bored and get us West Coast IS like Montana and Wyoming. Instead we have probably about 10% of pre-meds getting an IS look, everyone else is forced OOS.
quote]

Whoah! I was kidding! (see the laughing face?) All I meant to say is that if you're OOS for schools like UW, it's completely pointless to apply because they won't even consider you . . . unless you're from one of those states they specifically mention in the MSAR (Idaho, Wyoming, Alaska, etc.). So, I can't even throw my hat in the ring right now, whereas if I lived in one of those states I could (no matter how bleak the prospect seemed, at least it would be legit to try). Get my drift?

But I'm silly like that. The whole IS/OOS thing just irks me in general because it runs contrary to my nomadic nature! I don't want to STAY in my state . . . there are too many other places to explore and experience! I want to LEAVE! And yet I would love that whole resident-advantage thing (can't have the cake and eat it too, I guess!) :D

but isn't it notoriously hard to establish MA residency?

Yes. UMASS requires 5 yrs residency in Mass. I think there are clauses where if you went to high school in Mass, then you can claim MA residence.

The AAMC has a number of data tables published that summarize this sort of information. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm

For example, West Virginia residents had the best overall rate of matriculation in 2007: 57.6% of WV applicants wound up in a medical school somewhere. That "somewhere" was most likely West Virginia: 90% of matriculants stayed in-state.