..What to ask the interviewers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I need some quick advice because I have an upcoming pharmacy school interview. So, without being too specific on any school, what are some basic MUST questions to always ask the interviewers? Help me out guys! Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

At my interview I asked several questions. Here are a few of them.

What is the school's 5 year vision? (the school has a new building, dean, so I was basically asking them, what's next for them?)

What do you think will be the greatest challenge facing the graduating class of 2015? Are you doing anything specific to prepare your students for this challenge?

How do you integrate interprofessional training into the curriculum? (the school website touted that they had interprofessional training with the universities other healthcare colleges, so I mentioned that and asked them how they actually do this)

I would definitely review the things the school highights about their program on their website and ask them specific questions about those items. This shows them that you have reearched their school and are interested to know more about them.

NAPLEX passing rate, if you can't find them on their website. After the interview was a tour. During the tour I asked about their NAPLEX passing rate, which she actually forgot to mention, and seemed happy that I asked. After she told me the passing rate (97%), I was like "Oh wow, that's great!!". :D

Retention rate (although I forgot to ask this question) is a useful statistic, which most schools don't readily post (either you have to dig for it or specifically ask).

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the above is great advice. I would really recommend asking questions about the program specifically, as it lets them know you've done the research. I asked about rotation sites in the area during second year (since our school sends students out every Friday during second year) and the likelihood of a PharmD/MPH (based on discussions on SDN :D ).

All of the above is great advice. I would really recommend asking questions about the program specifically, as it lets them know you've done the research. I asked about rotation sites in the area during second year (since our school sends students out every Friday during second year) and the likelihood of a PharmD/MPH (based on discussions on SDN :D ).

I also did that. Most of my questions (about 6-8) were all specific to the program and to myself.

Awesome feedback guys, thanks!!

@KB830 or someone else, what do you refer to retention rate and how does it apply to pharmacy school? Just curious.

Retention (or attrition, really) tells you how many students stayed in the cohort from start to finish. If a class started with 90 students, but only 81 graduated, then they have a 90% retention (10% attrition) rate. Most schools probably have a single-digit attrition rate, losing 1 or 2 people during their 4 year stay at the institution, but it's not a bad number to know.

I asked about the strengths and weaknesses of the program. I also asked about diversity and community involvement. I also asked about where students go after they graduate (residency, hospital, retail, independent, research, academia, etc). I asked how the school prepares their students to be competitive in a lagging economy (and then I clarified the question by asking what was unique to their curriculum, style of teaching, etc.).

Not to change the topic but B, are you doing the PharmD/MPH? I am worried about adding another year because my gf really, really wants to get on the ball with med school (I don't blame her). But, I am already going to do this rural health program which will enable me to take a couple of additional classes from the college of public health and obtain a certificate in health disparity and inequity. I am wondering if that will be enough to set myself apart in that way. I am just not business oriented so the MBA doesn't really draw me.

In addition to some of the questions already posted, since I was interviewed by a faculty member who was a researcher, I asked about his research. He had several projects going on in diverse areas and it was really interesting to hear about.

In addition to some of the questions already posted, since I was interviewed by a faculty member who was a researcher, I asked about his research. He had several projects going on in diverse areas and it was really interesting to hear about.

Hello! I have a couple of interviews too, and I was reading about the faculty on their websites. It does say what research they are specifically interested in, but at times I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of specific questions since I have no idea what some of the research topics are about. And I don't really want to sound like I don't really know what I'm talking about...what are some general questions about research that I could ask? Thank you so much for the help! :)

Hello! I have a couple of interviews too, and I was reading about the faculty on their websites. It does say what research they are specifically interested in, but at times I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of specific questions since I have no idea what some of the research topics are about. And I don't really want to sound like I don't really know what I'm talking about...what are some general questions about research that I could ask? Thank you so much for the help! :)

I just said, "You have said that you research in addition to teaching, what are you currently working on?"

Any terms that were really crazy, he explained. He actually talked for quite some time about it, and he was good about not assuming that I knew a lot about medicinal chem research. The interview was pretty conversational, so it was really just me interested in him, since he had asked so many questions about me.

I just said, "You have said that you research in addition to teaching, what are you currently working on?"

Any terms that were really crazy, he explained. He actually talked for quite some time about it, and he was good about not assuming that I knew a lot about medicinal chem research. The interview was pretty conversational, so it was really just me interested in him, since he had asked so many questions about me.

Thanks again! :)

Hello,

First & foremost, congrats on making it this far, and I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming interviews.

I'm currently a P1 student. Having gone through the interviewing process last year, I hope I can help.

You want to avoid asking some of the more common questions, i.e. "Why did YOU choose pharmacy?" I'm sure the interviewing committee members have answered this and other similar questions a million times over. Instead, try to ask questions that enable you to stand out from other candidates. Last year, I asked, "How has the role of a pharmacist changed, since you've graduated?"

Again, good luck!

-Hannah

One that'll catch them off guard:

"If you were a prospective pharmacy applicant right now, in this climate, would you take on the debt burden to become a pharmacist?" (I.e., would you do it again?)

Pick any two or three questions that you've seen posted in this thread. It'll have your interviewer talking forever. And before you know it, the interview will be over. :D

One that'll catch them off guard:

"If you were a prospective pharmacy applicant right now, in this climate, would you take on the debt burden to become a pharmacist?" (I.e., would you do it again?)

I think a good question would be: How much debt burden in this climate would you take on to become a pharmacist? And follow it up with: well your answer seems to be inconsistent with the cost of this school, please explain. :laugh:

Honestly, I think if you can get a pharmD for under 100K, go for it.