what to choose as your major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorpiox86n

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My current major is Biology but it seems like everyone who wants to apply to med/den school expectedly chooses that as their major,(atleast some of my friends). I am rethinking about my options. I surely want to have a science major. Does anyone know if picking a different 'science' major would augment your chances of getting into med/den school? And if also choosing to do a minor, is it better to have a polar combination, (math/science), and should one live with the idea that having a minor would surely make him/her a viable competitor?
thankx

Members don't see this ad.

Though you can get in without being a science major, I think science majors are still preferable. You knew that, I'm sure. I personally think any science you feel is most interesting and you can excell in is the best pick for you. The goal is to get at LEAST a 3.5 overall. Now, many don't have a 3.5 and they got in, including me...but if it keeps getting more and more competitive, a 3.5 is something to shoot for I would think. I was told 3.6 by one adcom. The reason Biology ends up being beneficial is that dentistry is largely biology along with some chemistry. On the DAT, many small, random biology questions are asked and unless you have a very broad yet detailed knowledge of the subject, you may not do that well without extensive studying for this section of the DAT and all the underlying details. In addition, some of dentistry is involved in research. Biology I would think is also the best route for this aspect. In summary, take your science courses and do well no matter which major you choose. I wouldnt think you would be given preference bc you are a physics major or something like that...unless some school was really grasping to broaden their base.

Also, remember that lots of schools are beginning to mandate a new pre-requisite: biochemistry. Anatomy and Physiology is another "extra" course required at (so far) a few schools. It may be easier to work classes like these into your schedule if they're already required for your major.

Of course, I wish my school offered degrees in sciences other than the big three: biology, chemistry and physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
thankyou :)

Though you can get in without being a science major, I think science majors are still preferable. You knew that, I'm sure. I personally think any science you feel is most interesting and you can excell in is the best pick for you. The goal is to get at LEAST a 3.5 overall. Now, many don't have a 3.5 and they got in, including me...but if it keeps getting more and more competitive, a 3.5 is something to shoot for I would think. I was told 3.6 by one adcom. The reason Biology ends up being beneficial is that dentistry is largely biology along with some chemistry. On the DAT, many small, random biology questions are asked and unless you have a very broad yet detailed knowledge of the subject, you may not do that well without extensive studying for this section of the DAT and all the underlying details. In addition, some of dentistry is involved in research. Biology I would think is also the best route for this aspect. In summary, take your science courses and do well no matter which major you choose. I wouldnt think you would be given preference bc you are a physics major or something like that...unless some school was really grasping to broaden their base.

ty....:)

Also, remember that lots of schools are beginning to mandate a new pre-requisite: biochemistry. Anatomy and Physiology is another "extra" course required at (so far) a few schools. It may be easier to work classes like these into your schedule if they're already required for your major.

Of course, I wish my school offered degrees in sciences other than the big three: biology, chemistry and physics.

choosing a biology major wont put u anywhere higher than others. if i wwere you, id choose some major that you like and is good at so you have more fun and get it over faster than the ones you dont like as much.

choosing a biology major wont put u anywhere higher than others. if i wwere you, id choose some major that you like and is good at so you have more fun and get it over faster than the ones you dont like as much.

I agree. Pick the major you'll enjoy and take bio related classes that actually matter for dschool prep.

But, if you can't decide, pick bio. Just do well so you get into dental school because bio won't get you many jobs.

It always makes me wonder 'why would someone not want to major in Biology if he or she wants to pursue their career in Dentistry which is deeply related to biology studies?' If somebody's not fond of biology, he or she, I think, must not like to study Dentistry. Don't you guys think so?

It always makes me wonder 'why would someone not want to major in Biology if he or she wants to pursue their career in Dentistry which is deeply related to biology studies?' If somebody's not fond of biology, he or she, I think, must not like to study Dentistry. Don't you guys think so?

dentistry is not all about biology, thats why u gotto dental school to learn about dentistry

i'm doing biomedical engineering... it's not so bad if you like math too :)
it wasn't very hard to fit in the pre-dental requirements either.
our curriculum also included physiology, which a lot of people seem to say is helpful... and supposedly tissue engineering is a good class to take for pre-dents. not taking that until next semester though... so not sure how it's helpful. i think you should just major in what you enjoy and love. :p

I agree with Wizzie. Pick a major you will enjoy and excel in. My undergrad degree is painting, and it certainly didn't keep me from getting into d school...

for those of you who picked non-science majors, did you take a bunch of science classes outside the pre-req's too? If you just took the minimum science requirements...woudln't you be less prepared for the DAT?

While it is true that you don't need a biology major to be prepared for dental school, I highly recommend it, or maybe a biochem major. You're not just going to be learning how to scrape off plaque or drill and fill. I feel that a biology major, with as much detail as possible on human anatomy and physiology as well as cell physio will give you a really good foundation that *will* give you an edge on the non-bio students, at least for the first year.

for those of you who picked non-science majors, did you take a bunch of science classes outside the pre-req's too? If you just took the minimum science requirements...woudln't you be less prepared for the DAT?
I took most of the requirements as a post-bacc. I took more than the minimum. I think it is almost a must to go beyond the traditional pre-reqs to be competitive.

My college degree was in classical guitar performance. And I still graduated from dental school and got the specialty of my choice.

Why major in the same thing twice?