What to do 1 month before MCAT? Done with content review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my content review, and have 1 month to go before my MCAT. My goal is to get a competitive score for MD schools.

How should I approach this final month? Should I skim over my content review books every day?

Should I do practice tests alternate days? When should I use my AAMC material- Now or 2 weeks before test day?

Any other recommendations for how to approach the final month?

Members don't see this ad.

Do as many questions as you can and go back over weak areas. The last two weeks do all the AAMC practice tests you can and review the answers. Read up on content areas that you missed questions on in the practice tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Do one full-length practice test a week under the same conditions as the real exam. Doing one every other day would probably cause burnout.

Members don't see this ad :)
do practice tests until your scores are consistent at the level that you want them to be.

Take tests on alternating days!
1. Take test in conditions similar to test day (i.e. same start time, quiet environment, etc.), when you're done with the test look at your score then go do something else for the day
2. Next day, review every question on your test including the ones you got right! Identify weak areas and do content review.
3. Repeat until test day

The more you want it the better you'll do, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Practice tests, practice tests, practice tests

agree with above advice. questions, questions questions. It goes without saying to go through every question after your exam to understand why you chose the wrong answer when you did and for questions you got right but guessed on ... what helped you make the right call.

good luck.

If you have finished content review, go ahead and take the AAMC full length. That way, you have enough time to address any weak spots on the FL.

Should I aim for an FL every alternate day? I have 6 total FL's and the AAMC question packs for the 2015 MCAT, but will be able to use my friend's old AAMC MCAT practice tests.

For the older AAMC tests, should I try for 2 a day? And if so, can I use all three sections while selectively ignoring the removed material (circular motion, etc), or would I be better off doing EK 1001 problems, or should I do both?

Do one full-length practice test a week under the same conditions as the real exam. Doing one every other day would probably cause burnout.
I did one of the old ones every day for the old test, but yeah, with a 7 hour test, definitely one every other day is max and potentially too much. And I felt the burnout a little to the end too.

Should I aim for an FL every alternate day? I have 6 total FL's and the AAMC question packs for the 2015 MCAT, but will be able to use my friend's old AAMC MCAT practice tests.

For the older AAMC tests, should I try for 2 a day? And if so, can I use all three sections while selectively ignoring the removed material (circular motion, etc), or would I be better off doing EK 1001 problems, or should I do both?
Two FL's in a day is a bit much in my opinion... 4 hours each, plus 3 hours review each means about 14 hour days. Possible... theoretically. Advisable... not at all.

1. Full lengths
2. Reading practice no matter how good you are
3. Read lists of topics and review those that still give you trouble
4. (optional) Inspiration, motivational, confidence boosting stuff like books and the right people

Members don't see this ad :)
I did one of the old ones every day for the old test, but yeah, with a 7 hour test, definitely one every other day is max and potentially too much. And I felt the burnout a little to the end too.

Two FL's in a day is a bit much in my opinion... 4 hours each, plus 3 hours review each means about 14 hour days. Possible... theoretically. Advisable... not at all.

I've decided to do one FL on alternate days. Do you recommend I review the test later on during the same day, or wait until the next day to review?

I don't think I'll come close to 3 hours reviewing a test. When I review, I just try to understand the solutions, see what I did wrong and reinforce the concept. Is there a surefire good approach to reviewing a FL?

Definitely review the next day, with a 7 hour test you're gonna be drained at the end each day. If it were me I'd take a test one day, Review the next and brush up on topics you'd struggle with, more practice the next day, and full length every third, but do what you're comfortable with.

Some people make spreadsheets of problems they missed and spend hours reviewing. I used a notebook, jotted down why I missed a problem and how I wouldn't miss a similar one again, double checked the ones I got right to see if I was confident in my thought process, that was about it.

two practice tests a week. Review every answer
Every non practice test and non test review day, do 23 passages (3 CARS, 4 Physics, 4 Bio, 4 Gen Chem, 4 Ochem, 4 Psych). Review every answer
On test review days, do 3 CARS and a few passages in a weak subject. Review every answer.
Find the TPR 2015 Science Workbook if you can.
Work on timing.

two practice tests a week. Review every answer
Every non practice test and non test review day, do 23 passages (3 CARS, 4 Physics, 4 Bio, 4 Gen Chem, 4 Ochem, 4 Psych). Review every answer
On test review days, do 3 CARS and a few passages in a weak subject. Review every answer.
Find the TPR 2015 Science Workbook if you can.
Work on timing.

I agree with this, but I would say you should probably do more Psych and Bio, and less Ochem. Remember Psych and Bio have their own sections. You substitute Ochem with Biochem if at all possible, and always look for research heavy passages.

I agree with this, but I would say you should probably do more Psych and Bio, and less Ochem. Remember Psych and Bio have their own sections. You substitute Ochem with Biochem if at all possible, and always look for research heavy passages.

Which is kind of sad, because I am one of the few that actually really liked Ochem.

And yeah, really understand the reasons you got things wrong (and right), and then select extra problems on similar topics.

Agree with this, just giving rough idea. In the TPR Science Workbook, I found all the OChem passages necessary and drawn towards biochem anyway.

I'd also suggest that the last two days before the test you don't do anything test related. Do something fun, but safe!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Full lengths
2. Reading practice no matter how good you are
3. Read lists of topics and review those that still give you trouble
4. (optional) Inspiration, motivational, confidence boosting stuff like books and the right people
:thumbup:

i can testify to that. it was not fun and ill thought out

I finished my content review, and have 1 month to go before my MCAT. My goal is to get a competitive score for MD schools.

How should I approach this final month? Should I skim over my content review books every day?

Should I do practice tests alternate days? When should I use my AAMC material- Now or 2 weeks before test day?

Any other recommendations for how to approach the final month?
Take a test every week. Don't listen to people who say alternate days bc they haven't taken the new 8 hr mcat. In between exams, just do a bunch of practice questions starting with weak areas