what to do about C pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cleavername

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so my third semsester of college ended a few months ago. i end up with a C in chem lab II and a C+ in bio I. i want to applyfor MD/DO schools when i am done which is in 2 years, should i retake those 2 classes? if not what should i be doing then?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh. I'm not so sure about retaking Chem lab II, I mean it's just a lab, and it won't increase your GPA that much even if you get an A (they will be averaged to a B). Now the Bio is another story. Personally, I would retake it, but then again I'm not a bio major so I have precious few bio classes to get grades in. As long as you show drastic improvement in your following bio classes (A's all the way, maybe an A- :p) you should be just fine. Keep in mind though that if you're applying DO as well, retaking this class will give your GPA a significant boost as opposed to applying MD and retaking the class (since they will replace your C with an A and not average it to a B like MD schools). Best of luck!

I was in a similar situation to you, I got a C+ in Gen Chem 2, Gen Physics 2, and Gen Chem Lab! all the rest of the pre-reqs were B+'s! I asked several admission people at various medical schools who said not to worry about it as LONG as there was a upward trend in your grades/GPA! luckily for me that was the case, I got mostly B+'s and A's in all my upper level bio courses during junior and senior year and took a couple of public health courses to broaden my application background!

as long as you have no D's and have a upward trend in your grades you should do fine; those grades didn't help me GPA though and I graduated with a 3.45 and if your grades are anywhere near that, you'll have to do a SMP, like I would have to do in order to be considered for allopathic school!

best of luck to you!

I was in a similar situation to you, I got a C+ in Gen Chem 2, Gen Physics 2, and Gen Chem Lab! all the rest of the pre-reqs were B+'s! I asked several admission people at various medical schools who said not to worry about it as LONG as there was a upward trend in your grades/GPA! luckily for me that was the case, I got mostly B+'s and A's in all my upper level bio courses during junior and senior year and took a couple of public health courses to broaden my application background!

as long as you have no D's and have a upward trend in your grades you should do fine; those grades didn't help me GPA though and I graduated with a 3.45 and if your grades are anywhere near that, you'll have to do a SMP, like I would have to do in order to be considered for allopathic school!

best of luck to you!

Were you accepted?

Im in the same boat. 3 C's in pre-reqs in my early years but junior and senior years (around 70 credits between the two years) I got all A's except for 3B's. Just dont make the C's consistent.