What to do after MS I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my first year right now and am considering EM as a possible specialty. Any of you EM people out there have any suggestions about what to do the summer between 1st and 2nd year of med school (work, research, travel, nothing, etc.)? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? please!

Speaking from recently finishing my ERAS app, you should definitely do SOMETHING!

Personally, I found a program I was interested, called them up, said I was interested in EM clinical (not bench) research, and they hooked me up with their research director. I worked my tail off, and had a blast hanging out in the ED, and got 3 oral presentations and a few publications from it.

It was very ironic to me when my fellow classmates would scoff at working on "the last vacation of your life!". But let me tell you, they are all kind of sweating it now when they get to "explain" on their ERAS app what they did for those 2 months in Europe, etc.
It all sounds fun, and travel would have been nice, but I had a great time myself, and if you pick a program away, you get travel to get there, now don't you!

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice to you: do something that makes you a better & more rounded person as well as doctor.

If you're a solid but not necessarily stellar student, you might want to consider taking that summer for a research opportunity to pad your CV. However it's been my experience with Emergency Medicine folks that they tend to enjoy their free time as much if not more than most - hiking, mountain biking, skiing, traveling, etc. - and are more likely to appreciate that you spent your time doing something interesting.

I've had friends that have taken that time to work on medical aid missions to South America, boy scout camps in New Mexico, back-pack in Europe or Asia, work as a bartender/bouncer - and they've all matched into good residencies & are doing well.

My personal time was split between 2 weeks hiking/camping in the Badlands & Black Hills of South Dakota, and 6 weeks at the Officer Indoctrination School for the Navy.

Another option is to grab some Kaplan books and study hard for Step 1. This will serve you well for 2nd year classes and a respectable score will certainly help further down the line, whatever specialty you decide to choose. Make sure you combine your studying with some play.

Go Play....

This is your last summer off. EVER!

I did some shadowing. But also went to Montana for 2 weeks, and hung out alot. Stay away from books, enjoy life. You will be spending enough time in the hospital as a 3rd and 4th year.

I worked for that summer as an ED tech. My friends all went backpacking in Europe and had a blast. I had a little more experience drawing blood, placing foleys, etc. and I had a few extra bucks to spend...Boy I sure wish I went to Europe with them...
My point is: DO SOMETHING FUN!!!!! It is your last summer off probably for the rest of your life...better enjoy it.
Mark

From an EM intern: Do something fun, try not to get arrested for it. If you can paint it as an educational experience, great - international health care, become an EMT for the prehospital experience, whatever. Master your domain for a month. Build an ark and sail to Cuba demanding asylum in a humidor.

So far, the difficulty of 1st year medical school has been matched only by internship. You now have the skills to make it through the rest of medical school. Celebrate. Your life will be less and less yours over the years to come, particularly after you graduate.

I can't remember any interviewer asking "So, what did you do with your summer between 1st and 2nd year? Oh. Sorry, we don't accept applicants who did that." EM likes people who do things.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

I was wondering about the samething when I caught a glance at this thread. So research or no research? clinically related research sounds like fun, what is it about?

Read Big Robbins Cover to Cover, then do it again. You'll score no less than a 230 on Step I.

;)

Normalforce

Originally posted by normalforce
Read Big Robbins Cover to Cover, then do it again. You'll score no less than a 230 on Step I.

;)

Normalforce

you don't need to read robbins.

Uhh..I didn't even BUY Robbins.

Most EM docs that I know have lots of other things going on in their life, like music, family, travel, sports, etc. I think they'll appreciate an applicant who took the last free summer that he/she had and had fun with it. That's what I did!