What to do in gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theeasymushroom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help deciding what to do during my gap year (likely two gap years).

I recently graduated from a solid school. I have a 3.796 cGPA and a 3.802 sGPA. My GPA has an upward trend as I had a 3.6ish GPA through my sophomore year and a 3.96 across my junior and senior years. I majored in Molecular and Cell Biology.

My MCAT was rather low at 501. I would strongly prefer an MD school and know I would have to retake to be more competitive.

I have a good amount of research experience. I've done a clinical research program one summer, worked in a kinesiology lab for about a year and a half (not really benchtop work), was an intern in a lab at an impressive institution (not trying to brag, just trying to paint an accurate picture) one summer, and did more clinical research throughout my senior year at another hospital.

I do lack clinical experience.

My question is, should I try to return to the impressive lab for the next two years or add clinical experience? The PI is great at putting techs on publications and is an awesome guy to work for. I also have an EMT cert but little experience so have had some trouble finding a job in a hospital setting.

The reason I'm hesitant to go back to research is because I don't want to be two years older with no clinical experience and having to wait another year for med school apps if I don't get in. At that point I think I'd rather try for some other health profession.

I know this is kinda long but I would appreciate all the help I could get! I've been torn making this decision for some time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need some help deciding what to do during my gap year (likely two gap years).

I recently graduated from a solid school. I have a 3.796 cGPA and a 3.802 sGPA. My GPA has an upward trend as I had a 3.6ish GPA through my sophomore year and a 3.96 across my junior and senior years. I majored in Molecular and Cell Biology.

My MCAT was rather low at 501. I would strongly prefer an MD school and know I would have to retake to be more competitive.

I have a good amount of research experience. I've done a clinical research program one summer, worked in a kinesiology lab for about a year and a half (not really benchtop work), was an intern in a lab at an impressive institution (not trying to brag, just trying to paint an accurate picture) one summer, and did more clinical research throughout my senior year at another hospital.

I do lack clinical experience.

My question is, should I try to return to the impressive lab for the next two years or add clinical experience? The PI is great at putting techs on publications and is an awesome guy to work for. I also have an EMT cert but little experience so have had some trouble finding a job in a hospital setting.

The reason I'm hesitant to go back to research is because I don't want to be two years older with no clinical experience and having to wait another year for med school apps if I don't get in. At that point I think I'd rather try for some other health profession.

I know this is kinda long but I would appreciate all the help I could get! I've been torn making this decision for some time!
IMO go for the clinical... you need it

Thanks for the input. I was also thinking about doing research and volunteering as an EMT on weekends

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you not get clinical experience while working in the lab? I am not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive.

The research job would be full-time. I just don't think I would be able to handle that, retaking the MCAT, and trying to get clinical/volunteer/shadowing done along with it. Also if I don't get in after two years I'd just want to do something that takes less time. Possibly PA school which would require anywhere from 500-2500+ hours of direct experience

I would say your primary focus should be retaking the MCAT. Supplement that with whatever will be the least distracting EC. Maybe do that during your first gap year, and if your retake score is high enough, then use your second gap year to fill in whichever EC you feel you're lacking most in.

Work in the lab FT and then do a couple of clinical volunteering gigs on the side. I decided to do research as well despite having a very low number of clinical hours and thousands of hours of research. I was able to accumulate a few hundred clinical volunteering hours from a few volunteering positions by the time I applied and it worked out fine for me! You have to be open to many different kinds of clinical experiences at inconvenient hours and not focus on hospital positions.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem to have enough research.

Insufficient clinical experience can tank your app regardless of next MCAT.

@Gibbward can I ask for a few examples of where else I should be looking? Also what kind of stuff did you do in your volunteer work?

@Gibbward can I ask for a few examples of where else I should be looking? Also what kind of stuff did you do in your volunteer work?
I would just try to be involved in any sort of activity that will get you in contact with people with health needs. So contact nursing homes or assisted living facilities, hospice, suicide prevention hotlines, community centers for the homeless, centers for women's health/LGBTQ health, etc. Do a combination of those things and you should get enough meaningful experiences. I personally did 3 different things from that list.