What to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a senior at a mediocre private university graduating with a low gpa 3.4 (sgpa 3.3) in bs of chem
I was a major slacker that suddenly grew interested in the med field after no real life goal until then.
Struggled with changing myself to become less lazy and spent a whole quarter learning how to actually study/not skip class/cram everything
and got a mediocre gpa (3.5) but after that, I earned 4.0 for 3 quarters straight. As you can tell, my gpa pre junior year was
very very low (in the 2's)... I'm wondering what I should do from here. I know 3.3 will not get me very far
especially considering that many of my early pre health (physics, intro bio courses, chem courses) were low.
I did re take gen bio courses at a local city college my junior year summer and received all A's.

So far in terms of resume, I've done research with one professor in chemistry and moved to a different PI in biology sophomore year
I did consistent research for all my summers so far. I took the mcat right when I got the inspiration to go into premed oct. 2013
and did horrible (didn't know how to study yet) and got a 26, retook it october 2014 and just received a 38 (13 ps, 13 bs, 12w).
I've done tutoring on and off to underprivileged children in a shelter nearby my college and spent one summer shadowing a doctor.
I also did volunteer for one whole year at a local hospital. In terms of EC's fairly unremarkable (ballet, intramural sports...)

The question:
Where do I go from here to recover from my bad undergrad gpa? About to graduate at end of year with a major in chemistry (and perhaps biology) Post bac? take all courses in community college to get my gpa up? MS?
Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm a senior at a mediocre private university graduating with a low gpa 3.4 (sgpa 3.3) in bs of chem
I was a major slacker that suddenly grew interested in the med field after no real life goal until then.
Struggled with changing myself to become less lazy and spent a whole quarter learning how to actually study/not skip class/cram everything
and got a mediocre gpa (3.5) but after that, I earned 4.0 for 3 quarters straight. As you can tell, my gpa pre junior year was
very very low (in the 2's)... I'm wondering what I should do from here. I know 3.3 will not get me very far
especially considering that many of my early pre health (physics, intro bio courses, chem courses) were low.
I did re take gen bio courses at a local city college my junior year summer and received all A's.

So far in terms of resume, I've done research with one professor in chemistry and moved to a different PI in biology sophomore year
I did consistent research for all my summers so far. I took the mcat right when I got the inspiration to go into premed oct. 2013
and did horrible (didn't know how to study yet) and got a 26, retook it october 2014 and just received a 38 (13 ps, 13 bs, 12w).
I've done tutoring on and off to underprivileged children in a shelter nearby my college and spent one summer shadowing a doctor.
I also did volunteer for one whole year at a local hospital. In terms of EC's fairly unremarkable (ballet, intramural sports...)

The question:
Where do I go from here to recover from my bad undergrad gpa? About to graduate at end of year with a major in chemistry (and perhaps biology) Post bac? take all courses in community college to get my gpa up? MS?
Thanks guys.

Is your AMCAS GPA 3.4? If so, and you have a 38 MCAT on the realz, then you're fine bro. Apply broadly and gain multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Specifically, post in the "What Are My Chances?" sub forum in pre-allo. There's two or three people there who are eminently qualified to give you some direction.

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to the WAMC forum.

If a thread is out of place, feel free to report it and a moderator will move it. It is against TOS to cross-post.

A steep upward trend and a 38 should get you some interviews. There are schools that value reinvention.

Taking an extra semester or two of upper div science through a university would not only improve your GPA, but allow you to fill out your application a bit more. If you want the best shot possible and this is an option, gogo! If not you would probably get in to at least 1 school based on your stats.

Taking an extra semester or two of upper div science through a university would not only improve your GPA, but allow you to fill out your application a bit more. If you want the best shot possible and this is an option, gogo! If not you would probably get in to at least 1 school based on your stats.

If you apply MD and DO, you'll get in somewhere. Alternatively, do a post-bacc and make sure to do well. I'd personally do the former and not the latter...

If you apply MD and DO, you'll get in somewhere. Alternatively, do a post-bacc and make sure to do well. I'd personally do the former and not the latter...

Same. In the end you're gunna be Dr. X regardless, so if you aren't picky about where you go then I say this year is looking good.

Is your AMCAS GPA 3.4? If so, and you have a 38 MCAT on the realz, then you're fine bro. Apply broadly and gain multiple acceptances.

Agreed. A 3.4 and 38, along with solid ECs, should open many, many doors. No need for any post-bacc work, and stay light years away from SMPs.