What to expect on test day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor told me the following so i just wanted to pass it on. Expect delays, people forgetting their IDs, people freaking out, crying, might not be the most silent test conditions.

So be ready to perform no matter what. i Haven't decided how i'm going to get myself riled up for this exam yet...but just be ready.

Members don't see this ad.

8am to 5pm rite?

If the test starts at 8am, what time does the exact PS section begin? anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Figure it will take at least an hour to get everyone checked in and fingerprinted. THen they have to coun the books and grids and pass them out. THe PS will start sometime around 9:15-9:30. And Just as a side note I didn't get out of my test until almost 6:15.

I just heard something very disconcerting. At some test centers, the proctors TALK during the exam to each other! Someone I know had been getting 36-37 on practice exams, but is retaking it in April because of noisy proctors during the verbal section (she got an 8). I know it's silly to worry about this, but it is really bugging me.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
I just heard something very disconcerting. At some test centers, the proctors TALK during the exam to each other! Someone I know had been getting 36-37 on practice exams, but is retaking it in April because of noisy proctors during the verbal section (she got an 8). I know it's silly to worry about this, but it is really bugging me.

during my last exam, i had an aisle seat and one proctor kept on walking back and forth...back and forth. Ughh, it was soooo annoying, i couldn't concentrate on verbal. yeah, so just hope for good proctors.

is it assigned seating?

how many forms w/ different questions are there?

from my experience, no. you line up outside and once you're signed in, they tell you where to sit but it's not exactly assigned.

I had to retake the ACT because of noisy proctors. Bastards... they were a guy and a girl (~21 yrs old) who flirted back and fourth throughout the whole test and of course i sat in the front row. At one point they even bumped in to me. Luckly, I was not the only one to complain and I was able to take it over for free.

dont be surprised if someone does wig out and cries, runs out etc. just remember that such a person came in with no prep- they're not you and there's no reason (short of you being an uber-gunner and wanting their low score to drag down the cruve a tiny bit) you should worry or be upset by this. you prepared, get ready to reap the rewards.

During my mcat, we had some proctors walk in and out repeatedly letting the door slam during the most difficult verbal section I had ever seen. One girl cried because it was so ridiculous, and another cancelled during it and let the door slam as she stomped out. During lunch I had some words with one of the proctors to stop letting the door slam...she relayed it to the other proctors, but the damage was already done...and it's not like you really need super concentration on the writing and bio as much as with verbal.

Originally posted by MrTee
During my mcat, we had some proctors walk in and out repeatedly letting the door slam during the most difficult verbal section I had ever seen. One girl cried because it was so ridiculous, and another cancelled during it and let the door slam as she stomped out. During lunch I had some words with one of the proctors to stop letting the door slam...she relayed it to the other proctors, but the damage was already done...and it's not like you really need super concentration on the writing and bio as much as with verbal.

Gosh, that makes me sick to my stomach. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm praying that it won't happen to me! On a more positive note, I have heard that UCLA, my testing center, is really strict. Maybe that is a good thing.

Gosh, that makes me sick to my stomach. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm praying that it won't happen to me! On a more positive note, I have heard that UCLA, my testing center, is really strict. Maybe that is a good thing.

ucla, especially if you're used to the smaller desks (lecture hall type) is great. those who've already spent endless hours in CS50 usually love taking in there

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by R_C_Hutchinson
ucla, especially if you're used to the smaller desks (lecture hall type) is great. those who've already spent endless hours in CS50 usually love taking in there

Awesome. That's my room (or it might be CS76). Thanks! :)

do they give out 3 different test books and 3 answer grids for each section?

jhk, yes. I think they pass out the specific test section during the appropriate time, and it's sealed or something. Then they collect the scantron for each section at the end of the alloted time.

if youre given a 10 minute break btw sections, how long is the actual break?

10 minutes! and don't be late

At my writing center (in Canada) they were soooo strict. This was good because we didn't have any of the horrid disturbances that others mentioned. But they counted every page of every testbook after each section before we were allowed to leave for our 10 minute break...

tip: go to your center a day or 2 early and scope out the bathroom locations then pick a bathroom that is out of the way (to avoid the line-up)... then you can pee and still have enough time to eat a cookie or something.

I just took 7R in my actual testing room, so hopefully I will feel more comfortable in it next week! Plus, I've taken a billion chem exams in there. ;)

I heard of a kid talking it with my kaplan teacher took physical sciences and verbal and then went outside threw his watch on the floor until it broke and walked off without all his stuff and didn't come back. Man if I was leaving I'd take my stuff. But yeah be ready for psyco's!

Expect nothing and just RELAX... NO DISTRACTIONS WILL EVER PHASE ME!!! muhaha.. Well cuz I plan on hiring several homeless guys to run into the room naked screaming at each section :smuggrin: . :laugh:

Prepare for the people in front of you to loudly exclaim how easy the last section was during the break.

make sure you use the bathroom every chance you get... you'd be surprise at how often you really need to go under stressful conditions.

My biggest test day fears were 1) I'd blank completely on the actual MCAT, regardless of my practice tests, or 2) I'd end up sitting next to some gum-chewing, foot-tapping, spit-swallowing, heavy-breathing annoying mofo. Fortunately, I didn't blank on test day (rather, I put on my best best performance because of all the adrenaline), and I chose where I sat extremely carefully. Test day fears can be worked around. Most just turn out to be trivial thought processes your nervous brain is thinking up anyway. Good luck guys, you're almost there! :clap:

anyone who attempts to distract me on test day will feel the wrath of the raDiOnut....*evil laugh*....

dude, Phil mickelson is my hero. did you see him on sunday? KAHUNAS. From the 14th hole, he just had this big kool-aid smile cuz he KNEW he was gonna win. MCAT MCAT MCAT

Turn ur timer on for lunch so ur not late, and dont eat lunch in the building, and dont go to far. Better to pack or get lunch and eat it in the car if u parked close.

Is the room# of the test on the AAMC website? My ticket only has the building and not the room number. Unfortunately, the building is 7 stories and has lots of rooms.

I assume it will be obvious which room on test day, but I like knowing ahead of time.