What to wear to shadow ER physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Business Casual shadowing in the ER or Scrubs?

• Total voters

rolltidedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be shadowing an ER physician for an extended period of time. I was wondering what do you recommend wearing? I will obviously consult the doctor before showing up in any kind of attire first, but wanted to hear all of your opinions as well out of curiosity. I would think business casual however the ER is a messy place, even though I am just shadowing, I imagine it is still possible to get messy from a distance. So, I am on the border between business casual and scrubs. What are your thoughts?

Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
005-scrubs-theredlist.jpg

edit: damn, that's kinda big. anyway, you get the point.

005-scrubs-theredlist.jpg

edit: damn, that's kinda big. anyway, you get the point.
Hahaha! I thought to myself when I saw this: "Hmm, I guess that means scrubs." Very cool picture though none the less.

One of the best things about EM is the ability to wear pajamas...I mean scrubs...to work every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I will be shadowing an ER physician for an extended period of time. I was wondering what do you recommend wearing? I will obviously consult the doctor before showing up in any kind of attire first, but wanted to hear all of your opinions as well out of curiosity. I would think business casual however the ER is a messy place, even though I am just shadowing, I imagine it is still possible to get messy from a distance. So, I am on the border between business casual and scrubs. What are your thoughts?

Nicole

Although my vote is also for scrubs, the best answer would be to ask the doc you're shadowing what their institution's expectations are for people in your position.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Trust me, I love scrubs as much as the next guy, but I would do professional clothes unless told otherwise. Doesn't hurt to overdress if your trying to impress. And if your just shadowing, it is highly unlikely you will make a mess of your clothes.

ER doc here. Prof attire is what I'd want.
Please refer to it as ED (department) or emergency medicine. I don't care but some do. Have fun, you'll be in for a ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Professional attire you don't care much about then! Haha definitely wear comfy shoes.

I had some shadow shifts (not in hs but still was just a shadow) that I got dirty during, can't help that the patient was spurting blood (I wore ppe so it was fine, def put them on when everyone else is)

Dress slacks and dress shirt (maybe polo if you're in Cali or somewhere else super laid back). You're an observer, not a healthcare professional, look sharp. Every undergrad student I've had come through the ED is in slacks and dress shirt. You won't be getting dirty as you probably aren't allowed to do anything other than watch.

A tutu... And a sombrero

A tutu... And a sombrero
You forgot the thick, bushy, black mustache -- the sombrero is optional but it's either that or Mickey Mouse ears -- be sure to learn the lead guitar chords for "Earache My Eye" by Cheech and Chong ---

My mama talkin' to me tryin' to tell me how to live....
but I don't listen to her cause my head is a like a sieve...
my daddy he disowned me cause I wear my sisters clothes...
he caught me in the bathroom with a pair of pantyhose....

you get the idea....

Hello all,

Nicole

Ask. Usually people at my place show up in business casual.

She got the answer right in her own question. Call the doctor your shadowing and ask him or her what they think you should wear. After all, this is the person she's going to be asking for a letter of recommendation.

Although I have to say, I like Angry Birds suggestion. Would provide awesome shift entertainment.

You forgot the thick, bushy, black mustache -- the sombrero is optional but it's either that or Mickey Mouse ears -- be sure to learn the lead guitar chords for "Earache My Eye" by Cheech and Chong ---

My mama talkin' to me tryin' to tell me how to live....
but I don't listen to her cause my head is a like a sieve...
my daddy he disowned me cause I wear my sisters clothes...
he caught me in the bathroom with a pair of pantyhose....

you get the idea....
This is so inspirational! Thanks!!! :)

0430792715_10528022_8col.jpg

Here's the latest class that shadowed me.

-Dr. Gallagher.

Hello all,

Nicole

Ask.

Why do you not like scrubs? Are you a communist?
Dress nice, get respect. Simple as that. Nobody complains about the guy in tie. That jackass wearing the same thing all the nurses are wearing? He was wrong!

Not scrubs. Why the hell do you even own scrubs? Business attire with comfortable shoes.

Also, might want to make your SDN account a little more anonymous (or a lot more).