SpottyGlassware

2+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll be observing an eye surgery tomorrow morning. It'll be my first time in the OR, so I'm not really sure what to expect, other than the basic "Stay out of the way and don't lock your knees." I'm guessing that I'll be changing into hospital-provided scrubs before the procedure, but I know that I'll have contact with the doctor I'm shadowing before that.

My dilemma for preparing to meet the doctor beforehand is this: I don't want to wear my very best professional outfit because I'll be changing clothes anyway, but I don't want to look like a slob, either. I'm thinking dark jeans and a decent-looking top, along with the tennis shoes I'll wear on the surgical floor. I'll braid my hair or put it up so that it's out of the way and easy to tuck into a cap/hairnet. Does this sound okay? (I'm a girl...)

Also: Is it better to wear glasses or contacts? Does it matter?

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
glasses would be better so you already have comfortable eye protection on, but only if they are big enough to do the job

do you have pants that are not jeans? slacks? corduroys? khakis? I really urge you to do this, especially as I see the need to wear tennies but not jeans is usually the expected standard and will "dress up" the necessary shoes

you will be putting your hair up in a bouffant cap, you can google it, so be sure whatever hairstyle you pick can easily tuck up into it, some french braids it wouldn't be very easy

don't touch ANYTHING blue!! like don't even get within 6 inches unless you're ushered to get that close

if you scrub in, keeps your hands between your shoulders and waist, like a T Rex

come up with a few questions about what you see in case he asks you if you have questions after

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I say go with business casual, whatever that is for a girl because I honestly have no clue. I wouldn't worry too much about being queasy because with eye surgery you most likely won't be able to see much. I will say that I have seen an OMFS guy pass out when the plastic surgeon he was working with stuck a needle in the pt's eye... The story is legendary. Be prepared for eye poking, but other than that eye surgery is fairly boring IMO. It's hard to see lasers cutting ultra thin membranes.

Edit: I do concur that a big breakfast will help if you are nervous at all.

OP
SpottyGlassware

SpottyGlassware

2+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you! I'm going to try either my black slacks or some other black pants with the necessary shoes. Unfortunately, I don't own khakis or corduroys. :(

Sea Otter

5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2013
Over Yonder
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You don't really need eye protection for an eye surgery so contacts vs glasses is up to you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
Thank you! I'm going to try either my black slacks or some other black pants with the necessary shoes. Unfortunately, I don't own khakis or corduroys. :(
black slacks 100% appropriate

since you asked about jeans I listed other acceptable alternatives I thought a premed might be likely to have

you can never do jeans in a clinical setting, OK?

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You'll be changing into scrubs for the procedure, but there may be an opportunity to see the patient beforehand when you are not yet changed into scrubs. Thus, you should dress professionally (like you would to work; not quite as formally as for an interview). For guys that would be button up shirt, slacks, long socks, and (because you're going into the OR), clean, conservative (i.e not neon green) athletic shoes are fine. I'm not sure what the female equivalent to that is, but I would avoid wearing jeans or shorts. Remember, even if you're just observing, to the patient, it looks like you're part of the healthcare team, and thus you need to represent yourself professionally before you change into scrubs. Putting your hair up so that it can go into a bouffant or a scrub cap is necessary but shouldn't be an issue (you can fit a lot of hair into a bouffant).

As someone who has worn both contacts and glasses into the OR, I personally prefer glasses, but I know other who prefer contacts. If you're wearing glasses, take care that they don't fall off (though this really shouldn't be an issue, even if you get really sweaty, unless you're leaning directly over the field, which you shouldn't be anyway).

If you're not scrubbing in (i.e. becoming totally sterile from your hips to your shoulders), you'll want to wear a t-shirt under your scrubs because it can get very cold in the OR. If you are scrubbing in, don't wear a t-shirt because you'll be wearing a somewhat heavy gown + two layers of gloves and it gets very hot under the OR lights. If you're not sure, wear the t-shirt and ask the surgeon beforehand whether or not you'll be scrubbing in, then make the decision whether to wear the t-shirt or not before you change. Chances are that you won't be scrubbing in, but you never know.

Reactions: Crayola227