what was i thinking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tunn3lVision

Jack's Raging Ambition
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
during an interview for a summer program that i'm applying to, one of the questions was "if you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be?"

I was taking a second to answer, and in my head I was thinking how stupid it would be if i answered "hitler"-

before i knew it i'd blurted out Hitler :scared:

do you think i'd get a bad eval. based on that answer?

Members don't see this ad.

during an interview for a summer program that i'm applying to, one of the questions was "if you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be?"

I was taking a second to answer, and in my head I was thinking how stupid it would be if i answered "hitler"-

if it was a summer no-nazi 101 program, then no.

Depends on what your reasoning for wanting to dine with him would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
They didn't ask you to justify why? You could always spin it interestingly... but that's a pretty .. um, unique, answer.

I don't think it's unique. I've given the same answer to that question before, but was allowed to explain my reasoning: I'm a believer in that if we simply try to write people such as Hitler off as monsters, that we are doing a disservice to ourselves and leave ourselves open to being preyed upon by a similar predatory person in the future. You have to get to know what they are like as a person to understand their motivations and their origins otherwise you will never see the next one coming until it is too late.

well i was shocked at what i'd said lol

the reason i gave was that it'd be interesting to find out what his motivation was for commiting all those crimes against humanity.

yeah i know, its a stupid reason:( but i just couldn't believe what'd come out of my mouth

Everyone knows you're supposed to say Jesus. Or Einstein.
(Adaptation, anyone?)
Actually, I'd give you props for being original. How did you explain it?

I really don't see that as a bad answer! So stop worrying!! ;)

You should have said "You; at that fancy restaurant downtown, after this interview."

But Hitler is a good answer. Just because he was not the most savory of individuals doesn't mean it wouldn't be very interesting to pick his brain over some lamb chops.

You should have said "You; at that fancy restaurant downtown, after this interview."

But Hitler is a good answer. Just because he was not the most savory of individuals doesn't mean it wouldn't be very interesting to pick his brain over some lamb chops.

Which would be much better than picking his chops over some brains.

Yup, agreed. :thumbup: Don't beat yourself up over this one, OP, because I'm sure the interviewer thought you had a (slightly morbid, but certainly understandable) curiosity about the origin of evil- as opposed to thinking that you were a psychopath. That is, unless you then proceeded to salute with your extended right arm and shout "Seig Heil!"

Oh yeah, and extra points if you clicked your heels together after the interview. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully this wasn't an interview for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva University). They may not take a keen interest in your dinner plans with Hitler.

Yup, agreed. :thumbup: Don't beat yourself up over this one, OP, because I'm sure the interviewer thought you had a (slightly morbid, but certainly understandable) curiosity about the origin of evil- as opposed to thinking that you were a psychopath. That is, unless you then proceeded to salute with your extended right arm and shout "Seig Heil!"

Oh yeah, and extra points if you clicked your heels together after the interview. :laugh:
And an immediate acceptance if you can goosestep properly. :laugh:

At least you didn't say "Sarte" or that idiot Ghandi.

Honestly, don't worry about it. I am Jewish and I would personally love to have dinner with Hitler. Assuming he spoke english it would be interesting to hear his logic.

I would chauk up a rejection. Sorry. But picking one of the most monstrous and significant signs of evil to have a dinner and conversation....says something about you as a person. SO dont be surprised when it comes to you.Sorry.

But picking one of the most monstrous and significant signs of evil to have a dinner and conversation....says something about you as a person.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. Like the OP said, he didn't mean to say it, he just thinking to himself, "what if I said Hitler?" and then just blurted it out. It's almost as if it were an accident. So I don't think that this says anything about the OP as a person.

Now if he were to sit down and think about it for a while, and then still come up with the same answer, you might be able to make that assumption.

I would chauk up a rejection. Sorry. But picking one of the most monstrous and significant signs of evil to have a dinner and conversation....says something about you as a person. SO dont be surprised when it comes to you.Sorry.
cookie4_640.jpg

Could you be any more of a clueless jerk? Especially given the poor grammar and spelling of your post? :laugh:

cookie4_640.jpg

Could you be any more of a clueless jerk? Especially given the poor grammar and spelling of your post? :laugh:

But he's not only cookie monster anymore. He likes veggies. Cookies are a "sometimes" food.

:laugh:

thanks everyone, i guess i was over thinking it

I think it's not a disaster IF you can come up with some reason for your choice (e.g., as suggested above, something about wanting to understand the nature of evil, or whatever). At least your answer's different. How many times do you think they hear Jesus, Gandhi, Einstein, etc.? I think one of the most important things you can accomplish in an interview is to avoid sounding like just like every other applicant.

In any case, don't sweat it. What's done is done. :)

i thought that hitler was a vegetarian.
He was.....in fact he is known to have made fun of Goering (who enjoyed hunting) with a statement to the effect of "a pig eating his own kind"

It's funny that Hitler was a health "fanatic" in a strange sense; Weird diet and tons of injections to improve his health, and a Kosher diet is probably one of the healthiest ways to eat.

I was asked who I would eat with and I said Babe Ruth. I'm a fanatic Yankee fan though. I said I would ask whether or not he called his shot in 1932, then never tell anyone else regardless of the answer.

maybe ironic is the right word instead of funny

Everyone knows you're supposed to say Jesus. Or Einstein.
(Adaptation, anyone?)
Actually, I'd give you props for being original. How did you explain it?

I would say Rosalind Franklin so I could ask her 1. Why I have not received an invite yet 2. Why she thought it was a good idea to get zapped by x-rays all day long 3. Whether she thought Watson or Crick was more handsome.

Id like to meet the guy(s) who thought it was a good idea to research, record and name any pathway that students today have to study in biochemistry :laugh:

I think id like to talk to the guy who dropped the first atomic bomb. The instant that bomber pressed the release button was the second that our world forever changed. Itd be interesting to see how he's dealt with the repercussions of following presidential orders to both end the war and to start another scarier one.