What was your GPA when you got into Caribbean Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

ImmortalPain-

Hey Folks!

Random question for all of you that are so kind to share.

Don't have to give MCAT score or EC's.

But what GPA did you have at the time when you got accepted into a Caribbean Medical School and which school?
Only asking to see the variety in the GPA's :)

Members don't see this ad.

5.6 gpa and still got rejected from Ross :(

Reactions: 1 user
Lets get some real replies lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently at SGU- 3.6 science gpa (masters), 3.1 undergrad science gpa.

Reactions: 1 users
Attending Saba. Undergrad was < 3.0 overall GPA. Even had a few D's for core science courses

Attending Saba. Undergrad was < 3.0 overall GPA. Even had a few D's for core science courses

How is your current SABA experience? What did you scored in your MCAT? I liked the presentation they gave at SFU. ALso met a doctor here in FL that graduated in 2007 and works in the path I will like to follow. Emergency medicine and Executive Protection companies.
I really want to attend school overseas, just part of my experience and my goal is to work internationally or part of a contractor team overseas. Saw that SABA has a class starting in May, and maybe I could forgo all the bs from the US medical school application process, and start the journey. AMCAS 3.4 and AMCAS Science 3.70 (due to bad grades 10+ yrs ago while serving in the military), now I have a 3.97 GPA in my Biomedical Program and currently studying for the MCAT. Will love to hear people's journey that are in SABA.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

How is your current SABA experience? What did you scored in your MCAT? I liked the presentation they gave at SFU. ALso met a doctor here in FL that graduated in 2007 and works in the path I will like to follow. Emergency medicine and Executive Protection companies.
I really want to attend school overseas, just part of my experience and my goal is to work internationally or part of a contractor team overseas. Saw that SABA has a class starting in May, and maybe I could forgo all the bs from the US medical school application process, and start the journey. AMCAS 3.4 and AMCAS Science 3.70 (due to bad grades 10+ yrs ago while serving in the military), now I have a 3.97 GPA in my Biomedical Program and currently studying for the MCAT. Will love to hear people's journey that are in SABA.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Boy if you apply to Saba with a 3.7 science gpa I will personally come to your house and smack the **** outta you

Reactions: 9 users

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Is this a troll? lol

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
3.7 amcas science gpa and 3.97 biomed (assuming post bacc or masters) along with a solid 500+ will open doors to US schools. Definitely avoid saba if your stats are that high- aim for SGU if anything, but no need to apply carib if your stats are that high, plus being a vet and life experience, etc. Apply MD/DO first, depending on your MCAT.

I really want to attend school overseas, just part of my experience

Going to a resource poor rock in the caribbean with other Americans is not an "overseas experience". Of all reasons, this is the worst reason to go and is romanticizing it and rationalizing it, and the biggest cop out of a reason. You want as many resources as possible to be successful. If you REALLY wanted an overseas experience go to medical school in Ireland or Australia or to Oxford or Cambridge or Edinburgh or better yet work in another country after you finish your U.S. residency which is your number one goal going anywhere. Remember, graduating from med school is not the end game, its getting a residency so you can work- Which is more difficult if you decide to become an IMG.

Keep in mind that EM is quite popular and thus competitive these days so you would be at a disadvantage applying for EM residency.

As someone with good stats, you should first try 1-2x to get in stateside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Going to a resource poor rock in the caribbean with other Americans is not an "overseas experience".

UHHH yeah it is...and you sound super pretentious. Going to a developing country to learn medicine is one of the hardest, most challenging and potentially most rewarding things a future doc could possibly do. Those kids work harder and smarter than most american med students.

Get outside of your western developed bubble and go live a life that doesn't revolve around starbucks and walmart.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
UHHH yeah it is...and you sound super pretentious. Going to a developing country to learn medicine is one of the hardest, most challenging and potentially most rewarding things a future doc could possibly do. Those kids work harder and smarter than most american med students.

Get outside of your western developed bubble and go live a life that doesn't revolve around starbucks and walmart.

Um. I'm sure spending a majority of your time walking between the classroom and your dorm everyday self studying basic sciences on an isolated resort island and/or SABA with a bunch of other American students is really life altering and shattering. There is no doubt you work harder though. The fact that OP thinks this is a viable option and reason to forego U.S. med school for is a rationalization as you should do everything you can to make yourself the best applicant for your job market aka residency because otherwise med school is just an expensive piece of paper. I would have no problems if he had said he had tried applying stateside, didn't get in, and this was his only shot at getting a chance to practice medicine. That would be a better reason. And this is coming from someone who is nitpicking his reason to go- i.e. in his own words too lazy to deal with the U.S. application process-- meanwhile the medical journey has no shortcuts because of the lengthy training time.

Also don't make assumptions about me because I can guarantee I have spent more time abroad than you. Months at a time living in various developing countries doing research and with clinical medicine experience in some extremely remote areas. I definitely don't need a lecture about living in a "bubble" because thats very far from my experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also don't make assumptions about me because I can guarantee I have spent more time abroad than you. Months at a time living in various developing countries doing research and with clinical medicine experience in some extremely remote areas. I definitely don't need a lecture about living in a "bubble" because thats very far from my experience.

WOW YOU LIVED ENTIRE MONTHS ABROAD?!?

WOW YOU LIVED ENTIRE MONTHS ABROAD?!?

Yea. Actually 2 years abroad for basic sciences which I didn't even think about mentioning to you since it was a western country, but a few months at a time here and there in the developing world a few times.

Still don't think studying basic sciences on a resort island in the Caribbean is life altering, just more so making life difficult for oneself unnecessarily especially since the reason OP gives is wanting a "life altering international experience". If he wants to practice "international medicine" he can do so after residency in the U.S.

I will really look at other countries like you recommended. I just saw that the VA have reps and counselors for schools outside the USA. Since I am in my second career, I am not looking to work in a hospital after residency. Planning to volunteer overseas or do contract jobs. Appreciate your input.

Boy if you apply to Saba with a 3.7 science gpa I will personally come to your house and smack the **** outta you

You sounded like my Team Sergeant when I served with the Army Rangers!!! But again later in my career I out performed him and became an Officer, so going against the grain is in my genes!
Thanks for the motivation!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That’s the vision, getting out of the same bs mentality.

I love the USA, I have bled and sacrifice everything for my country and family. At the same time we have to be open minded and appreciate the World. Why everyone here thinks that only in America we create great doctors? What about India? Spain? Japan? China? Costa Rica? Argentina? Etc...
If you are going to succeed in anything you find a way. I am not restricting myself to some SDN, LizzyM, AMMC, standards and values. I understand them, and will use them as a tool, but I am shooting for something different. Looking forward to see how this leg of the journey turns out.

Um. I'm sure spending a majority of your time walking between the classroom and your dorm everyday self studying basic sciences on an isolated resort island and/or SABA with a bunch of other American students is really life altering and shattering. There is no doubt you work harder though. The fact that OP thinks this is a viable option and reason to forego U.S. med school for is a rationalization as you should do everything you can to make yourself the best applicant for your job market aka residency because otherwise med school is just an expensive piece of paper. I would have no problems if he had said he had tried applying stateside, didn't get in, and this was his only shot at getting a chance to practice medicine. That would be a better reason. And this is coming from someone who is nitpicking his reason to go- i.e. in his own words too lazy to deal with the U.S. application process-- meanwhile the medical journey has no shortcuts because of the lengthy training time.

Just had to laugh. TOO LAZY to properly answer!

Just had to laugh. TOO LAZY to properly answer!

I respect all you have done. My father served as well. Thank you for your service!

But, I do believe you have exceptional grades and that you would greatly benefit from doing medical school in the states. There are numerous who would accept someone like you (outside of your stats alone) with your skill set/experience. Personally my grades are awful and I dont have as great of a resume as you I'm sure. Just kind of strange seeing someone with way higher scores apply to carrib.. typically people go carrib due to poor records

I respect all you have done. My father served as well. Thank you for your service!

But, I do believe you have exceptional grades and that you would greatly benefit from doing medical school in the states. There are numerous who would accept someone like you (outside of your stats alone) with your skill set/experience. Personally my grades are awful and I dont have as great of a resume as you I'm sure. Just kind of strange seeing someone with way higher scores apply to carrib.. typically people go carrib due to poor records

I got you. I think anyone who has the skills and drive to succeed will do it at any medical school. I am just closing my knowledge gap about options outside the USA. I will never judge or downgrade someones journey, because at the end of the day is how they perform when the **** hits the fan. Even if the "**** hitting the fan" is a kid with a flu in a primary care clinic. Time, opportunity, and preparation are the great equalizer, we cannot bull**** results.

"Strive for perfection, achieve excellence."

I am just closing my knowledge gap about options outside the USA.

Almost 17 years ago (jeez... that's a heady thought for me) I started this journey at Ross in Dominica, which is decidedly a third-world Caribbean country recently devastated in a major hurricane displacing the campus (temporarily) back to the U.S. In that time frame, literally dozens of new medical schools and/or campuses at existing ones - both M.D. and D.O. granting - have opened. I had far less options than you do now.

When I was in your shoes, I was also a non-traditional student. I'd had a career already. It was a second opportunity for me in my early thirties regarding what to do with the rest of my life. And, yes, I thought the AMCAS requirements and waiting to go through that process was daunting. I couldn't wait another year with the prospects, given my insurmountable academic past and the much higher competitive climate at the time, that I would likely still end-up where I ended-up.

The regulatory problems going abroad are a mild hassle. Mostly, they occur when you're starting out and first getting your license. But that ECFMG scarlet letter will follow you the rest of your career. Every time I apply for privileges or change jobs (which I'm going through now), the paperwork mountain follows me.

You will not leave your mark on whatever country you wind up doing your foreign medical school it. It will leave a mark on you. And not necessarily in a good way. So, divorce yourself of any romantic notions in that regard.

If you have the grades, time, and the patience to navigate the U.S. application process, do it. Finish medical school here. Train here. Then go do a stint with Doctors Without Borders, Samaritan's Purse, or any of the other charity organizations who'd be happy to have you to fill that craving you have - and do it as a fully-trained physician. You won't have to commit yourself to four (or more) years of a decision you might quickly regret.

There. Consider your knowledge gap closed. :)

-Skip

Reactions: 5 users

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
I will never recommend anyone to attend Saba medical school it’s just a scam house for collecting lots of money and putting student in debt.
They didn’t answer what it’s practically like
Semester study plan changes the professor are not well at what they taught whole burden on student no proper medical facilities molded dorms depression tension headache all times.
The test are marked at devens headquarters and they may drop what ever questions they want which will ultimately failed the students on narrow space and put them on repetition and who knows the same course will be taught next semester.Reaching to Saba and existing the same island is the big issue.
The rest is upto you how to manage.

487 MCAT / 2.48 GPA and got accepted into SABA lmao!!

I ended up not going and I'm in my last year of law school, most likely graduating cum laude! I almost made the worst mistake ever going to a Caribbean med school!

Mine was 3.0 for the school I was considering. But I found out someone who's currently enrolled, they did not start university and are directly in the med program, not just pre-med. There's another Canadian student who had a sub-C based GPA in first year undergrad and they're at the school, too.

487 MCAT / 2.48 GPA and got accepted into SABA lmao!!

I ended up not going and I'm in my last year of law school, most likely graduating cum laude! I almost made the worst mistake ever going to a Caribbean med school!

If you're going to troll, make it less obvious. YOU DID NOT apply to Saba. You just want to post something random for a ha ha ha moment. How would Saba accept someone like that and keep their accreditation?

If you're going to troll, make it less obvious. YOU DID NOT apply to Saba. You just want to post something random for a ha ha ha moment. How would Saba accept someone like that and keep their accreditation?
I know people with those stats at Ross. They had to do merp first but they’re in the basic sciences right now.

I know people with those stats at Ross. They had to do merp first but they’re in the basic sciences right now.

If you can pass MERP, you can pass basic sciences.

That's not what my post was referring to however and SABA does not have a MERP equivalent.

For what it’s worth, I know someone with a sub 490 MCAT and sub 3.0 GPA who’s at SABA right now. It would be interesting to know why they take such low scores if it hurts their accreditation status.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I know someone with a sub 490 MCAT and sub 3.0 GPA who’s at SABA right now. It would be interesting to know why they take such low scores if it hurts their accreditation status.
It doesn’t hurt their accreditation status. They’ve been taking people with these stats for years.

Oh I'm sure you do :rolleyes:

I was being funny but seriously, I really did get accepted and those were my stats. I can literally message you a pic of my acceptance letter.

Lol this dude is getting so triggered. The average gpa of acceptance for these schools are in the low 3s, so obviously there’s some people accepted with sub 3.0 gpa and sub 490. I don’t need data to show that, it’s on their website.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol this dude is getting so triggered. The average gpa of acceptance for these schools are in the low 3s, so obviously there’s some people accepted with sub 3.0 gpa and sub 490. I don’t need data to show that, it’s on their website.

Calm down there big guy. I'm only correcting you because you're making baseless claims. Just worry about your app.

Hey Folks!

Random question for all of you that are so kind to share.

Don't have to give MCAT score or EC's.

But what GPA did you have at the time when you got accepted into a Caribbean Medical School and which school?
Only asking to see the variety in the GPA's :)

Current SGU student: 3.4 GPA undergrad, 4.0 Post bacc

Calm down there big guy. I'm only correcting you because you're making baseless claims. Just worry about your app.

lol why don't you worry about yourself and not venture in the Caribbean section of SDN and talk smack on Caribbean schools.