YippiYiYo

15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
What was your undergraduate major? Should I major in something other than science?Your input will be helpful, thanks.

HBomb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2004
CA
Visit site
Status
I studied math. My personal belief is that as an undergrad, you should study whatever it is you think you'll enjoy the most. If you can believe it, I really liked math. I also would have liked to have studied linguistics.

In terms of dental school, it's more important that you do well in school and on the DAT, not so much your major. If you ask me if a science degree makes you more competitive than a non-science degree, all else being exactly equal, I'd say there is a very, very slight advantage to the science major (but I think some others in the forum would disagree). But the advantage is only slight, and it's more important that you thoroughly enjoy your undergrad years, since you only get that once in your life.

krull

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Status
Physics

About the Ads

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
Texas
Status

Sk8aBull

Should be Studying...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
FL
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
My major is Biomedical Sciences.

Kung Foo

Mad Scientist...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2002
the edge of decay
Visit site
Status
Post Doc
Biology and Chemistry (BS) - studying a science (and understanding the process) will help you catch on to what they're really talking about in the main didactic science courses during your first year or so of dental school. However, I like to think of a dentist's undergrad degree as his/her "hobby." Your future dental school will teach you everything you need to know to be a competent dentist, but it's not like they will help you become a more well-rounded or interesting person. It's very healthy for professionals to have interests outside of science/dentistry - keeps you from going nuts. Anyway, to make a long story short - study your passion or at least something you're really interested in during undergrad - even if there's no way you would want to make that your profession. (I really like German lit, for example, but had zero desire to teach it or research it - i dropped the major a class away from finishing it to graduate early). You will still be taking the courses that will enable you to do well in dental school, while at the same time contributing to your future quality of life.

If you are simply really really focused on dental school - getting in, getting perfect grades, etc, - then take a major that allows you to "pre-take" courses you'll encounter during the "academic" portion of dental school. There are some guys at my school who majored in "medical biology" in undergrad which somehow allowed them to have already even have gross anatomy experiance coming in - very helpful.

Good luck! :clap:

misogi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
I majored in Computer Science because it was a very valuable degree at the time, and I wasn't sure what I career I wished to pursue. I decided on Dentistry and completed my prerequisites while working.

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
City of Angels
Status
Business Admin / Management Infomation Systems (MIS)

About the Ads

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Visit site
Status
Double Major in Chemistry & Political Science

Where the art of science and social science meet! :p

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by avingupta
Double Major in Chemistry & Political Science

Where the art of science and social science meet! :p
:laugh:

I am sure that was clearer to you from the beginning.

captaintripps

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2003
connecticut
Visit site
Status
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - can't go wrong.

captaintripps

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2003
connecticut
Visit site
Status
that's a very insightful comment.

Zurich5

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
Hoosierville
Visit site
Status
Biology/Chemistry/Sleeping and Reading the newespaper in the back of class...when i went :p

About the Ads

zimaad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
Status
Mechanical Engineering, B.S. and M.S.

pktchris

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
Iowa
Visit site
Status
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (one degree with a really long name)

Westside22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
los angeles
Visit site
Status
what undergrad major?

Just kidding...

Psychobiology...

Where psychology and biology meets... though we had to take tons of neurosci too...
they should have called it Neuropsychobiology

:)

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2003
Slipping the Surly Bonds of Earth
Visit site
Status
YippiYiYo said:
What was your undergraduate major? Should I major in something other than science?Your input will be helpful, thanks.
BS Astronautical Engineering, MA Mathematics, MBA

Mangocat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Communication Sciences and Disorders-basically a mix of Speech Path, Audiology and Learning Disabilities. I learned a lot of head/neck anatomy in undergrad.

About the Ads