What's going on with psychiatry residency interviews this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhizobium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the places I've been this interview season have mentioned that this year was particularly high volume for applications to psych residencies. I was wondering if anyone had any more info about that? Is it slightly more than usual, or way more than usual? And do we have any idea whether more people overall are going into psych, or if each student is just applying to more programs?

Also, I felt like a lot of the other applicants I talked to had gotten a lot fewer interview invites than they were told to expect. Maybe our expectations were just out of whack, but I thought I would throw it out to the community and see what y'alls think.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might try the Psychiatry forum, it's actually pretty active and might get more replies.

And do we have any idea whether more people overall are going into psych, or if each student is just applying to more programs?
I think it's probably a little of both. I heard that UCLA-Geffen for example had ~22 applicants applying psych this cycle. I think it's getting more popular. Also, the trend is certainly to apply to more programs... I know that I applied to more than I ended up needing. Hindsight is 20-20

I know you're from Creighton and we typically match pretty well. Best of luck, friend!!

I'm not on here much and the navigation for this site is a little hard to figure out.

I'm not worried about matching, as I've really enjoyed the programs where I've had interviews. I'm more just wondering if there has been a change in how many people are interested in psych all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe psych will be the next derm, so it's good if you can get in on it before it becomes too competitive and require a 260+ Step 1 score to match! It has a great lifestyle, you don't have to touch patients, and has a very low malpractice risk! And it can pay very well if you run a all-cash practice or are on call at 5 to 6 hospitals at the same time!

Overall, there are more folks applying to more programs than they really need. Fear can be one hell of a motivator.

Also, I firmly believe Psychiatry is becoming more and more competitive or at least there is more interest. Personally, I have been saying if you like the patient population it has many aspects like Derm for years.