what's going on??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aqua7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current applicant for the class of 2010. Stats: 30 MCAT/4.0 GPA from a small uknown liberal arts college. I was an August MCATer, complete at all schools by late Oct/very early Nov. So far I've only received two interviews. Of course, I'm very grateful for these two, but I won't hear back from these schools until late Jan and Feb and am pretty certain I won't get into one of the schools and am not sure about the other. I am really worried about not getting any more interviews, since I've been complete for more than two months at my other schools. People who applied much later than me have recieved interviews to many of these schools. I tried to think of a possible weakness in my app...I know my stats are nowhere near stellar, but I really thought I'd have at least one more interview by now. I have pretty good ECs..lots of research, good clinical experiences, tutoring and mentoring, full scholarship, started a club, etc. I got very good feedback on my PS and thought my secondaries were pretty good. I expect that my LORs were good too, but of course, I don't know for sure. I guess I'm really demoralized because I have competitive stats for many of the schools I applied to but yet have not heard anything from despite being complete for a while. I know this process is a crapshoot and I can't expect interviews anywhere with my stats, but it's so frustrating to see people with lower stats and who applied later than me get interviews, while my inbox/mailbox has been empty for months. Sorry if this sounds like I'm whining, I'm just so frustrated and sad by how this process is turning out. I know there's still a chance I may get interviews, but I dont have much hope any more. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To what am I supposed to reply? Cuz I can talk and slap down some replies, but I have no idea what I am supposed to do on this thread. I am confused and scared. I am leaving now.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, guys, I accidentally hit submit before finishing :oops:

It's cool, we still love you.

Calm down girl take a deep breathe it seems like you are a strong applicant, just give them some more time. If this helps you at all, I have only 1 interview invite thus far. :D Call around if you want to check on your status instead of having panic attacks.

aqua7 said:
I am a current applicant for the class of 2010. Stats: 30 MCAT/4.0 GPA from a small uknown liberal arts college. I was an August MCATer, complete at all schools by late Oct/very early Nov. So far I've only received two interviews. Of course, I'm very grateful for these two, but I won't hear back from these schools until late Jan and Feb and am pretty certain I won't get into one of the schools and am not sure about the other. I am really worried about not getting any more interviews, since I've been complete for more than two months at my other schools. People who applied much later than me have recieved interviews to many of these schools. I tried to think of a possible weakness in my app...I know my stats are nowhere near stellar, but I really thought I'd have at least one more interview by now. I have pretty good ECs..lots of research, good clinical experiences, tutoring and mentoring, full scholarship, started a club, etc. I got very good feedback on my PS and thought my secondaries were pretty good. I expect that my LORs were good too, but of course, I don't know for sure. I guess I'm really demoralized because I have competitive stats for many of the schools I applied to but yet have not heard anything from despite being complete for a while. I know this process is a crapshoot and I can't expect interviews anywhere with my stats, but it's so frustrating to see people with lower stats and who applied later than me get interviews, while my inbox/mailbox has been empty for months. Sorry if this sounds like I'm whining, I'm just so frustrated and sad by how this process is turning out. I know there's still a chance I may get interviews, but I dont have much hope any more. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks.

Keep yo' head up!

I really don't know what to say, but GPA/MCAT alone are not the whole picture. It seems like you have good EC's, but the Adcoms are just not biting in your case. I suggest you throw them a bone with a good update letter and LOI. I have not done this to the schools I'm waiting for, but I will soon.

I think it could be that you didn't apply to enough schools ??

BerkeleyMD said:
Keep yo' head up!

I really don't know what to say, but GPA/MCAT alone are not the whole picture. It seems like you have good EC's, but the Adcoms are just not biting in your case. I suggest you throw them a bone with a good update letter and LOI. I have not done this to the schools I'm waiting for, but I will soon.

I think it could be that you didn't apply to enough schools ??

I did send an update letter and I've called all of my schools to check on my status but all they ever say is that the committe is still reviewing my file and to keep waiting. You're right, I only applied to 11 schools for financial reasons but I tried to make sure that my stats were fairly competitive at most of them, with only a few reach schools.

aqua7 said:
I did send an update letter and I've called all of my schools to check on my status but all they ever say is that the committe is still reviewing my file and to keep waiting. You're right, I only applied to 11 schools for financial reasons but I tried to make sure that my stats were fairly competitive at most of them, with only a few reach schools.

Its good that you applied to reasonable schools. I applied to around 40 schools and only have 1 seat at this point.

*bump* does anyone else have any input on my situation?? thanks.

aqua7 said:
*bump* does anyone else have any input on my situation?? thanks.

by your first post, you seem like a better applicant than me.....i would say the mcat being in august has a lot to do w/ it.....if there's a next year (which i hope that you are in at one of those two schools!) apply really really really early w/ that same mcat (or retake in april if you want, but that's a good score in my book)

:luck:

I can't say there is really all that much to say. You seem like a solid applicant and it is likely that you will hear back from more schools. Just keep your head up and *try* to stay calm. (I should talk!)

aqua7 said:

The only thoughts I had (1) multiple interviews is not so bad. (2) You applied pretty late in the process. Not fatal, but could be the limiting factor in the number of interviews you got thus far. (3) Is your 30 MCAT balanced or skewed? (4) what do you consider "fairly competitive" schools? You definitely want a range with a 30 MCAT and a relatively small number of apps, especially if a few of the 11 were reach schools.

Like what Law2Doc asked, how is your MCAT distributed? Adcoms like to see 10's across the board, and nothing below an 8.

I can't comment further on your status, since I don't have access to your full AMCAS. You not only need to ask yourself "do I have good EC's" but you'll also need to ask what aspect about you that makes you truly stand out.

Based on your numbers alone, you seem solid. Next week you'll probably surprise us all with several interview offers. Good luck!

aqua7 said:

Thanks.
I recommend that you take up trout fishing and bocciball. :thumbup:

Well, you've had interviews so you can't complain. Schedule a mock interview with your premed advisor so, if you get another interview, you ace it. Hopefully, you'll get an acceptance. If not, re-apply. Maybe do a 1-year post-bacc program and be more careful about where you apply - apply lower and apply to at least 15 programs. It's ok to apply a second time - I know a bunch of med students who did.