PhD/PsyD What's the deal with Indiana State University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM_MeYourTrauma

Reaction score
I’ve been looking into different PsyD programs but I’ve been trying to stick to the more legitimate programs out of non-private/non-profit schools. I am interested in working with Children and Trauma populations in the future so I have been looking for PsyD faculty that have similar interests there. The common ones brought up are Rutgers and Baylor, of course. Rutgers is a good program, very competitive, super expensive cost of living though, and after a little digging I noticed they mention that they only pay tuition for some of their PsyD students. Baylor is a fantastic program (even if it is in Waco) but none of the faculty seems to share my interests.

So all that led me to finding Indiana State University’s PsyD program; their stats in matching are at 100% and have been for several years, licensing is at 94%, tuition and cost of living is very low, they even pay for some tuition – I think the website said students would end up paying something like $3000~ per year. They have small cohorts and a couple members of faculty do research with kids/trauma. It seems like a really great program but I never see anyone talk about it here. Is there some dirt or drama I’m missing? I’ve looked at a ton of practicing PsyD’s in several states I would like to live in/Indiana out of curiosity, and I have not found any ISU grads? The program is not new, what gives?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the quality of the program, but 2 of my internship supervisors in the mental health clinic at a VA not located in Indiana went there.

They seem qualified and didn't have any negative things to say about their program per se, except difficulties with completing their dissertation while away on internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno, never met anyone from there, and can't recall reviewing any applications from there. Also, I'd expand your search to include balanced clinical PhD programs.

Thank you!
My Undergrad isn't psychology (it's Anthro/History). I've taken all the psychology courses recommended by most grad programs BUT I didn't/don't have access to research opportunities that most PhD's require of applicants. I wouldn't be gambling with a PsyD if I didn't think I had to.

I can't speak to the quality of the program, but 2 of my internship supervisors in the mental health clinic at a VA not located in Indiana went there.

They seem qualified and didn't have any negative things to say about their program per se, except difficulties with completing their dissertation while away on internship.

Oh! The VA is good news. Makes sense that I couldn't find them. I think the searches I was looking through might have been geared more toward private practice. Thanks

Thank you!
My Undergrad isn't psychology (it's Anthro/History). I've taken all the psychology courses recommended by most grad programs BUT I didn't/don't have access to research opportunities that most PhD's require of applicants. I wouldn't be gambling with a PsyD if I didn't think I had to.

The reputable PsyDs will also want to see some type of research experience. You're better off trying to apply to a range of reputable programs, both PsyD/PhD, with a backup to get some research experience if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Terre Haute would probably good for a forensically-minded person (as the federal prison is right there), but I don't know about other practica. It's a good 1.5 hours from Indianapolis, so it would be less than ideal for doing practica there, though that's where many of the great places are.

FAQ Psy.D. Vs Ph.D. | College of Arts and Sciences

This a bit cringey.

A close friend and colleague went there. Very much enjoyed her experience. Very well trained. Only problem was SERIOUS issues while on internship trying to wrap up her dissertation (to the point she was worried she might not be able to graduate). Last I recall they have someone there who is big into the mmpi and forensic applications. Dude is also anti RF/ not in the ben-porath camp from what I remember.

I went there! Recently graduated, working in the VA. In my experience, ISU floats under the radar for reasons I don't completely understand. It was recently named the #3 Psy.D. school in the country (although I know those rankings have flaws and are semi-arbitrary). From what I've seen of people I graduated with/ know from the program, no one struggles to find a solid job, most people end up working in either the VA/AMCs/BOP, or some combination of private practice/college counseling if that's their interest. I think the biggest downside of the program is that the nearest VA is a little over an hour's drive away, although most people who want to work in the VA end up doing a practicum there at some point and just commute. I left the program with ~8 publications, so research is possible and encouraged if you want to make it a priority. I don't know anyone in recent years who's struggled to complete their dissertation on time, I think most people defend either the summer before internship or while on internship.

Any other questions you have, feel free to ask me here or PM me. I chose to go to ISU over a balanced Ph.D. program because after interviewing at ISU, the fit of the program and the research being done there was a perfect match for my interests. The only thing I regret is having to live in Terre Haute for four years!

Hello! I will be applying for Fall 2021. Can I connect with you with regards to your experience at ISU for PsyD ?

I spent some time at IUSOM in Indianapolis and worked a bit with a couple of students, who were both great. Small N, but it's something. Can't say I'd want to live in Terre Haute, but I suppose in grad school you're so preoccupied it doesn't always matter much where you are.

I went there! Recently graduated, working in the VA. In my experience, ISU floats under the radar for reasons I don't completely understand. It was recently named the #3 Psy.D. school in the country (although I know those rankings have flaws and are semi-arbitrary). From what I've seen of people I graduated with/ know from the program, no one struggles to find a solid job, most people end up working in either the VA/AMCs/BOP, or some combination of private practice/college counseling if that's their interest. I think the biggest downside of the program is that the nearest VA is a little over an hour's drive away, although most people who want to work in the VA end up doing a practicum there at some point and just commute. I left the program with ~8 publications, so research is possible and encouraged if you want to make it a priority. I don't know anyone in recent years who's struggled to complete their dissertation on time, I think most people defend either the summer before internship or while on internship.

Any other questions you have, feel free to ask me here or PM me. I chose to go to ISU over a balanced Ph.D. program because after interviewing at ISU, the fit of the program and the research being done there was a perfect match for my interests. The only thing I regret is having to live in Terre Haute for four years!

Hi there, I recently recieved an offer of admissions to ISU's Psyd program, and it truly does seem like a great option with a very welcoming cohort of students and greatly involved faculty members. If you don't mind further discussing your experiences within the program and further discussing your post-grad opportunities, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

Did anyone else read the thread title and hear Jerry Seinfeld saying it in their head?

Did anyone else read the thread title and hear Jerry Seinfeld saying it in their head?

The state is a rectangle, the school buildings are rectangles, they should call it Rectangle State University.