You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What's the point of saying "ORM"?
Started by Emulteapj
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
D
deleted962973
It doesn’t stand for minority, it stands for over represented in medicine.
Cubans, Filipinos and Colombianos, among others, are not Asian
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they over represented in Medicine? Also, do you count nurses separately from physicians?Cubans, Filipinos and Colombianos, among others, are not Asian
9
993444
Cubans, Filipinos and Colombianos, among others, are not Asian
What about Caucasians?
SchwiftyMD
Full Member
ORM = white and asian
Yes, and noAre they over represented in Medicine? Also, do you count nurses separately from physicians?
That goes without saying.What about Caucasians?
In about 5 months itll be "Feeling (O)ppressed and (R)eally (M)ad"ORM = white and asian
Last edited:
9
907914
East Asian, European, North African, Middle Eastern, Central and Northern South American, African and Hispanic Caribbean = ORMORM = white and asian
CidHighwind
Full Member
It doesn’t even mean white, it’s just something that Asian and Indian applicants say to “victimize” themselves.
???It doesn’t even mean white, it’s just something that Asian and Indian applicants say to “victimize” themselves.
Discrimination in the admissions process
CidHighwind
Full Member
ORMs, or just Asians and Indians (mostly East Asian) feel like they’re “discriminated” against for some reason. Nevermind the fact most live in the most competitive state to gain medical school admittance (Cali). I’m still waiting on all these URMs (black and Hispanic) that are supposedly “taking their spots. In our class of ~140 students, there’s 7 AA students and 4 Hispanic students, 5 of which are legacies.
D
deleted962973
I feel like you’re trying to start a fight no one asked forORMs, or just Asians and Indians (mostly East Asian) feel like they’re “discriminated” against for some reason. Nevermind the fact most live in the most competitive state to gain medical school admittance (Cali). I’m still waiting on all these URMs (black and Hispanic) that are supposedly “taking their spots. In our class of ~140 students, there’s 7 AA students and 4 Hispanic students, 5 of which are legacies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CidHighwind
Full Member
I feel like you’re trying to start a fight no one asked for
Not really, just answering OP’s question.
It doesn’t even mean white, it’s just something that Asian and Indian applicants say to “victimize” themselves.
Love the projection
CidHighwind
Full Member
Love the projection
I’ve just read enough URM threads on SDN to know how they typically go.
lmao i remember learning this for MCAT. One of the coping mechanisms
9
907914
What did one California ORM say to the other? See you next cycle!Nevermind the fact most live in the most competitive state to gain medical school admittance (Cali).
No but seriously, URMs are not taking the seats of ORMs. There is no oppression. There is no discrimination. A true meritocracy would only work if there was equal footing from the get-go. And there is not, thus life circumstances need to be taken in to consideration in admissions.
What did one California ORM say to the other? See you next cycle!
No but seriously, URMs are not taking the seats of ORMs. There is no oppression. There is no discrimination. A true meritocracy would only work if there was equal footing from the get-go. And there is not, thus life circumstances need to be taken in to consideration in admissions.
What’s the point of working hard if success gets counted against you?
CidHighwind
Full Member
Is it projection though? Go read through one of the many URM threads from years ago, in them, “ORMs” feel like it’s unfair the advantages that URMs get. Don’t know why you’re trying to say otherwise.
BTW, how am I projecting? Do you think I’m an ORM that feels like the world is against me, hence thinking others feel the same way?
9
907914
Success is absolutely NOT counted against you? I am pretty darn sure a 520 ORM has a higher chance of admission than a 515 ORM. Is that 'success being held against you'?if success gets counted against you?
This whole thing about URM and ORM looks extremely weird for me. In my home country we have many underserved areas where no one wants to live (mostly rural, far north or far south) and all medical schools have special quota for this purposes but instead of asking for ethnicity, they make you sign a contract where you agree that you will work in those areas for at least n years after graduation (usually 10), they lower admission standard for those people. I wonder why not to do this here, why not to create special programs for people who are ready to work with underserved population/rural areas. It would be logical if someone is fluent in Spanish and is willing to work with hispanic population and has tons of service hours with them, then why not to give that person preference instead of simply asking for ethnicity? (just my couple cents)
Last edited:
CidHighwind
Full Member
This whole thing about URM and ORM looks extremely weird for me. In my home country we have many underserved areas where no one wants to live (mostly rural, far north or far south) and all medical schools have special quota for this purposes but instead of asking ethnicity they make you sign a contract where you promise that you will work in those areas at least for n years after graduation (usually 10), they low admission standard for those people. I wonder why not to do this here, why not to create special programs for people who are ready to work with underserved population/rural areas. It would be logical if someone is fluent in Spanish and is willing to work with hispanic population and has tons of service hours with them they why not to give that person preference instead of simply asking for ethnicity? (just my couple cents)
They already do this. There’s primary care tracks that place people in these rural areas.
9
907914
Because in the US those underserved things are typically correlated with race/ethnicity due to centuries of forced segregation. To tell a group "We will lower your admissions standards and make you work in those neighborhoods" is a no-go in the US because it plays negatively in to 2 things: 1) the forced segregation history that the US has and 2) this pervasive and uniquely American stupid idea that everyone can make it if they just try hard enough.This whole thing about URM and ORM looks extremely weird for me. In my home country we have many underserved areas where no one wants to live (mostly rural, far north or far south) and all medical schools have special quota for this purposes but instead of asking ethnicity they make you sign a contract where you agree that you will work in those areas for at least n years after graduation (usually 10), they low admission standard for those people. I wonder why not to do this here, why not to create special programs for people who are ready to work with underserved population/rural areas. It would be logical if someone is fluent in Spanish and is willing to work with hispanic population and has tons of service hours with them they why not to give that person preference instead of simply asking for ethnicity? (just my couple cents)
Is it projection though? Go read through one of the many URM threads from years ago, in them, “ORMs” feel like it’s unfair the advantages that URMs get. Don’t know why you’re trying to say otherwise.
BTW, how am I projecting? Do you think I’m an ORM that feels like the world is against me, hence thinking others feel the same way?
No I assume you feel in some way disadvantaged and impose that feeling onto others, and the result is dismissing something as explicitly discriminatory as the “URM” boost.
Success is absolutely NOT counted against you? I am pretty darn sure a 520 ORM has a higher chance of admission than a 515 ORM. Is that 'success being held against you'?
Oh boy. I meant intergenerationally. Having successful parents should NOT be a relative disadvantage.
9
907914
Lifting the bottom up =/= tearing the top down.Oh boy. I meant intergenerationally. Having successful parents should NOT be a relative disadvantage.
Lifting the bottom up =/= tearing the top down.
Yes it is. There is limited wealth to go around. It’s why raising the minimum wage and/or printing more money doesn’t solve poverty.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CidHighwind
Full Member
No I assume you feel in some way disadvantaged and impose that feeling onto others, and the result is dismissing something as explicitly discriminatory as the “URM” boost.
Oh boy. I meant intergenerationally. Having successful parents should NOT be a relative disadvantage.
That’s not what projection is though, but you’re trying, I’ll give you that. What I’m getting at is that whatever “boost” URMs get, isn’t really substantial enough to allow them to be in medicine in high numbers. You’re much more likely to not “get in” because a rich legacies kid applies the same year as you vs the handful of students that get in because of some “advantage”.
I thought this is the main point of affirmative action in medicine, of course nobody makes people work anywhere but this is assumed, I am far from politics, so I might be wrong"We will lower your admissions standards and make you work in those neighborhoods" is a no-go in the US
9
907914
It is more or less the intent, but there is no legislation or contractual obligation so there is no 'trickle down' benefit to the under served areas. No one wants to go back home to serve their neighborhood (Understandably)I thought this is the main point of affirmative action in medicine, of course nobody make people work anywhere but this is assumed, I am far from politics, so I might be wrong
That’s not what projection is though, but you’re trying, I’ll give you that. What I’m getting at is that whatever “boost” URMs get, isn’t really substantial enough to allow them to be in medicine in high numbers. You’re much more likely to not “get in” because a rich legacies kid applies the same year as you vs the handful of students that get in because of some “advantage”.
Haha. It’s quite literally the definition of projection but ok. Both are wrong. Love the whataboutism as well.
CidHighwind
Full Member
Haha. It’s quite literally the definition of projection but ok. Both are wrong. Love the whataboutism as well.
K
7
710118
Lifting the bottom up =/= tearing the top down.
Of course it does. I am a URM but I am the first to admit that by giving some applicants preference over others, you are in effect lowering the chances other applicants have. URMs can get into top med schools with a 513. Show me caucasians or Asians with a 513 at Stanford.
9
993444
Show me caucasians or Asians with a 513 at Stanford.
I'm sure there are some whose parents are either Stanford donors or Stanford faculty members.
That's why immigrants outperform local-born Americans, because in fact we believe in this "stupid idea". When you were raised in some poor corrupted country, come here, and see what this country can offer you, you work 100x times harder than ever before. This is hard to explain, you have to feel it. Of course, there is some % of population who had brutal life experience but saying the idea is stupid and assuming everyone is tied to the SES they were born with is too harsh and inaccurate.this pervasive and uniquely American stupid idea that everyone can make it if they just try hard enough.
Again, I might be biased but given my life experience this sounds stupid: I was born when my home country (largest in the world) was ripped apart with wars for independence by many border regions, I remember starvation, being homeless, and that feeling when you get your "golden ticket" to the US. Now situation is a bit better but most people still live in extreme poverty and have no options because to get a good position (or to get into top school) you have to bribe authorities. I (and especially my dad) know what is ethnic discrimination (1/2 jew, you can read about jewish discrimination in USSR and todays Russia). These will be main points of my adversity/challenge essays when I will be applying. America is by any means the best country in the World for those who had nothing but a dream. I went through poverty here, I was homeless here, I visited food pantries, and I even didn't know English (at least not enough to work) but I still believe in this idea. If you ask smart gifted people in many other countries what is your dream, they will tell you "move to the US", I remember my high school class, people with best exam scores, awards, honors, 90% of them wanted just to get out of Russia and move to the US. 3 of them (including me) are already here, there is a reason for brain drain in poor countries, and why US is the most attractive place for them. We all came from the same low SES, none of our parents even had cars, we used only public transportation, but the most smart and talented people studied 24/7 in high school and in college because they really wanted to move here, 2 of my close friends already did it even without money and they are on the way to their American dream (current PhD students).
I told all of this not to brag about but to give an idea how immigrants see this country. Not that rich people with fluent parents from fancy London districts but people from really poor and impoverished backgrounds.
Last edited:
9
907914
Main point: if an immigrant from the former USSR works hard, learns English, gets an education, and tries to start a business then the bank will give him a loan because he has proven his effort.That's why immigrants outperform local-born Americans, because in fact we believe in this "stupid idea". When you were raised in some poor corrupted country, come here, and see what this country can offer you, you work 100x times harder than ever before. This is hard to explain, you have to feel it. Of course, there is some % of population who had brutal life experience but saying the idea is stupid and assuming everyone is tied to the SES they were born with is too harsh and inaccurate.
Again, I might be biased but given my life experience that sounds stupid: I was born when my home country (largest in the world) was ripped apart with wars for independence by many border regions, I remember starvation, being homeless, and that feeling when you get your "golden ticket" to the US. Now situation is a bit better but most people live in extreme poverty and have no options because to get a good position (or to get into top school) you have to bribe authorities. I (and especially my dad) know what is ethnic discrimination (1/2 jew, you can read about jewish discrimination in USSR and todays Russia). These will be main points of my adversity/challenge essays when I will be applying. America is by any means the best country in the World for those who had nothing but a dream. I went through poverty here, I was homeless here, I visited food pantries, and I even didn't know English (at least not enough to work) but I still believe in this idea.
If a black man from East Cleveland works hard, gets an education, and goes to the bank to get a loan to start a business, he will be denied the loan despite good credit, despite proving they are worth the money, because the implicit bias ingrained in the culture of the US tells that loan manager that this guy means trouble.
That is the difference. No amount of hard work matters if the society you are raised in tells you that your effort doesn’t matter simply because of who you are.
If a black man from East Cleveland works hard, gets an education, and goes to the bank to get a loan to start a business, he will be denied the loan despite good credit, despite proving they are worth the money, because the implicit bias ingrained in the culture of the US tells that loan manager that this guy means trouble.
And more black doctors fixes this how?
As a finance major I can tell that if you need a loan to start a business then you are doing something wrong. I am not talking about business, I am talking about education, this is the best social elevator one can rely on. In fact, people who work in high paying jobs make more than most business owners.Main point: if an immigrant from the former USSR works hard, learns English, gets an education, and tries to start a business then the bank will give him a loan because he has proven his effort.
If a black man from East Cleveland works hard, gets an education, and goes to the bank to get a loan to start a business, he will be denied the loan despite good credit, despite proving they are worth the money, because the implicit bias ingrained in the culture of the US tells that loan manager that this guy means trouble.
That is the difference. No amount of hard work matters if the society you are raised in tells you that your effort doesn’t matter simply because of who you are.
They fix the problem that AA community experiences shortage of healthcare providers (especially PCP).And more black doctors fixes this how?
9
907914
As a finance major I can tell that if you need a loan to start a business then you are doing something wrong. I am not talking about business, I am talking about education, this is the best social elevator one can rely on. In fact, people who work in high paying jobs make more than most business owners.
I used this as an easy to understand analogy for how systemic racism is ingrained in to the entire system of US social structure. Y’all are missing the damn point.And more black doctors fixes this how?
Just to add, Nigerian immigrants make more than whites even being black. It doesn't matter which country you came from, all that really matters is your attitude.Main point: if an immigrant from the former USSR works hard, learns English, gets an education, and tries to start a business then the bank will give him a loan because he has proven his effort.
If a black man from East Cleveland works hard, gets an education, and goes to the bank to get a loan to start a business, he will be denied the loan despite good credit, despite proving they are worth the money, because the implicit bias ingrained in the culture of the US tells that loan manager that this guy means trouble.
That is the difference. No amount of hard work matters if the society you are raised in tells you that your effort doesn’t matter simply because of who you are.
9
907914
Nigerian immigrants are not raised in the systemic racism ingrained in to the social culture of the US. Nigerian immigrants make more, their children make far less. You are missing the point.Just to add, Nigerian immigrants make more than whites even being black. It doesn't matter which country you came from, all that really matters is your attitude.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used this as an easy to understand analogy for how systemic racism is ingrained in to the entire system of US social structure. Y’all are missing the damn point.
I’m really not. Your example is completely unrelated to med school admissions.
Any evidence of that?their children make far less.
9
907914
It highlights the systemic racism imbedded in every facet of US culture that oppressed persons of color who are raised in it. They are at an inherent disadvantage, regardless of individual effort. This has everything to do with medical school admissions. There cannot be a meritocracy when URMs have a constant weight/burden.I’m really not. Your example is completely unrelated to med school admissions.
9
907914
Any evidence of that?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 40
- Views
- 14K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K