What's the workload like at YOUR school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At UNC, students are in class from 8 to 12, the lectures are optional, and then they're their own to study the rest of the afternoon. My friends are there and are loving it because they get a lot of free time to workout, date, cook, etc. Exams are every 3rd week.

Then at UNE, the students are in class till 5 or so, and they're just bogged down with work. By the time you get home, eat, unwind, there are only a few hours left to cram for the next day.

At LECOM-Bradenton, the students are in class as much and are on their own.

Just curious what it looks like at other schools (such as CCOM, PCOM, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

DemonDeacon said:
At UNC, students are in class from 8 to 12, the lectures are optional, and then they're their own to study the rest of the afternoon. My friends are there and are loving it because they get a lot of free time to workout, date, cook, etc. Exams are every 3rd week.

Then at UNE, the students are in class till 5 or so, and they're just bogged down with work. By the time you get home, eat, unwind, there are only a few hours left to cram for the next day.

At DMU classes usually from 8-12 with OMM and anatomy labs in the afternoon for 1 1/2 hours. DMU also puts lectures online in MP3 w/power points. There is no test schedule as we can have 1/week, 1/2weeks, 2/week etc... Overall the schedule is very manageable with lots of time to workout and be with family/friends.

At COMP we usually start at 9am (with the exception of a few 8am days) and end at 12pm unless we have OMM lab or Clinical Medicine (usually have these every week). So 3 days are 9-12, other days are 9-3 or 9-5. Our lectures are also recorded and available online right when they end.

Members don't see this ad :)
DemonDeacon said:

At NSU-COM we have class till 5pm at least three days per week. we usually get one afternoon off per week. We have an exam every single Monday, with the exception of maybe 3 weeks throughout the semester. Did I mention we've been in class since July 5th? it sucks pretty bad, only 2 weeks left though

1st Year

Lectures: 9am-Noon, Tuesday-Friday
Labs: 1pm-5pm, Monday-Thursday

2nd Year

Lectures/Small Group: 8am-Noon, Monday-Friday
Labs: 1pm-5pm, Monday-Thursday

(I only attend labs & small group)

PCOM 2nd-year sounds more like UNC, except we're often in class until 2 or 3pm, with a weekly afternoon lab. Plenty of free time with a lax attendance policy. :)

HoodyHoo said:
At NSU-COM we have class till 5pm at least three days per week. we usually get one afternoon off per week. We have an exam every single Monday, with the exception of maybe 3 weeks throughout the semester. Did I mention we've been in class since July 5th? it sucks pretty bad, only 2 weeks left though
:eek: AND mandatory attendance?

Here at Midwestern-AZCOM, we had exams pretty much every Monday during the first quarter and even as many as three in a week. I thought they might go easy on us the first quarter but that was far from the case. Overall, I didn't have much free time at all and ended up studying on Friday nights as well. But the two week break in between first and second quarter made it all worth it :thumbup: . Now it's the first week of second quarter and things won't get too bad until after christmas break. Then it's BLACK JANUARY.....

Dang, this is awesome... keep the posts coming!

Here is a link to KCOM's calendar. You need to click on "options" and change update your "preference" for class year (or you won't see anything in the calendar).

http://www.kcom.edu/calendar/month.asp

Only a few of the lectures are required (1-5 a quarter total out of ~300). Labs are required, obviously.

class 8-5 3 days per week then friday till noon and one free morning no class til 10 am...

exams every 6 weeks and some courses have mandatory attendance (otherwise no one would show up :D )

the exam schedule - every six weeks includes 8 - 11 exams - huge volume total hell - infact i am in complete denial and should be studying for my exams that start next friday :eek:

@UNE---class til 5 when we had gross anatomy. when that ended, class starts at 1pm sometimes. 10am on others. it's great how they hit us w/ the most difficult course 1st. At other schools, it works the other way. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
oldManDO2009 said:
class 8-5 3 days per week then friday till noon and one free morning no class til 10 am...

exams every 6 weeks and some courses have mandatory attendance (otherwise no one would show up :D )

the exam schedule - every six weeks includes 8 - 11 exams - huge volume total hell - infact i am in complete denial and should be studying for my exams that start next friday :eek:

We have the same setup... except our exams start on Monday!!!!

HoodyHoo said:

You forgot about the Dress Code :)
I don't know about you, but I've been skipping class this whole week...I need to study for finals and I just feel like sitting in class is a waste of my time...so I wake up at the same time, but stay home and study instead :)

Karina

I wouldn't say that Nevada is exactly the same as Mare Island. Not sure when we have the one day that starts at 10AM. As far as I know the day usually start at 8AM, M-F. Sometimes we get a break and don't have to go in until 9AM. As for when we get out, that depends on whether or not it is a gross anatomy day. On gross anatomy days, we could go into lab as late as 3PM and not leave until 6PM or later depending on the dissection.

Lectures are pretty much mandatory since professors don't include everything in the power point presentations that we can download. Plus there are announced quizzes that can happen either at the beginning of the class or after a break so you have to go to lecture just to be sure not to miss the quiz.

The faculty also expects students to have a pretty good foundation of biochemistry, physiology and anatomy prior to starting school. Therefore, if one only has had the basic requirements, more effort is required to learn the material.

pem8erly said:
.... snip ....

The faculty also expects students to have a pretty good foundation of biochemistry, physiology and anatomy prior to starting school. Therefore, if one only has had the basic requirements, more effort is required to learn the material.

How exactly can the faculty expect that, when the published admissions requirements are the usual 6 hours biology, 6 hours physics, etc etc?

Other than a few schools with unique requirements (such as a biochem, calculus, or genetics class) I don't recall seeing a foundation of anatomy/biochem/physio as being a prereq to matriculation.

Sure, it's good to have it, but for it to be an expectation of the faculty is a bit much, especially from liberal arts majors.

trinityalumnus said:
How exactly can the faculty expect that, when the published admissions requirements are the usual 6 hours biology, 6 hours physics, etc etc?

Other than a few schools with unique requirements (such as a biochem, calculus, or genetics class) I don't recall seeing a foundation of anatomy/biochem/physio as being a prereq to matriculation.

Sure, it's good to have it, but for it to be an expectation of the faculty is a bit much, especially from liberal arts majors.

You're absolutely right! Unfortunately, despite what the entrance requirements are, that is what my class is experiencing. Quite a few classmates are having a difficult time assimilating information that they are seeing for the very first time and finding it very challenging because they are being told that it should look familiar to them. Even to those who have taken a class such as biochemistry, the information can sometimes be confusing because of the brevity of the lecture presentation.

Any MSUCOM comments?

At CCOM classes go from about 8am until late in the afternoon most days. Usually, lectures are in the morning and lab is in the afternoon. However, attendance at lectures is not mandatory and at least in my class after the first few months of MS-1 no one was going to much lecture anyway. By 2nd year I wasn't going to more than 10% of lectures at all. The testing schedule sucks though, expect a test a week + finals.

we're like 8-4 every day except for glorious Thursday and Friday when we're in class 8-5. we get a couple hours off during the day thrown around too though. still, LOTS of class.

-J OMS-II

Thats what I figured but I thought they were talking about ostephatic schools and to the best of my knowledge UNC has no DO program

Dr_JAAAA said:
Any MSUCOM comments?
www.com.msu.edu
Most classes aren't mandatory. Small groups and omm labs are mandatory. It varies a lot between first and second year. Second year, there are almost no classes on Fridays due to preceptorship.

Claymore said:
At CCOM classes go from about 8am until late in the afternoon most days. Usually, lectures are in the morning and lab is in the afternoon. However, attendance at lectures is not mandatory and at least in my class after the first few months of MS-1 no one was going to much lecture anyway. By 2nd year I wasn't going to more than 10% of lectures at all. The testing schedule sucks though, expect a test a week + finals.

The days are still long if you go to lectures, but you don't really have to b/c the modules they give you for each class are solid. The testing schedule has changed also - now we have 2 weeks off before finals with 0 tests. There are 2 weeks (not including finals) where you're rear gets slammed though.

Billy
MS1

kcumb, classes are mandatory. labs are mandatory. we have 6 week sections to study in a systems approach, with typically 2 quizes, plus an anatomy exam, plus a pathology exam, plus a final exam, plus interviews, plus omm exams. typically in class from 8-1pm lecturs, then depending on your lab group from 1-5pm for labs. if anything is missed, it will count off on your point score or you might have to make it up by writing a paper. there is a dress code, and professionalism cards.

its a really great school, its tough, but somethings just seem backward with them... but overall im happy here.

OnMyWayThere said:
At COMP we usually start at 9am (with the exception of a few 8am days) and end at 12pm unless we have OMM lab or Clinical Medicine (usually have these every week). So 3 days are 9-12, other days are 9-3 or 9-5. Our lectures are also recorded and available online right when they end.

Are COMP lectures mandatory?

SilleAngyl said:
Are COMP lectures mandatory?
Lecture audio is provided online for those who miss lecture ( or who enjoy home schooling.)

Is lecture at WVSOM mandatory? What is the day to day schedule like? Thanks.

DOctorJay said:
we're like 8-4 every day except for glorious Thursday and Friday when we're in class 8-5. we get a couple hours off during the day thrown around too though. still, LOTS of class.

-J OMS-II

Holy crap!!

FutureDocDO said:
Is lecture at WVSOM mandatory? What is the day to day schedule like? Thanks.

When I interviewed there, several SBLers said that lecture is not mandatory. Just the labs our mandatory (and PBL group if you are in that).

1st Year NSU:

1st Semester SUCKED! Maybe it was just getting used to school, or what not, but I had no time.

M - 8-4
Tu- 8-3
W - 8-5
Th- 8-3
Fri- 8-12 then every other Friday you have a rotation through a clinic till 6.

There were variations everyday, sometimes you were there late, sometimes we got out early. These are the averages. The mandadory 70% attendance however is not that bad. Probably half our class actually comes to class. A lot of people just come and swipe in, and go to the library. Some just get someone to sign them in. This semester hasn't been all that bad...yet. Our tests start up next week, then it's going to suck! The good thing is though that once neuro anatomy is over on Mar 6th, I'm out by 12 all but two days a week, then only 3.

Doc 2b said:
1st Year NSU:

1st Semester SUCKED! Maybe it was just getting used to school, or what not, but I had no time.

M - 8-4
Tu- 8-3
W - 8-5
Th- 8-3
Fri- 8-12 then every other Friday you have a rotation through a clinic till 6.

There were variations everyday, sometimes you were there late, sometimes we got out early. These are the averages. The mandadory 70% attendance however is not that bad. Probably half our class actually comes to class. A lot of people just come and swipe in, and go to the library. Some just get someone to sign them in. This semester hasn't been all that bad...yet. Our tests start up next week, then it's going to suck! The good thing is though that once neuro anatomy is over on Mar 6th, I'm out by 12 all but two days a week, then only 3.
Whoa. Are those times just for lecture; I mean a lot of that is lab, right? What do you mean your tests haven't started up yet... you're in your second semester, right?

Yes it includes lab... between Anatomy Histo and OMM i think ..

this is the M1 fall schedule:

http://medicine.nova.edu/forms/M105_fallsched.pdf

Keep in mind that school was closed for a week for hurricanes..and therefore the schedule was kind of crazy.

pretty much lecture 8-12..and labs after that...to varying times...

Claymore said:

A test a week? More like two tests a week AND at least two quizzes a week + the various other bull**** they make you do in biohell workshop.

And by late afternoon, he means sometimes until 4-5 on NON-lab days.

Honestly, if you can't handle a rigorous exam schedule, CCOM is not the place for you.

silas2642 said:
Whoa. Are those times just for lecture; I mean a lot of that is lab, right? What do you mean your tests haven't started up yet... you're in your second semester, right?

We haven't had our first test yet this semester. First is next monday, then one or two every week.

Haven't heard much from Touro MI or NV, COMP, or AZCOM?

Please share your knowledge. :)

for AZCOM..theres a test a week (usually monday)..and class/lab all day 8-4 or 8-5 although attendance is not mandatory..and AZCOM has a note service as well..

Any PCOMers care to share? Also, are classes at PCOM mandatory?

Our first year schedule at NYCOM is usually like this

Monday: OMM lab 9-12 (group a)
Tuesday: Lecture 8-5
Wednesday: OMM lab 9-12 (group b)
Thursday: Lecture 8-5
Friday: Lecture 8-12

Sometimes we'll have an hour lecture before lab. Classes might end early or start late depending on when in the block it is. Also depending on what system you're in the middle of learning, you might have anatomy lab on days you don't have omm lab. There's a lot of free time in the beginning of the year and I suggest you use it and have all the fun you can.

Our curriculum is system based. So at the end of the system there's a test or if it's a big system (like neurology) you might have three spaced out over three months. And the written test and practical are on the same day.

Oh, and all lectures are online and you can stream them whenever you want. They usually go up right away. And you can double speed it so it goes by even faster. It's the greatest thing in the world.

talati said:

Sometimes we'll have an hour lecture before lab. Classes might end early or start late depending on when in the block it is. Also depending on what system you're in the middle of learning, you might have anatomy lab on days you don't have omm lab. There's a lot of free time in the beginning of the year and I suggest you use it and have all the fun you can.

Our curriculum is system based. So at the end of the system there's a test or if it's a big system (like neurology) you might have three spaced out over three months. And the written test and practical are on the same day.

Oh, and all lectures are online and you can stream them whenever you want. They usually go up right away. And you can double speed it so it goes by even faster. It's the greatest thing in the world.
Do you only have OMM Monday and Wednesday? Or do you have classes after?

dood resp section at kcumb kicked a$$!! whoot!!!!

reading over stuff posted here, i think kcumb is cool. while classes are mandatory, there is nothing to keep track of you being there or not... so if you are feeling really bad or had something else going on you had to do, then you can do it. tell a friend to take good notes for you, or get on with notepool and you are set. plus we have a number of teachers that have extra question and answer sessions if you want them. its cool. also we do omm on tuesdays only, and it is a half day thing typically about 2-3 hrs. the entire rest of the day is normally open (sometimes with other labs on interviewing for history and physical).

we have done castings, draw blood, strep cultures, ppd tests, and of course, probably about the best pathology in any medical school in the country - yes ANY....

Is biochem,pharm,immino,behavioral, and cell bio integrated into the system based lecture from the start of first year?

talati said:

Buckeye(OH) said:
A test a week? More like two tests a week AND at least two quizzes a week + the various other bull**** they make you do in biohell workshop.

And by late afternoon, he means sometimes until 4-5 on NON-lab days.

Honestly, if you can't handle a rigorous exam schedule, CCOM is not the place for you.

agreed. i'm not sure where "one test a week" comes from...i remember weeks with 3-4 tests at CCOM during "midterms". strangely enough, "miterms" often started two weeks into the quarter and lasted until one week before finals. then we followed that up with 5-7 exams during finals week. i'd agree...CCOM has its benefits (location, rotations, reputation), but the testing schedule is rigorous. if you include practical examinations, you should plan on 20-30 tests per quarter at CCOM, in addition to weekly quizzes.

MS-I is pretty much 8-5.

MS-II

Mon: 10AM - 1PM Clinical Systems; 1PM-2PM lunch; 3PM-5PM Path or Pharm (depends on sched); 5PM-7PM Clinical Systems

Tue: 10AM - 1PM Clinical Systems; 1PM-2PM lunch; 3PM-5PM Path or Pharm (depends on sched); 5PM-7PM Clinical Systems (2/3 of the time we have a late start at 1PM)

Wed: 8AM - 10AM Primary Care Skills (PCS); 10AM - 12PM Pharm; 1PM - 5PM Physician Shadowing

Thurs: 8AM - 9AM OMM Lecture (sometimes); 9AM - 12PM OMM Lab Group1; 1PM - 2PM OMM Lecture (sometimes) if not, 1PM - 4PM OMM Lab Group 2; 4PM - 6PM Path

Fri: 8AM - 10AM Psych; 10AM - 12PM Micro/Immuno; 1PM - 2PM PCS; 2PM - 4PM Path Lab or Lect

We have A LOT of class time. OMM and PCS is pretty much required attendance.