What's up with NOVA's supplementary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished NOVA's secondary and put in a lot of time. But I'm confused because of the 24 or 25 questions many were the same as the AADSAS application questions. Also, they want us to list all the schools we applied to and only gave us enough room to write like 5 schools. I think NOVA is a great school, but their supplemental application has the SAME questions as the AADSAS questions. UPENN at least asked questions that were different, but still. I don't know, I'm just glad it is done.

Hopefully they will invite me to enjoy the Florida sun, that will be my payback for working on this supplementary.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya -- the four secondaries I've filled out thus far all have questions that were answered by the AADSAS app.

Think of it this way: the schools have to ask us something so it doesn't appear that they are simply taking our money (app. fees) and running. All the questions are asked/answered on AADSAS, but at least rephrasing or reasking the same questions gives an air of interest on the schools part.

I think they do it as a way of checking to see if your info is accurate and consistent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ItsGavinC

Think of it this way: the schools have to ask us something so it doesn't appear that they are simply taking our money (app. fees) and running

What about Case Western Reserve University???

They took our money and ran, but not for you, though. Maybe that's why they call themselves Case Western "Reserve" because its like a big bank. :rolleyes:

700 bucks for a fricken plane ticket, man...I guess I might just wait until I have two or so interviews in the same area to fly down.

DesiDentist

Desi and all other Predents
I don't know if u guys r making copies of supplementary applications, as it is gonna be of great help if u guys make copies of ur supplementary application, as the schools will interview on the basis of that, and they wanna see how committed u r to what u guys wrote in ur applications.
This is just a suggestion, and I am quite sure that u guys r already following this, but still wanna give u guys a heads up on it...
Viraj

thanks viraj!!

Viraj,

Thanks for the pointer. I'm copying my secondaries and looking over them the night before interviews. Then again, I've included the same answers on those as I have on my AADSAS app. I know the app. frontwards and backwards...

Originally posted by DesiDentist

700 bucks for a fricken plane ticket, man...I guess I might just wait until I have two or so interviews in the same area to fly down.

Desi,

Did you get an interview at Case (or "Just in Case Western" ;) )? Their literature says they interview ~ 20% of the total applicants, but I get a feeling it's higher than that.

Hey Gavin,

I haven't heard anything from Case yet. It is probably due to my incomplete file. They just have my app fee, I just submitted my recs to AADSAS, and I haven't taken my DAT yet. So I'm not surprised why I haven't heard anything from them. Anyways, I'm in no rush, with these airline tickets, might as well wait until October in order to get better domestic rates.

To Viraj,

Thanks for the pointer. I spoke to the lovely Fern yesterday and she was giving me a ton of pointers fo NOVA. She seems very lively. She was talking about giving me some candy that is sure to get me into the school.

Hey whatever works, right?

DesiDentist

Desi,

Somehow I forgot that you haven't taken the DAT yet. When you are done with that you will have a plethora of invites coming your way.

"Don't take Fern's candy!" That's what a wise man once told me.

Yeah, Nova's 2ndary was ridiculous. I spent a lot of time on the essay. Don't sweat it though. I had a nightmare dealing with it: Nova sent me a POSTGRAD secondary form. I had to call them up and request a dental secondary. When all was said and done, I sent in my secondary in late October and was invited for an interview in early Feb.

Viraj is right. They go off of your secondary more than your AADSAS app during the interviews. It seems like EVERYBODY that interviews at Nova leaves feeling that they had a good interview.

Fern has some issues. She is totally helpful with some stuff (housing), but you'll get weirded out when you go there for interviews. I hear the students there can't stand her. Go ahead and eat the candy...I did and I'm still alive.

I think its a good thing that supps are long and tedious. It shows that you really want to go to that school and filters out those who don't fill out the supp because they don't feel going to that school is not worth it.

I totally agree with you savvysearch. I hope they see how much work I put into it. Just doing an additional application makes me research the school and in the process I gain a lot out of it.

DesiDentist

did u guys attach additional sheets to the nova secondary?...because i can't fit all my info in the spaces provided and there's only one section that says 'attach additional sheet' if needed...thanks

- kulkarni

Kulkarni,

You should do whatever seems fit for you. Each applicant has a different application and includes different things. I don't think they will hold it against you if you wrote on a separate sheet.

DesiDentist