What's your favorite stimulant drug?

What's your favorite stimulant drug?

• Coffee (instant, regular, esspresso etc.)

Votes: 104 56.8%
  • Caffeine pills (nodoze etc.)

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Black-market Adderall

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • ephedrine products (strictly an internet purchase these days)

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Ginsing

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 37 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

valedictorian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
    Of course, I'm talking about study drugs, not recreational drugs. I only included the ones that I know a lot of people in medschool use. I can think of a few others that could possibly be used but havn't heard of anyone using. Anyway, the poll is anonymous. As stimulants for studying are somewhat taboo I don't expect anyone to actually make a post supporting them. So maybe the posting section of this thread could be used by those of you who oppose the use of stimulants for reasons of honor or morality. I hope some one at least points out that these things aren't exactly healthy even though they're very effective. Never mind the ethics of future doctors misusing drugs - especially the ever popular ubiquitous black-market adderall. That's a whole nother topic in itself.

About the Ads

Callogician

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    10+ Year Member
    Sep 16, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    1. Medical Student
      I try to avoid caffeine because I don't feel that it's a good long term solution. I haven't taken physiology/biochemistry yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the body upregulates phosphodiesterase to compensate for caffeine, promoting a cycle of dependency without improved mental function.

However, I do use caffeine when I am desperate due to past procrastination, and it has a profound effect on me.

Callogician

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      Sep 16, 2005
      Philadelphia, PA
      1. Medical Student
        i think diet mt. dew is a staple for a lot of people these days - you should have stuck soda/coke/pop on your poll

It's strange. I didn't know that diet mt. dew was the paragon of caffeine rich sodas until I read this thread, but when I had to cram for an exam the other day, I instinctively purchased it.

About the Ads

Antigunner

This is a chill pill.
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Oct 19, 2005
        Edmond
        1. Attending Physician
          Callogician said:
          I try to avoid caffeine because I don't feel that it's a good long term solution. I haven't taken physiology/biochemistry yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the body upregulates phosphodiesterase to compensate for caffeine, promoting a cycle of dependency without improved mental function.

However, I do use caffeine when I am desperate due to past procrastination, and it has a profound effect on me.

uhhh... I don't know what all them fancy words mean... but I do agree - I drink very little caffeine on a regular basis, so when I "Do the Dew" it works wonders :thumbup:

funshine

at the fateful hour
          10+ Year Member
          Oct 11, 2004
            I develop immunity to caffeine fast, but sudafed has worked wonders :thumbup: ...plus a side-benefit is that it helps relieve colds!

Actually, most nights I really do have to stay up, all it takes is knowing my job isn't finished. That's really all it should take, IMHO.

Ross434

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Aug 24, 2003
            1. Pharmacy Student
              valedictorian said:
              Of course, I'm talking about study drugs, not recreational drugs. I only included the ones that I know a lot of people in medschool use. I can think of a few others that could possibly be used but havn't heard of anyone using. Anyway, the poll is anonymous. As stimulants for studying are somewhat taboo I don't expect anyone to actually make a post supporting them. So maybe the posting section of this thread could be used by those of you who oppose the use of stimulants for reasons of honor or morality. I hope some one at least points out that these things aren't exactly healthy even though they're very effective. Never mind the ethics of future doctors misusing drugs - especially the ever popular ubiquitous black-market adderall. That's a whole nother topic in itself.

wow at first i totally thought you were wanting to compare like, speed vs coke, etc. :p , but, totally amphetamines all the way. recreational and when studying !

Gimlet

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
              15+ Year Member
              Nov 29, 2004
              1. Attending Physician
                cfdavid said:
                What? Doesn't everyone say pop, like us midwesterners??

Whoa, whoa, whoa...not all Midwesterners are weird and call it pop. :) Here in Milwaukee it's soda all the way. (Although we do drink out of "bubblers" instead of water fountains.)

Dr.Dijlah

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Nov 4, 2005
                Iraq-Baghdad
                1. Attending Physician
                  Green tea works for me...
                  And it’s proven beneficial in increasing concentration. As well as the red tea but
                  Green tea is relatively better...but in general I develop tolerance fast, and it doesn’t matter what I drink I want to sleep I'll still sleep!
                  So what I do I stay away from coffee till I really need it and then have it works! But at times I just become hyperactive but can't focus :(
                  I use add some herbs to my tea that are known to increase concentration it works too...
                  I take Centrum multi-vitamins I guess it works on the long run, because it contains Zinc and all.

Psychological factors definitely play the major role here!

Hi there,
                  Get some regular aerobic exercise (a brisk walk) and leave the chemicals behind. It is amazing how being in good shape can help you more with long hours than coffee, Mountain Dew or anything else.

Thirty minutes of sweat at least three times a week can do wonders. You can even listen to study tapes but it's better to just let your mind wander. You come back to your studies refreshed, stress free and ready to hone in.

njbmd :)

About the Ads

thackl

1K Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jul 9, 2003
                  Austin, TX
                    njbmd said:
                    Hi there,
                    Get some regular aerobic exercise (a brisk walk) and leave the chemicals behind. It is amazing how being in good shape can help you more with long hours than coffee, Mountain Dew or anything else.

Thirty minutes of sweat at least three times a week can do wonders. You can even listen to study tapes but it's better to just let your mind wander. You come back to your studies refreshed, stress free and ready to hone in.

njbmd :)
                    Agreed! I do cardio (b-ball, other games) and wieghts 4x/wk each. I study well, sleep better and feel good.

yellowcat322

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Jun 14, 2005
                    LA
                    1. Medical Student
                      I agree that nothing can beat getting solid sleep on a regular basis. I try to get at least 7.5-8 hrs a night (yes even the week before exam blocK) so I don't feel the general burn out like a lot of my classmates do. Of course, I also don't go to most lectures so I have plenty of time to study during the day.

akpete

Drinks, anyone?
                      10+ Year Member
                      7+ Year Member
                      Jun 15, 2004
                      Madison
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        Andy15430 said:
                        Whoa, whoa, whoa...not all Midwesterners are weird and call it pop. :) Here in Milwaukee it's soda all the way. (Although we do drink out of "bubblers" instead of water fountains.)

Hold up Andy, not all of WI says soda and "bubbler" (which I've never understood). It's good old pop in the Western part of the state and I think most of the North. Madison and Milwaukee say weird things. Bubbler...you guys are crazy. :)

brightblueeyes

10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Mar 29, 2005
                        Paris
                          At my school there are more coffee distributers than soda distributers. And the default coffees types are espressos and cappuccinos rather than American style coffee. This is definitely a coffee culture. Even the gyms have coffee distributers. :rolleyes:

Adderall sounds interesting but I can't help but hope that most Parisians stay away from it...they're already wired enough. ;)

DieselPetrolGrl

twisterChamp&so much more
                          7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                            i drink 8liters of diet coke a week at home (= only through 5 evenings) plus a few cans throughout the day

i want to sell my tounge to the coca cola corp so they can pay me to do quality control taste tests on their bottling plants

if anyone knows a hookup into that line of work....

starwisher

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Oct 21, 2005
                            1. Medical Student
                              I'm assuming people would get blackmarket adderall from someone with a perscription for it that doesn't take it but instead sells it to students to make money. It isn't that difficult to get diagnosed with ADHD to get the perscription if you know the symptoms and can fake it. Not that I recomend this, I've taken ritalin for supposed ADD (I didn't fake the symptoms, I have them although I'm not convinced that I have ADD) and don't find it helps me, I just stick with the caffeine myself. When I was on it my sister stole some of my ritalin and afterward told me that when she took it she felt as if she was on cocaine, she took like five times a normal dose or something like that though.

About the Ads

Nittany Lion

ROAR!!!!!!!!!!
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Sep 25, 2004
                                akpete said:
                                Hold up Andy, not all of WI says soda and "bubbler" (which I've never understood). It's good old pop in the Western part of the state and I think most of the North. Madison and Milwaukee say weird things. Bubbler...you guys are crazy. :)

It's "pop" in Pittsburgh, too. But go anywhere east in Pennsylvania and you get yelled at for calling it anything but soda... boooo

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                                Removed
                                15+ Year Member
                                Sep 30, 2003
                                1. Medical Student
                                  Nittany Lion said:
                                  It's "pop" in Pittsburgh, too. But go anywhere east in Pennsylvania and you get yelled at for calling it anything but soda... boooo

Pop is something that corn does when you put in the microwave.

Soda is what you put in your fridge to absorb moisture.

It's a coke.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
                                  Nov 12, 2003
                                  Florida
                                  1. Attending Physician
                                    OSUdoc08 said:
                                    Pop is something that corn does when you put in the microwave.

Soda is what you put in your fridge to absorb moisture.

It's a coke.

coke is a company, and one of its products. I never got the use of coke to be all-encompassing of sodas.

Yeah, i'll have a pepsi-coke. no, make that a rootbeer coke. hmm...maybe a sprite coke? or an orange coke? gah, that just sounds so silly.

starwisher

10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Oct 21, 2005
                                    1. Medical Student
                                      Rendar5 said:
                                      coke is a company, and one of its products. I never got the use of coke to be all-encompassing of sodas.

Yeah, i'll have a pepsi-coke. no, make that a rootbeer coke. hmm...maybe a sprite coke? or an orange coke? gah, that just sounds so silly.

I say coke when I mean any kind of cola, but not other sodas, I agree that sounds silly. I hate it when I order coke at a restaraunt and they feel the need to ask if pepsi is okay, I prefer coke but come on if I want a cola and all you got is pepsi I don't care that much. I don't know why it bothers me that much, seems a bit irrational.

Gregg

10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Jul 10, 2005
                                      Las Vegas
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        So, in the practice of Epidemiolgoy, some poor slobs got to research what people call soft drinks around the country. See link for a good county by county map. Although, if you look at southern NH and northeastern MA you'll see that 50-80% call it "soda", the rest (uncounted, like myself growing up) call it "tonic". Yes, some people have too much time on their hands.
                                        PopVsSoda map
                                        PS - I still call it a "bubbler" even though I haven't lived in New England for 13 years! :rolleyes:

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
                                        Removed
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Sep 30, 2003
                                        1. Medical Student
                                          Gregg said:
                                          So, in the practice of Epidemiolgoy, some poor slobs got to research what people call soft drinks around the country. See link for a good county by county map. Although, if you look at southern NH and northeastern MA you'll see that 50-80% call it "soda", the rest (uncounted, like myself growing up) call it "tonic". Yes, some people have too much time on their hands.
                                          PopVsSoda map
                                          PS - I still call it a "bubbler" even though I haven't lived in New England for 13 years! :rolleyes:

That's awesome

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          5+ Year Member
                                          Oct 6, 2004
                                          Australia
                                            man, i'm screwed unless i can have my 625 ml bottle of diet coke at least once a day, and preferably shore that up with a cappucino or two. this in addition to jogging. gross, huh? i think i must have spent at least $300 on soft drink machines while i was writing my thesis.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
                                            Nov 12, 2003
                                            Florida
                                            1. Attending Physician
                                              starwisher said:
                                              I say coke when I mean any kind of cola, but not other sodas, I agree that sounds silly. I hate it when I order coke at a restaraunt and they feel the need to ask if pepsi is okay, I prefer coke but come on if I want a cola and all you got is pepsi I don't care that much. I don't know why it bothers me that much, seems a bit irrational.

haha, yeah, i agree. always annoying, "sorry, we only have pepsi." Then get me the damn pepsi!

odrade1

UASOM alum
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Nov 4, 2005
                                              Planetary
                                              1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                Rendar5 said:

People in the deep south refer to carbonated beverages as cokes, but we would never use the term the way you described. It's more like:
                                                Mom: are you thirsty?
                                                Kid: Yeah, I'll have a coke.
                                                Mom: What kind?
                                                Kid: Dr. Pepper.

Never: that's a Dr. Pepper coke, or sprite coke. Someone here might say oarnge coke, though.

About the Ads
                                                This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                7. This thread is locked.