What's your most unique or unusual EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skrolls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Most unique/unusual: Vice president of my school's Krav Maga club. Especially since a lot of people don't know what Krav Maga is (it's an Israeli martial art).

Most important to me personally (also rather unique, I think): Marching band/pep band member and section leader.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Most unique and most important: spend the year fundraising and training for the Susan G. Komen 3 day walk which was last weekend. Our walking crew usually fundraises about $80,000 each year, then we walk 60 miles over 3 days to raise awareness for Breast Cancer.

Its a family tradition/legacy. My grandfather has been doing it for 15 years, my mom for 3, my dad for 4, and this was my 2nd year.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Mine's more of a hobby. I enjoy challenging myself to take longer naps. 22 hours is the record for this year, but I hope to beat it soon.

Reactions: 30 users

I actually got into making soap early in my college career thanks to a coworker who showed me the process, and I actually sell some small amounts of my soap at our local farmer's market during the summer.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh really? What did you play?

I mostly played bass when gigging, with the occasional guitar or drums spot. For sessions, I played bass, guitar, drums, piano, mandolin, balalaika, some harmonica, and the occasional vocals.

ETA: I ended up playing drums in the marching band for my boot camp division. How I got roped into that is actually a pretty funny story.

Last edited:
I'm not that unique, but one of my main hobbies is crafting. I've been thinking of taking up candle and soap making and maybe finally opening an etsy shop. If I do end up doing that I'll probably donate some of the proceeds to a charity I like. Honestly, I just want to sell them to fund my crafting urges, lol. Craft supplies can be so expensive x_x

I'm also a big baker. I do that a lot at home as well as at the soup kitchen I volunteer at.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a semi professional team roper who competes in rodeos. I compete weekly, give lessons, and train horses. During my first interview, I talked about roping for 3/4 of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

underwater basketweaving

It's a real thing.

Not mine, but my roommate in college was a shark feeder/caretaker at a world renowned zoo throughout college and for a year after. Probably the most interesting EC I've heard of that wasn't just a hobby.

I'm a white male in my 20s.
That's as unique as I've got.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Founded an investment club that manages several thousand dollars as a bio major with no official financial experience or education

Toured the east coast drumming for a popular reggae band.
What type of investing strategy does the club use value, arbitrage, momentum, HFT, growth and where does it play ? Forex, fixed income, stocks, private equity, commodities, real estate?

Worked commercial fishing for about 6 months total, only white English speaker there.

Also a military sniper. Definitely talked about that a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
e-sports?
i was only a kid in high school when i was hitting my stride but yeah.

(un)fortunately i dropped it once in college though the industry is so much bigger now.

i say fortunately because it was more of an addiction than a passion during a darker time of my life

Worked as an assistant manager at a pizza restaurant. Believe it or not, it was very useful during interviews when they'd ask me about teamwork, leadership, handling issues, interpersonal stuff, etc.

I licked a tootsie pop once...

ONCE

I don't know if I can really weave this into an application but I maintain and modify 80s Scandinavian vehicles. I have a 275 horsepower wagon and another with an adapted 5-speed from a Fox body Mustang GT.

I don't know if I can really weave this into an application but I maintain and modify 80s Scandinavian vehicles. I have a 275 horsepower wagon and another with an adapted 5-speed from a Fox body Mustang GT.

That's similar to one of mine. Starting since I got my provisional license (17) I've been doing HPDE's (track days) at various tracks in the northeast and midwest area. Aside from kart racers, I'm one of the youngest I know that has delved deep into this hobby, considering 16 is the bare minimum age you can do DEs (in a FULL sized car and not a go-kart). Thankfully my family's situation affords me the opportunity to waste money on this hobby, but it's definitely taught me a few lessons that can be applied to real life and not just cars.

I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail after undergrad. It's been brought up and talked about for at least 15 minutes during every interview that I've had.
I am interviewing for residencies, and believe me it will come up again then too. For whatever reason, admissions people are fascinated by folks who ran away into the woods for months at a time. Even if it happened years ago.

I am interviewing for residencies, and believe me it will come up again then too. For whatever reason, admissions people are fascinated by folks who ran away into the woods for months at a time. Even if it happened years ago.

Well that's great to know! I could talk about it for hours haha

Well, my parents died when I was young, so I grew up with relatives, but right before middle school started, I got accepted to this school for people with special talents. I had to face a lot of hardships there, but those all paled in comparison to the time when my mentor died, because we had become very close. Then I had to battle this evil wiz--I mean man, this bad man, and, I don't want to brag, but I saved the world.

Reactions: 6 users
Scientific Illustrator/Artist

Ya can't steal my idea since it requires skillz :D

Well, my parents died when I was young, so I grew up with relatives, but right before middle school started, I got accepted to this school for people with special talents. I had to face a lot of hardships there, but those all paled in comparison to the time when my mentor died, because we had become very close. Then I had to battle this evil wiz--I mean man, this bad man, and, I don't want to brag, but I saved the world.

Batman? Magneto? Is that you?

eh not many. I have 1.5 years experience as a loan servicing paralegal. I guess thats maybe(?) unique for a med applicant