This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotASerialKiller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't get accepted (or for those in med school, if your school finds out about that thing you did in 2013) what other career will you pursue? I've heard it's a good idea to have that worked out, but personally all my eggs were in the medicine basket. The only other thing on the horizon for me was an existential crisis.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Plan B distracts from plan A. But if I hadn't gotten in I probably would have joined the military, something about a ghillie suit and a rifle appeals to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Levonorgestrel

Reactions: 9 users
I would either go back into the food industry or give programming a legitimate shot.

I would use my physics degree to try and apply for a masters program in health physics or medical physics

I'd become a hippy. I'd buy a van and road trip all around the States and wake up to the beach. Work odd jobs and try to enjoy life, because the years of undergrad have already been so draining.

Reactions: 7 users
My most likely plan B is to go into nursing and become trauma nurse.

Alternate plan Bs:
-PA
-PT and PT (both physical therapy or personal trainer)
-podiatrist ( not really my favorite...)
-optomertrist
-military
-police officer
-firefighter
- if anyone else has some good ideas,im all ears!

My most likely plan B is to go into nursing and become trauma nurse.

Alternate plan Bs:
-PA
-PT and PT (both physical therapy or personal trainer)
-podiatrist ( not really my favorite...)
-optomertrist
-military
-police officer
-firefighter
- if anyone else has some good ideas,im all ears!
Just curious, ho does one go about becoming a personal trainer? Could you possibly use this as an EC for reapplication? (Actually this is something I wish I did had I thought of it earlier)

Healthcare consulting (I majored in business, so I guess that might help). Maybe apply to medical schools again in the next cycle, depending on how things are going

Reactions: 1 user
stick back to psychology by applying for master's

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could never be a doctor for whatever reason, I would probably want to be a college professor.

If you don't get accepted (or for those in med school, if your school finds out about that thing you did in 2013) what other career will you pursue? I've heard it's a good idea to have that worked out, but personally all my eggs were in the medicine basket. The only other thing on the horizon for me was an existential crisis.

Well I was about to say my alternative would be to become an electric guitarist and form a rock band that plays songs about medicine....

.... but looking at your tags, I'm leaning towards becoming postal worker as a day job, sexy fireman for any emergencies, politician as a side career, and a gravedigger for a night shift :p (and I know some classy prostitutes around too but that's a story for another day :naughty:).

Well I was about to say my alternative would be to become an electric guitarist and form a rock band that plays songs about medicine....

.... but looking at your tags, I'm leaning towards becoming postal worker as a day job, sexy fireman for any emergencies, politician as a side career, and a gravedigger for a night shift :p (and I know some classy prostitutes around too but that's a story for another day :naughty:).

Oh you can go beyond that list, those are just the careers that at one point or another I considered when I was a kid.

"classy prostitute" lol

Clinical psychology

I've considered PhD... for probably biochemistry (ie. nutritional biochemistry) or systems biology/computational, quantitave biology
OR
Get into the healthcare/biotech startup field in West Coast, maybe Seattle, etc.

I have multiple back up plans in case my first cycle doesn't work out. The back up plans involve addressing weaknesses in my app. It really is medicine or bust for me.

I would be willing to consider a career in dentistry and public health though.

Last edited:
I often think about this. If, God forbid, I burn out or things go awry with medicine, I would go either into academics (on the HS or UG level) or some sort of business-related field in the corporate, nonprofit/humanitarian, or healthcare field. I would still want to open a restaurant and soup kitchen someday, too. I would also consider pursuing public policy and law.

There's so much I genuinely want to do with so little time...

Build racecars. Open a smol quality mechanic shop. Have kids and teach them how to rev match. Watch anime with my wife and visit Japan.

Lots to do.

In reality? Podiatry, good career with solid salary and good hours and I'm fairly positive I could get in. My wife sometimes suggests this actually.

But if that didn't work out I would get a black friend named magic head and watch the news to pick up on cues from the suspects and solve tons of murders; when the cops get suspicious I would just tell them that I was a psychic and my friend was my side kick.

But if that didn't work out I would get a black friend named magic head and watch the news to pick up on cues from the suspects and solve tons of murders; when the cops get suspicious I would just tell them that I was a psychic and my friend was my side kick.

What?

Just curious, ho does one go about becoming a personal trainer? Could you possibly use this as an EC for reapplication? (Actually this is something I wish I did had I thought of it earlier)

its easy.just take a course by an accredited program, pass the test,boom your a licensed PT, next, find a commercial gym and work for them.Then you can branch off after some time and do your own thing.

Plan B means plan A won't work and I refuse to accept that.

I wouldn't have chosen existential crisis, but I got that anyway. If I really never would have gotten in any other career would have had to be a serious departure from anything in health care. For me, I mean you can't be so close like that but not have it...that'd be too much

In reality? Podiatry, good career with solid salary and good hours and I'm fairly positive I could get in. My wife sometimes suggests this actually.

I am re-watching Psych (again), lurking on sdn and when I read this I got really excited haha.

Take the CFA exams, after the MCAT how hard can it be?

With how much debt I've got, the only way out at this point would be the coward's way. I say that in complete seriousness- there is only one way once you're in, and that is forward. If it turns out it was a mistake, you'll need to practice for many, many years to dig your way out of the debt before you can pack up and call it quits. It's pretty awful- I wonder how many lives have been ruined because there was no way out, no way but forward to go. I like it though, so here's to hoping things keep going well.

Reactions: 3 users
PA or travel nursing.
This would only be utilized in the event of several cycles and after I've made full attempts to correct my application weaknesses.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

ER nurse, or a forensics guy

I've always been good at math, and would be interested a degree in actuarial science. I mean I reserved the next 4 years to be in medical school, so it's not like I'm holding my life back by getting another degree :shrug:

As of now medical school is my plan B. Medical school might go back to plan A (I'm always so indecisive). I want to see if I can get a pilot slot for the Air Force in a few years (after turning 29 you can't apply for it anymore). If I get to fly an f-15 or a-10 that would be dope.

Either get a PhD in Psych/Neuroscience/Systems Biology and try to become a Uni Professor or get my MS in Data Science or CS and try to find a data science job in which I still feel like I contribute to society. At least my undergrad degree is versatile.

On another note, I took the LSAT and aced it so technically Law is not out of the question, though legal jobs that pay well seem really boring.

Realistic: become an epidemiologist, podiatrist, or a nurse. Something that still ties me to healthcare.

Unrealistic: open a pastry shop and work in some national park as a park employee. Baking and hiking all the time, can't get any better than that.

Realistic: become an epidemiologist, podiatrist, or a nurse. Something that still ties me to healthcare.

Unrealistic: open a pastry shop and work in some national park as a park employee. Baking and hiking all the time, can't get any better than that.

Being a forest ranger would be sweet too. I agree that anything outdoors all the time would be a great gig

With how much debt I've got, the only way out at this point would be the coward's way. I say that in complete seriousness- there is only one way once you're in, and that is forward. If it turns out it was a mistake, you'll need to practice for many, many years to dig your way out of the debt before you can pack up and call it quits. It's pretty awful- I wonder how many lives have been ruined because there was no way out, no way but forward to go. I like it though, so here's to hoping things keep going well.
Couldn't you pack up and flee the country?