What's your Psych Specialization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted276313

I'm just wonder what people would like to specialize in within their psychology degrees. I personally am aiming for a specialization in abnormal psychology, but more specifically psychotic disorders since I suffer from one ( >.< ) :) .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get married to anything yet frosh, or ill stuff you in the lockers...:laugh: kiddding

I would stongly encourage newbie undergrads who are seriously interested in pursuing pych beyond the undergrad level to get rid of this notion for the first couple of years. Plus it will probably change anyway. You are probably not gonn have any formal "specializations" during undergrad anyway. Concentrate on getting a good, broad, and basic understanding of the scientific study of psychology in all areas. You are probably not gonn have any formal "specializations" during undergrad anyway. Volunteer with 2-3 or more different professors/labs so you can get experience with more than one approach and type of research design, experience diffferent academic personalities, and hopefully, experience different areas of psych all together. After that, then you can stick with one area if it seems to illicit your passion and suits you best.

In undergrad, I did mostly alcohol related aggression, and the personality factors that influence who would become aggressive when intoxicated. Embedded in all this was some of the neuroscience behind intoxiation and chronic drinking. This led to an interest in neuropsychology. I am in now in my fourth year of my ph.d (took two year break from school to work as a psychometrist and research assistant in a neuropsych clinic before I started) and have specilized mostly in geriatric neuropsychology (dementias, etc.) and psychotherapy with older adults.

Last edited:
Personally, I am looking at a clinical interest in severe psychopathology (eg, psychotic, dissociative, extreme mood, and personality disorders) and an interest in comorbid with criminal activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dd

Last edited:
I personally am looking to specializing in Clinical Psychology, it's possible I could change my mind but I highly doubt knowing how I am about things that are serious to me. My Major is Psychology right now in my undergrad studies,but my minor is heavy in prepping for pharmacy.