When and how many times to take MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mavs88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here and need some advice. I looked at older threads too but couldn't really find an answer.

I've been in college two years but went away from premed for one year in which I didn't take any sciences...biggest waste of my life on the surface but it eventually made me realize how much I really want to pursue pre-med.

So, at this point I'm taking 3 more years to complete premed reqs and my major at new university i just transferred to. Means I will be applying for med schools 2 years from now and will have to take MCAT in there somewhere.

For reference here is my planned science/math course load for next two years:
(my school does biochem in 3 parts...each a 3 hr course)

13-14 -
Fall: ochem, bio 1, cal 1
Spring: ochem2, bio2, cal2, maybe A&P
summer: physics 1 and 2, stats.

14-15 -
Fall: Genetics, Analytical chem, Microbio, intro biochem(3 hrs)
Spring: biochem part 2 and 3, biochem lab course, advanced pathology elective

Spring/Summer 2015 = Applications.

So traditionally, people would take it January '15 and study the semester beforehand?

What if I wanted to take the MCAT twice on purpose...like in that summer after Physics 1 and 2, I take it and study for it in the summer....but also plan to take it again in the upcoming january.

Also, that'd be 2014 vs. 2015 MCAT which I'm hearing have some differences?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I know so far:
The 2015 MCAT
-Will have a sociology/psychology section.
-Will take longer to complete.
-Biochemistry will be heavily involved.
The 2014 MCAT
-You get an amazon gift card, right guys?
-No essay portion
-All BS, PS, and VR

If you are to take it during the 2015 season I advice you choose the January - April block. This way you can get your scores on time before the application period starts!

Viel Glück!:thumbup:

You really do not want to retake the MCAT unless you have to. It is looked down upon. Even if you do significantly better the second time AdComs may take it that you did not take the test as seriously as you should have. So really plan to take it once and only take it if you truly feel prepared for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really do not want to retake the MCAT unless you have to. It is looked down upon. Even if you do significantly better the second time AdComs may take it that you did not take the test as seriously as you should have. So really plan to take it once and only take it if you truly feel prepared for it.
Thanks..I figured it wouldn't be ideal to take it more than once.

Question though...how will adcomms compare MCATs for applicants that have taken it in different years? Like if I take it in 2015 and someone with the same score and stats takes it in 2013 or 14...will they be weighted or am I just looking into it too hard?

Question though...how will adcomms compare MCATs for applicants that have taken it in different years? Like if I take it in 2015 and someone with the same score and stats takes it in 2013 or 14...will they be weighted or am I just looking into it too hard?

Since it will be during such a time of transition for the MCAT, it is hard to say but I cannot imagine AdComs penalizing anyone for taking one version or another, so what I recommend is study for it as if you are going to take it in 2014. If you are not adequately prepared when the time rolls around, put it of but continue to work hard to prepare for the new, 2015 test. Just make sure you go into the test with confidence feeling like you have done the best to prepare that you can.

overthinking.

Since it will be during such a time of transition for the MCAT, it is hard to say but I cannot imagine AdComs penalizing anyone for taking one version or another, so what I recommend is study for it as if you are going to take it in 2014. If you are not adequately prepared when the time rolls around, put it of but continue to work hard to prepare for the new, 2015 test. Just make sure you go into the test with confidence feeling like you have done the best to prepare that you can.

Thanks for the advice...so I'll probably study summer and fall as well as winter break before january test. Is it confirmed that the January test is the new one? I read somewhere on SDN in an old thread it was still old one...

Anyone know if they will have 2015 study material and guides available in 2014?

So looked up some more stuff at found that January 2015 will be last time old MCAT is given.

In my situation, if were to prepare for that test...wouldn't it be horrible to get a subpar score and have to retake but for the retake it's a brand new test?

Would I be better off taking it in September 2014 after studying all summer? That way if retake is needed, I could take it in January 2015...thoughts? will have ochem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, biology 1 and 2, maybe an A&P and genetics class too done by then. Would also have taken microbiology and some biochem by the Januarry 2015 test...

Never plan to retake, the end.

Can you? Sure.

Will it kill your chances? No.

Though if you had a borderline score sub 30 and hit that 30 mark on your " real" test, it probably won't come across as significant, and just a "good day" for you.

Ex. 27 on 1st, 30 on second... They would see that as your range with 30 as the peak/luck. There is slightly more gray area with just a single 30

Never plan to retake, the end.

Can you? Sure.

Will it kill your chances? No.

Though if you had a borderline score sub 30 and hit that 30 mark on your " real" test, it probably won't come across as significant, and just a "good day" for you.

Ex. 27 on 1st, 30 on second... They would see that as your range with 30 as the peak/luck. There is slightly more gray area with just a single 30

I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to take the new MCAT for a retake. But gives me motivation to do study that much more for the first one to avoid retaking at all.

Thanks

I'm a newbie here and need some advice. I looked at older threads too but couldn't really find an answer.

I've been in college two years but went away from premed for one year in which I didn't take any sciences...biggest waste of my life on the surface but it eventually made me realize how much I really want to pursue pre-med.

So, at this point I'm taking 3 more years to complete premed reqs and my major at new university i just transferred to. Means I will be applying for med schools 2 years from now and will have to take MCAT in there somewhere.

For reference here is my planned science/math course load for next two years:
(my school does biochem in 3 parts...each a 3 hr course)

13-14 -
Fall: ochem, bio 1, cal 1
Spring: ochem2, bio2, cal2, maybe A&P
summer: physics 1 and 2, stats.

14-15 -
Fall: Genetics, Analytical chem, Microbio, intro biochem(3 hrs)
Spring: biochem part 2 and 3, biochem lab course, advanced pathology elective

Spring/Summer 2015 = Applications.

So traditionally, people would take it January '15 and study the semester beforehand?

What if I wanted to take the MCAT twice on purpose...like in that summer after Physics 1 and 2, I take it and study for it in the summer....but also plan to take it again in the upcoming january.

Also, that'd be 2014 vs. 2015 MCAT which I'm hearing have some differences?

Any advice would be appreciated!

How many times: ONCE!
When: When YOU are READY.

[/Thread]

How many times: ONCE!
When: When YOU are READY.

[/Thread]

:thumbup:
I took the May 30th MCAT and was so glad I did. I would have bombed one any earlier. You have to take it when it works for you. Remember this process is a marathon and not a sprint.