When do you usually apply for med school and take mcats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

missrv

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know i have a very long road ahead of me. but i was wondering, if I plan to graduate spring 2018 and hope to enter med school fall 2018, should i take the mcat spring 2017 and do my med school applications summer 2o17? so something like this

spring 2017: MCAT
summer 2017: amcas application
Spring 2018: Graduate
Fall 2018: Start Med school>?
 
I know i have a very long road ahead of me. but i was wondering, if I plan to graduate spring 2018 and hope to enter med school fall 2018, should i take the mcat spring 2017 and do my med school applications summer 2o17? so something like this

spring 2017: MCAT
summer 2017: amcas application
Spring 2018: Graduate
Fall 2018: Start Med school>?
Yes, that timeline is possible, but it's not the only way to do it. Mine was:
Spring 2014: Graduate
Winter 2015: MCAT
Summer 2015: AMCAS
Summer/Fall 2016: Start med school
And if I didn't get in this year, that timeline would be even longer. Just depends on your level of readiness - apply when your application is at its strongest!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your plan looks similar to mine when I applied. I did take my MCAT earlier though, I wanted to be sure I had time to retake if I needed.
 
Your plan works. I know people who took the MCAT the summer after their sophomore year and then applied the summer after their junior year. If you are planning to take a gap year, then that will make things a bit more flexible. MCAT scores are generally valid for three years.
 
what it look bad if i were to take it twice?

Depends on whether or not you improved significantly. If you improved significantly, it won't look bad. Otherwise, it doesn't reflect positively. Keep in mind that medical schools see all MCAT scores. Unlike the SAT/ACT, you don't have the option to select which scores you want to send.