When is everyone submitting SFMatch this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColorblindBat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on past threads, it seems like mid-August is a good target date. I'm still waiting for a letter to come in, so I was wondering if I submitted by mid-next week would it still be distributed in the first batch?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to make anyone panic... but the first batches of applications have been released to the programs from SF Match (full disclosure, I am a program coordinator). So far I've gained access to about 140 of the roughly 250 that show as being received/in process on our portal. So it does take some time for SF Match to process everything.

Seriously, try not to panic. A few programs have really early deadlines. A few have fairly late deadlines. Many are mid-September to early October. We don't get your MSPE letter until the week of October 1, so while some programs have earlier interview dates, many will bunch up interviews in October and November after they get a look at that MSPE.

Also keep in mind that not all interview offers from a program necessarily go out all at once. Some do batches of offers a few days or even a couple weeks apart. Not always because some candidates are "A list" and some are "B list", but often because it helps the program coordinator manage the schedules (remember some of us with larger programs interview a LOT of candidates!) and hopefully avoid too many "no that date is no longer available" responses.

Finally - good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd just like to add this in case anyone might benefit from this thread in future application cycles.

The SF Match "Target Date" of early September is totally bogus. I honestly don't know why they even list it. It is a disservice to applicants, especially considering that a not-insignificant number of med schools don't have a lot of ophtho applicants and/or advisors who can convey good application advice. So, here's my advice.

Basically, submit as early as you can. The application opens in June. Try to submit in June or July. Ideally, you would have your letters requested by March or April to give your writers enough time. Your personal statement and CV would be finalized around that time so you can submit them with your LOR requests.

Unfortunately, because of the SF Match's early match, the way that away rotations and med school calendars are organized does NOT allow for the possibility of doing rotations early enough that you can obtain letters to submit with your application. Is it worth it to delay submission until you've received letters from 1-2 away rotations? I don't know, it's a bit of a gamble (you're assuming that your rotation will result in a letter at all), it depends on the individual applicant.

During this process, it helps to have an advisor who JUST went through the process. That can be an M4 (who just matched at the last cycle) or PGY-1 (recent grad from your med school). See if your student affairs office can put you in contact with that person. If they're willing, it helps to have someone you can text/email when little questions come up, since the Student Affairs office may be unfamiliar with the SF Match's unique considerations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd just like to add this in case anyone might benefit from this thread in future application cycles.

The SF Match "Target Date" of early September is totally bogus. I honestly don't know why they even list it. It is a disservice to applicants, especially considering that a not-insignificant number of med schools don't have a lot of ophtho applicants and/or advisors who can convey good application advice. So, here's my advice.

Basically, submit as early as you can. The application opens in June. Try to submit in June or July. Ideally, you would have your letters requested by March or April to give your writers enough time. Your personal statement and CV would be finalized around that time so you can submit them with your LOR requests.

Unfortunately, because of the SF Match's early match, the way that away rotations and med school calendars are organized does NOT allow for the possibility of doing rotations early enough that you can obtain letters to submit with your application. Is it worth it to delay submission until you've received letters from 1-2 away rotations? I don't know, it's a bit of a gamble (you're assuming that your rotation will result in a letter at all), it depends on the individual applicant.

During this process, it helps to have an advisor who JUST went through the process. That can be an M4 (who just matched at the last cycle) or PGY-1 (recent grad from your med school). See if your student affairs office can put you in contact with that person. If they're willing, it helps to have someone you can text/email when little questions come up, since the Student Affairs office may be unfamiliar with the SF Match's unique considerations.

I disagree with your assertion that you should apply in June or July. Mid to late August is perfectly fine. I applied in mid August and received upwards of 30 interviews. I do agree that it's helpful to get advice from people who recently went through the process.

Fair enough. I didn't have any advisors at my school (no one had even applied to ophtho in the past 4-5 years, and we didn't have a department). I did an away at a top-tier place with a robust ophtho department, so any advice/guidance they gave me, I took to heart. Their PD was horrified that, as of mid-August, I still hadn't submitted.

The point still stands that a "target date" of September is still way too late, and applying as early as possible is the goal.

Applying "too early" will never hurt anything. Applying too late, especially if youre not a 5 star applicant, can be devastating.

Sure. However, this process already evokes enough anxiety without medical students thinking they need to have their application submitted in June or July.