-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
When is too late to apply to DO schools?
Started by JLeBling
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You are still early in the cycle... To back that up a little bit, I believe my school has only received 10-15% of the applications they ultimately expect.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are only 6 weeks into the cycle......

Omg chill. Still way too early. Especially since AACOMAS cycle runs longer than aamc. You'd be running late around Dec/JanI am wondering if it is too late to apply to DO schools?
I have done my AMCAS. I am wondering if it is worth it to do AACOMAS as well?
Now is fine; January is definitely pushing it.
I am wondering if it is too late to apply to DO schools?
I have done my AMCAS. I am wondering if it is worth it to do AACOMAS as well?
So a November mcat is kinda ok still? Assuming you are verified and all....?
.
Last edited:
I've got great LORs. Excellent ECs but a 3.4 gpa :/ so idk. It's either Oct 25 or Nov 7 mcat...<br/>A November MCAT is kind of late, but not too late. As I said earlier, I did a Feb. application and still got accepted, so it's not impossible. It just significantly lowers your chances. If you have decent stats, then November is okay.
This does depend somewhat on school though, as my school tries to fill its class by December (and recommends finishing secondaries by late August). Just make sure you know the timelines for the schools you're applying to.A November MCAT is kind of late, but not too late. As I said earlier, I did a Feb. application and still got accepted, so it's not impossible. It just significantly lowers your chances. If you have decent stats, then November is okay.
All schools try to fill by December. When I sent my secondaries out last year, all the schools were already full. Hence the deferred acceptance.This does depend somewhat on school though, as my school tries to fill its class by December (and recommends finishing secondaries by late August). Just make sure you know the timelines for the schools you're applying to.
Last year I applied mid October and got in! I probably lessened my chances with many schools but I'm happy where I got in 🙂 You should start working on your AACOMAS stat
November is late, but you still stand a good chance if your app is solid. As was noted here, even February apps can get admitted if they're the right fit. I think most of my apps were complete in late September to early October and I had a great cycle. The only schools I feel I really hurt my chances with were PCOM and NYCOM.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My AACOMAS is done. Just need a mcat. Giving myself a few months to study to get as close as possible to a 30. Right now 4 months out I'm getting scores of 8 to 9 across the board. So let's see.
I just submitted my AACOMAS, am I still considered early?
Does school start in January or after the summer?All schools try to fill by December. When I sent my secondaries out last year, all the schools were already full. Hence the deferred acceptance.
All the schools I know schools start in June, July, or August. The above poster is incorrect in asserting that most schools fill by December... as most are still interviewing well into the beginning of the year (September - March) and most accept from October through May and then off of waitlists until the beginning of their school year.
My point earlier was that not all schools are exactly the same in the timeline, but that mine is a bit more unusual than most because acceptances are made based solely on primary & secondary applications (i.e., there is no interview process so the season moves quickly). We also begin in June, which is the earliest of any school I know. Point being: know the quirks of the schools you're applying to.
My point earlier was that not all schools are exactly the same in the timeline, but that mine is a bit more unusual than most because acceptances are made based solely on primary & secondary applications (i.e., there is no interview process so the season moves quickly). We also begin in June, which is the earliest of any school I know. Point being: know the quirks of the schools you're applying to.
Last edited:
Well I applied in February, so, no, obviously schools don't start in January. Many people still have their spring semester leftDoes school start in January or after the summer?
No.If I applied the second week of August, would I be late for NYCOM? Thanks.
G
gibranmd2
i received rejections from MD schools, and was thinking of taking the jan 28th mcat...can i still apply this cycle for DO schools?
Most school interview into March. I know LECOM does.
Yes you can. I'm going to do the same thing.i received rejections from MD schools, and was thinking of taking the jan 28th mcat...can i still apply this cycle for DO schools?
If it has snowed south of the mason-dixon....you are late....and its slim pickings....
G
gibranmd2
would the march 31 mcat be too late? can i submit apps and report the score as it comes?Yes you can. I'm going to do the same thing.
would the march 31 mcat be too late? can i submit apps and report the score as it comes?
Yes that would be too late. Latest that they accept MCAT scores is January.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
My AACOMAS is done. Just need a mcat. Giving myself a few months to study to get as close as possible to a 30. Right now 4 months out I'm getting scores of 8 to 9 across the board. So let's see.
Why does your sig say dream do school 2020
edit: ive been duped lololol sorry bro was confused. 2014 post

Why does your sig say dream do school 2020
edit: ive been duped lololol sorry bro was confused. 2014 post![]()
lol No worries. Hope you got into your "Dream" DO School.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to 27 MD schools and have only gotten 2 interviews and 15 rejections so far. 3.62 science GPA 515 MCAT. Trying to figure out my best course of action, is it too late you think to apply to some DO schools now? Or should I just wait and reapply? Does anyone know if applying now and getting rejected will hurt my chances of getting into DO schools next cycle?
Starting to get really nervous, I just really want to be a doctor!
Starting to get really nervous, I just really want to be a doctor!
Have you heard back from the interviews? It's only 2/3 of the way through the cycle for most MD schools. You have a bit more time. Now is late, but not too late. January would be really late.I applied to 27 MD schools and have only gotten 2 interviews and 15 rejections so far. 3.62 science GPA 515 MCAT. Trying to figure out my best course of action, is it too late you think to apply to some DO schools now? Or should I just wait and reapply? Does anyone know if applying now and getting rejected will hurt my chances of getting into DO schools next cycle?
Starting to get really nervous, I just really want to be a doctor!
sounds like you really just wanna be an MDI applied to 27 MD schools and have only gotten 2 interviews and 15 rejections so far. 3.62 science GPA 515 MCAT. Trying to figure out my best course of action, is it too late you think to apply to some DO schools now? Or should I just wait and reapply? Does anyone know if applying now and getting rejected will hurt my chances of getting into DO schools next cycle?
Starting to get really nervous, I just really want to be a doctor!
How?? It sounds like they really want to be a doctor, which is what they stated.sounds like you really just wanna be an MD
When you submit the application and a pop-up says "It is too late to apply to DO schools"
I was thinking of applying to DO now also, by the end of this month. I'm not sure if it's too late, but I really don't want to have to reapply next cycle.
Don't any of you apply now, wait till next cycle. You don't want to end up at LUCOM this year when you could be at KCU next year instead. Patience is a virtue!
Yes -- don't take MCAT until you're ready!I was looking at taking the MCAT on July 28th, but am worried my score won't be where it needs to be. Is it smart to delay it for a few weeks and end up finishing applying in mid-September. Some people have told me that is too late but I'm not sure.
I applied in November (transcript mistake that took FOREVER to fix) and got 7 DO II of 11 applied to with average stats. You can also submit with MCAT score pending so AACOMAS app verifies while waiting for score
Wow that's interesting I thought that percentage would be much higher.You are still early in the cycle... To back that up a little bit, I believe my school has only received 10-15% of the applications they ultimately expect.
Posting on behalf of my significant other who doesn't have an sdn account. I'm actually a pgy3 so I'm far removed from all of this. My SO was hoping to submit in October or November to verify but is thinking of taking the Jan 2018 mcat to try to apply for those schools that have march or April deadline. He's also considering the last mcat date in 2018 but he only has about 1.5 months to study and he's worried about not doing good well. Thoughts ? If he takes it in September, he will definitely be doing an mcat course.
Most people on here will recommend the later MCAT and apply next cycle (2018-2019).Posting on behalf of my significant other who doesn't have an sdn account. I'm actually a pgy3 so I'm far removed from all of this. My SO was hoping to submit in October or November to verify but is thinking of taking the Jan 2018 mcat to try to apply for those schools that have march or April deadline. He's also considering the last mcat date in 2018 but he only has about 1.5 months to study and he's worried about not doing good well. Thoughts ? If he takes it in September, he will definitely be doing an mcat course.
Did you complete the entire app by mid oct or only submitted primary?Last year I applied mid October and got in! I probably lessened my chances with many schools but I'm happy where I got in 🙂 You should start working on your AACOMAS stat
Is it too late to apply DO now? I am submitting my primary in a few days 3.4 cgpa 3.7 sGPA 501 mcat. My scores and transcripts already were received.
Is it too late to apply DO now? I am submitting my primary in a few days 3.4 cgpa 3.7 sGPA 501 mcat. My scores and transcripts already were received.
We have similar stats, my friend. I say apply ASAP and get the secondaries in before the end of this month if possible. Apply broadly and I think you should be ok. This was the advice given to me by Goro!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trying to get into NYCOM... hope they won't mind... well doesn't it take like 2 weeks at least for primaries to be verified? That would mean secondaries wouldn't be done until early novWe have similar stats, my friend. I say apply ASAP and get the secondaries in before the end of this month if possible. Apply broadly and I think you should be ok. This was the advice given to me by Goro!
When you submit the application and a pop-up says "It is too late to apply to DO schools"
This would be perfect haha
Trying to get into NYCOM... hope they won't mind... well doesn't it take like 2 weeks at least for primaries to be verified? That would mean secondaries wouldn't be done until early nov
It shouldn't take too long considering we are later in the cycle. I would try to get it in asap and just knock out the secondaries as they come.
good luck my friend!
got verified a week ago... 3.37 cGPA 3.84 sGPA 501(128,121,128,124). submitted my LECOM secondaries last week and am submitting NYCOM in a day or two... Really hope I get interviews at these schools.
My MD letter isnt going to be in for at least a week though, does this hurt my chances? I'll also be getting a DO letter in like two weeks, but I just wanted to send my app out there beforehand.
My MD letter isnt going to be in for at least a week though, does this hurt my chances? I'll also be getting a DO letter in like two weeks, but I just wanted to send my app out there beforehand.
It's still fine to apply now, but c'mon, get those apps out already!Is it too late to apply DO now? I am submitting my primary in a few days 3.4 cgpa 3.7 sGPA 501 mcat. My scores and transcripts already were received.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 4K