When Should I Apply to PTCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePTatUofO13

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wondering what advice you have in regards to when is the best time to apply to PTCAS? I keep hearing that applying early is best but what constitutes as "early"? Also what programs have rolling admissions?

I also still have yet to take the GRE. I am thinking about taking it either in late July or early August. Since I will be taking it after the PTCAS application opens, should I wait to submit my application until after I have taken the GRE, or do you suggest submitting my application and then just adding my GRE scores once I've taken it?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly you want to start PTCAS as soon as it opens up. It is more time consuming then you may think, and it takes them between 2-4 weeks to process your GPA and all that. For mine, it took 8 weeks because PTCAS was slow during my cycle and had everyone apply the same week. So you want to have as much as you can done right away. And then you can submit those GRE scores, which takes about 2 weeks after the exam to receive the final results, and another 2-4 weeks to be sent and received to each school. But get everything else done first, try and take that GRE as soon as possible compared to waiting so that if you don't get your desired scores, you can take it again and study where you did worse.

As you said you've heard, apply as early as possible. Try to have it submitted in August. Ask the people you're getting LORs from before the application to give them a heads up, and then send them out right when the applications opens. Most of the time it'll take a little while for all of those to come in.

As for programs with rolling admissions, go to the directory page for each school you're interested in and scroll to the bottom. It will say if they're rolling or not. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow thank you so much you guys! Very helpful info!

I would try to get that GRE done ASAP if you are targeting rolling admission schools. Your application will be viewed as "incomplete" at the school generally if they are waiting for your GRE score. The school may start processing and accepting applicants. So definitely start on PTCAS and send that but push for the soonest open test date and get that done.

If the school isn't rolling admission, this stuff won't matter at all. Just make sure everything is in by the school's due date. (Nothing gained by getting the application in early.)

I would try to get that GRE done ASAP if you are targeting rolling admission schools. Your application will be viewed as "incomplete" at the school generally if they are waiting for your GRE score. The school may start processing and accepting applicants. So definitely start on PTCAS and send that but push for the soonest open test date and get that done.

If the school isn't rolling admission, this stuff won't matter at all. Just make sure everything is in by the school's due date. (Nothing gained by getting the application in early.)

While on the topic of GRE, I was wondering how sending scores for that works? Do we have to send it in to PTCAS itself, just to the individual schools, or both?

To give you some context, In my case i'll be applying early decision to a school, and I listed them as one of the recipients for the GRE that I took 5-6 months back. In that case do I have to do anything else on my end in the mean time in regards to the GRE, or how's that work?

Hey everyone!

Just wondering what advice you have in regards to when is the best time to apply to PTCAS? I keep hearing that applying early is best but what constitutes as "early"? Also what programs have rolling admissions?

I also still have yet to take the GRE. I am thinking about taking it either in late July or early August. Since I will be taking it after the PTCAS application opens, should I wait to submit my application until after I have taken the GRE, or do you suggest submitting my application and then just adding my GRE scores once I've taken it?

Thanks in advance!

As an admissions committee member, I highly encourage you to apply early. Nevermind the fact that your GRE isn't taken or your LORs aren't submitted. Get done what you can and submit your application and those items will catch up once you complete them, but similarly, try to get those done as soon as you can as well. I encourage our applicants to apply in July or August. There will be pending coursework and we all understand that. PTCAS accounts for those things. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm fairly sure you only have to record your GRE scores in the application and when you took the test . I know for sure that you do not have to send your scores to PTCAS itself, but to the individual programs you plan to apply to.

When you send GRE scores to a school that uses PTCAS, be sure to use that schools PTCAS code. The school may have one code for the general school and a different code for the PT program. The PTCAS code for the school should be on the PTCAS information page for that school.

I would also recommend getting your information, transcripts, LOR, GRE scores, etc. done as soon as possible.

As a member of an admissions committee, it also helps us if you include courses that you have planned for the future.

If you have any questions about a program, I recommend contacting the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm fairly sure you only have to record your GRE scores in the application and when you took the test . I know for sure that you do not have to send your scores to PTCAS itself, but to the individual programs you plan to apply to.
Oh yes, definitely! Thanks for clarifying that!

Very helpful information everyone. I really appreciate it!

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I had a similar question about GRE. When can I submit them? I'm currently working on PTCAS, but may I go ahead and submit my GRE score from ETS to my intended schools now? Or should I wait to submit PTCAS and GRE at the same time?

Oh yes, definitely! Thanks for clarifying that!

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I had a similar question about GRE. When can I submit them? I'm currently working on PTCAS, but may I go ahead and submit my GRE score from ETS to my intended schools now? Or should I wait to submit PTCAS and GRE at the same time?

No don't wait, do it now. Go on your GRE account and send your GRE scores to the schools that use PTCAS. Make sure to use their PTCAS code. It's about $27 per school to send scores.

Actually it depends on the school. Some schools have a PTCAS GRE code, others have a University code. For the schools that have a PTCAS GRE Code, when you enter that code on your gre account to send your scores, both PTCAS AND the school will receive your scores. For the schools that have a University code, only the school will receive your scores.
I'm applying to 5 schools and they all have PTCAS GRE code so I'm sending my GRE scores to both the school and PTCAS using this one code.
You can verify wether your school has a PTCAS or University code by going on the school's website or by looking the school up on PTCAS under program directory.

No don't wait, do it now. Go on your GRE account and send your GRE scores to the schools that use PTCAS. Make sure to use their PTCAS code. It's about $27 per school to send scores.

Actually it depends on the school. Some schools have a PTCAS GRE code, others have a University code. For the schools that have a PTCAS GRE Code, when you enter that code on your gre account to send your scores, both PTCAS AND the school will receive your scores. For the schools that have a University code, only the school will receive your scores.
I'm applying to 5 schools and they all have PTCAS GRE code so I'm sending my GRE scores to both the school and PTCAS using this one code.
You can verify wether your school has a PTCAS or University code by going on the school's website or by looking the school up on PTCAS under program directory.

Thank you. You've been extremely helpful.