Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I know.. The answer is : Whenever I am ready.
But!

I am a 2011 Cycle applicant.. who will be applying next year in June.
I am taking orgo1 in this coming Fall Semester, and orgo2 + General Bio2 in this following Spring Semester.

I actually want to take the DATs in end of March.. so even if do poorly on my first try... I can take another DAT in end of June and I will be able to make the first-round consideration. (I really want to be considered as one of the first applicants that dental schools look at).

Do you think it is good idea??

Also.. Do you think I can handle the DAT in march even if I haven't fully covered Organic Chem 2 as well as General Bio 2.. Since I will probably be taking those two courses while I take DAT in march.
But, I am going to study with the Kaplan book really hard..

I am aiming to get 20/20/20 AT minimum.

Thanks!

fldnstrm

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
NY,NY
Status
Dental Student
It sounds like the only reason you want to take the DAT in March is in case you score low, you can retake it early in the cycle. Is that right?

I don't think its the best idea. I think you would be better served to spend 2-3 months after your spring semester to study 7-8 hrs a day and get a good high score your first time taking it.

Of course this is just my opinion. I think ADCOMS would rather see one good score, than a poor one and a good one?????

Jul 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
yes I agree with fldnstrm. Make sure you cover everything before you take the DAT. I am kinda in the same situation. I am not applying this cycle but I am still going to take the DAT since I paid for the Kaplan course this summer. I am going to study 8 hours a day the whole month of August and ace the DAT with a score of 25 AA. :) I have to retake ochem the fall of 2010 so I am going to apply June 2011 for admission into the 2012 class.

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
If you want to take the DAT just to see how you perform, then take a PRACTICE exam not the real thing!

Purchase practice exams from TopScore (3 tests) and see how well you do.

OP
J

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you so much guys.
I also think it would be so better to take DAT just once and score high.
I guess that is the best option for me.

I am planning to take DAT in the end of June of next year..

I will probably e-submit my application through aadsas in the early June when the application becomes available.

So, I will submit my apps first then take DAT in 6/20 - 6/30 around that time..

What do you guys think? I am going to start studying for DAT in the beginning of next year and continue study during spring semester as well..
My school ends 5/12 ish.. and I will have about 6 weeks to study my ass off for DATs...

Do you guys think that's enough time for me to put effort for the minimum scores of 20/20/20 ? I am expecting 20-22's..

Thanks!!!!

OP
J

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh.. I am also planning to take Kaplan's course during spring semester.. The course is about 2 months long.. meets twice a week.

xiphoidprocess

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
West Coast
Status
Pre-Dental
I think the best time to take the DAT is right after you have finished Ochem. Use the year to brush up on Gen chem and Bio, and take it when you've taken a bunch of practice tests and feel ready.

Speaking from experience, I learned that the only way to boost my confidence is to take as many practice tests as possible. I started to take practice tests as much as 2 months before. Took one every weekend. I retook a few and by the last two weeks, took one every other day.

It's the only way to make sure you'll feel prepared and do well on the first time, unlike me who didn't take it seriously the first time. Just do your best and you'll make your goals! :)

Good luck with everything!:thumbup:

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Are you sure its 2 months long? It is usually 3 months.....maybe you have the different version or they changed things. But you can always extend the online access for another 3 months, but you sacrifice the higher score guarantee.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey. I did what everyone is suggesting you do. I took the DAT in AUGUST! I took a big risk because I wasn't sure if I was going to apply and I knew if I did i would be pretty late. But I didn't want to sacrifice my score and I told myself I am only taking this damn thing once!

It's the best way to go. Don't second guess yourself. It's a good habit to get used to , I think!

I toko Kaplan as well. Th e class itself sucks. Sit at home and do all those online quizzes and stuff those are pretty helpful. I went through each twice (there are A LOT of them!). And read on the material if you don't get it.

GOod luck!

fldnstrm

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2009
NY,NY
Status
Dental Student
I was told by a number of friends that the actual Kaplan classes are a waste of time. They all told me to just buy the online package and go at my own pace. I did, and I loved the Kaplan materials.

OP
J

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
What are some good practice exams?
So far, I know Kaplan and Topscore have practice exams similar to the real DAT.
Are there anything else that you guys know? or recomend?
thanks!